Treo's...seriously? I didn't know people still used them.

Hands down worst smartphone. Disgusting OS, horrible interface, clunky devices. I'm so glad they are extinct.

Blackberries and Treo's arent even in the same league. It's like comparing a Lexus to a Toyota.
    That's absurd -- considering that Palm pioneered the smartphone genre with the Treo. They have been surpassed in many ways, but still have features that are not found elsewhere (for example, try reading this thread).

Can't argue the point that Treos were clunky for too long. They finally managed to shrink the size somewhat with the Centro and the newest Treos, but the Tour form factor is definitely better.
    08-18-09 09:21 AM
    My wife and I are considering switching from Treos (650 and 700P) to BB Tours and have questions for those who have made the switch:

1. Can we get our get our Palm data to the BB if we have synched our Palms to Outlook without using the Switch wizard?

2. My wife uses notes on her calendar entries heavily. Is there a shortcut way to get to a note on the BB calendar similar to hitting the note icon on a Treo or do you have to open the calendar entry and scroll down?

3. Is there a character limit on the size of the note?

4. I know we can show Tasks in the calendar. Do they remain there on successive dates until marked done? We are looking for a substitute for floats on DB6.

Sorry for all of the questions.

Anything else we should know about switching over.

Thanks.
    08-18-09 11:04 AM
    My wife and I are considering switching from Treos (650 and 700P) to BB Tours and have questions for those who have made the switch:

1. Can we get our get our Palm data to the BB if we have synched our Palms to Outlook without using the Switch wizard?

As long as your data is in Outlook, it will sync to the BB.

2. My wife uses notes on her calendar entries heavily. Is there a shortcut way to get to a note on the BB calendar similar to hitting the note icon on a Treo or do you have to open the calendar entry and scroll down?

No...you have to open the event and edit the note section.

????????

4. I know we can show Tasks in the calendar. Do they remain there on successive dates until marked done? We are looking for a substitute for floats on DB6.

No but there are 3rd party apps that do floats like Pocketday and ToDo Matrix. It also woudn't hurt to email CESD at Pimlico (Datebk6 developer) and request that Pimlical be ported to BB.

Just set the Desktop Manager to have Outlook overwrite the BB device. It is also a good idea to backup the Outlook .pst file just to be safe. I switched from a 755p and it went without a hitch.

Thanks.
    Please see comments in red.
    08-18-09 04:23 PM

Hands down worst smartphone. Disgusting OS, horrible interface, clunky devices. I'm so glad they are extinct.

Blackberries and Treo's arent even in the same league. It's like comparing a Lexus to a Toyota.
    I love it when make themselves look ********! Haha, Lexus is owned/made by Toyota!

I absolutly loved my Treo 755p but the screen finally broke so I moved on to the 8330. I miss the keyboard and threaded sms. I also agree that the 5-way is Way better than the trackball. I'm hoping Palm releases a better device soon to pair with the Pres awesome os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 06:27 PM
    I was a long time 755p user . . . . just make the switch and you will never look back!

Don't pay attention to all the whiners about trackball issues or no wifi etc. (you don't need wifi when you have a truely unlimited data plan, not a 5 mb maximum like the treo had).

If you ever frequented the forums for the Treo like Treocentral.com it had all the same complainers each time a new Treo model came out.

The first OS update usually address's most of the software glitches inherent with a new device rollout (unless you are Palm and don't do an update for 2 years).

These type of forums usually seem overweighted with complaints because people that are happy with their devices usually don't post all that much on the forums until they have an issue.

The Tour is currently the best PDA on the market. When Treo cornered the PDA market years ago Blackberry was just an email type device for business users on their companies server.

Blackberry in my opinion had already captured a big market share of business users and it was a natual for them to move into the PDA market they did a super job improving each device.

My Tour is flawless!
    08-18-09 06:50 PM
    I love it when make themselves look ********! Haha, Lexus is owned/made by Toyota!

I absolutly loved my Treo 755p but the screen finally broke so I moved on to the 8330. I miss the keyboard and threaded sms. I also agree that the 5-way is Way better than the trackball. I'm hoping Palm releases a better device soon to pair with the Pres awesome os.

Way to butcher my point genius. Lexus = top-of-the-line, Toyota = not-so-much. I wasn't making any other sort of analogy.
    08-18-09 08:06 PM
    [QUOTE=10UHC;3344683]Coming from a Palm-->Treo LOVER, I can honestly say that after a years worth of Blackberry use, RIM has it hands down.
    /QUOTE]

Hmm. I'm also a Treo lover but I don't share the same enthusiasm with RIM as you do. I owned a 700p, 755p and 2 Centros. I personally think the 755p was better than my curve. I have fairly huge hands so the bulkiness was welcome lol. Plus the touchscreen make navigation easier. Plus I didn't have to do battery pulls everyday to keep it running smoothly.

Do I regret switching to a BB? **** no. The only thing I miss is the touchscreen. Otherwise I'm good!
    08-19-09 02:09 AM
    Why are we even having this conversation? Clearly the sales statistics show the BlackBerry's are better than the Palm's. The Pre is going to be the end of Palm (or so we hope). I would take an iPhone before I would ever take any Palm, and I hate iPhones.

Let's compare:
    Palm Pre - Opening Week - 100,000 units sold
    BlackBerry Tour - Opening DAY - Verizon alone sold over 300,000 units
    Apple iPhone 3GS - Opening Weekend - over 1,000,000 units sold

What always amazes me is the Apple loyal will line up for days to buy the exact same thing that they just bought 6 months prior because the new one has an extra new letter at the end. If BlackBerry users were that dumb, RIM would be the most successful company in the world.
    Last edited by phantomsax; 08-19-09 at 03:25 AM. Reason: correction
    08-19-09 03:23 AM
    Why are we even having this conversation? Clearly the sales statistics show the BlackBerry's are better than the Palm's. The Pre is going to be the end of Palm (or so we hope). I would take an iPhone before I would ever take any Palm, and I hate iPhones.

Let's compare:
    Palm Pre - Opening Week - 100,000 units sold
    BlackBerry Tour - Opening DAY - Verizon alone sold over 300,000 units
    Apple iPhone 3GS - Opening Weekend - over 1,000,000 units sold
    Huh?!? No-one is comparing the Pre or the iPhone to the Tour. This thread is about the Tour and the Treo.

But thank you for settling any possible debate with your conclusive "sales statistics." Do the sales statistics also clearly show that McDonald's is better than every other restaurant?
    08-19-09 10:31 AM

Thanks.
    I don't think there is a BB app that comes close to Datebk at this point. But the company that developed Datebk just put out a new desktop app called Pimlical, and they are supposedly working on mobile versions now, including one for BB.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2585-1.htm
    Pimlico Software home page
    08-19-09 10:33 AM
    Wow ... This is a pretty interesting thread. In preface, I'm an IT admin; And had a couple old Palm organizers, then the 650, then the 700p.

First off, when switching between devices, you don't need to have anything with Outlook. Just make sure you've got a compatible version of the Palm Desktop software and BB Desktop Manager installed on the same machine (just search this site, there's plenty of information on versions). Then, back up your Treos, and use the convenient "Device Switch Wizard" in Desktop Manager. Voila.

Next - to the Lexus/Toyota discussion. OP of the argument stated that Treos and BBs aren't even in the same class. They're smartphones, and pretty darn good ones (in fact, Treo was better for its time). So, more like a '91 LS400 vs. a new IS300. TIME is the difference in this discussion.

Lastly, the vote between. I loved my Treos. After the Treo, I had the Curve, Storm, and now the Tour. You get used to the OS changes between the two, and eventually the BB will overrule the Palm platform in your eyes, too. Sure, it's missing some simple things (threaded SMS, etc.). But, the additional features available in a BlackBerry OS are far more advanced (and secure) than any previous smartphones (IMO).
    08-19-09 11:24 AM

A Lexus is a Toyota
    08-19-09 03:00 PM
    A Lexus is a Toyota
    Oh Sure! I supposed the next thing you'll want us to compare is an Acura to a Honda . . .

Whatya think we all just fell off the turnip truck
    Last edited by expidia; 08-19-09 at 04:48 PM.
    08-19-09 04:41 PM
    Way to butcher my point genius. Lexus = top-of-the-line, Toyota = not-so-much. I wasn't making any other sort of analogy.
    Your welcome!

08-19-09 05:34 PM
    The Treo 755p was nice, if they would have just made the screen bigger and the device thinner, it would have been better than that poorly put together Pre
    I totally agree!
    08-23-09 08:33 PM
    I'm about 2.5 weeks into using my Tour and am getting used to it. I still think the Palm Treo 755p was and is a great phone but time is passing it by. It's bulkiness and lack if up to date graphics is going to put an end to it over time. Sad to say from such a Treo lover as I but those are the facts.

I agree with Imfreddiemac (nice handle - I'm in the Mortgage Banking business also!) that the 755p would be perfect if they slimmed it down and updated graphics. Not going to happen so i'm on to the Tour. I wanted the Pre but the main reason I didn't stay with Palm is the keyboard on the Pre is too tiny for me and my current corporate plan doesn't work with the simply everything plan that is required with Sprint to have the Pre.

I'd love the Tour more if they had 5-way navigation and rounded keys. I guess you can't make everyone happy.
    08-23-09 08:45 PM

The Lexus IS a Toyota!!!!!
    09-01-09 10:31 PM
    The Lexus IS a Toyota!!!!!
    09-01-09 10:31 PM
    I miss CallRec I had on my Treo 755p. About the only thing I miss from my Treo.
    09-02-09 01:18 AM
    Very useful thread. I am about to finally abandon my Treo 755p. I am on my second refurb, which is dying. I plan to get a Tour, with Verizon, as I cannot wait for Verizon to offer the Pre.
    I have been syncing to Outlook 2003. Is that OK to transfer all my data to the BB, or must I upgrade to Outlook 2007.
    Also, what happens to the data in Jfile, an old Palm OS database program? Thank you.hr
    Last edited by rablaw; 09-07-09 at 01:51 PM. Reason: to subscribe to thread
    09-07-09 12:42 PM
    Not so sure about Jfile but Outlook 2003 should work just fine.

09-07-09 12:47 PM
    Very useful thread. I am about to finally abandon my Treo 755p. I am on my second refurb, which is dying. I plan to get a Tour, with Verizon, as I cannot wait for Verizon to offer the Pre.
    I have been syncing to Outlook 2003. Is that OK to transfer all my data to the BB, or must I upgrade to Outlook 2007.
    Also, what happens to the data in Jfile, an old Palm OS database program? Thank you.hr
    Not sure about the Jfile's but if you use BB Enterprise system your info will "sync" automatically. Now that I am a BB user for 30 days or so, I still miss my Treo's navigation ability. The five-way works much better than the trackball, hands down. Other than a few other items, I think I have made the transition nicely. You will love the graphics and capabilities of applications versus the Treo. I guess if BB had the five-way rather than the trackball and threaded txts I would love it. The first few weeks you will miss your Treo, but will get used to the BB. Good luck.
    09-07-09 03:39 PM
    Thanks.
    My calendar changes constantly. Are you aware of any programs similar to "shortcuts" in the Treo? e.g. I use various forms for different types of calendar entries, and just fill in the blanks.

I was playing with both the BB Tour at Verizon, and a Pre at Sprint this afternoon. I may just decide to wait until the Pre arrives at Verizon in Dec. or Jan.
    09-07-09 03:51 PM
    Thanks.
    My calendar changes constantly. Are you aware of any programs similar to "shortcuts" in the Treo? e.g. I use various forms for different types of calendar entries, and just fill in the blanks.
    Sorry, it's been a couple of years - can you remind me what "shortcuts" did? There might be a way to get something close to that functionality through either a launcher app, convenience keys, or a theme, but perhaps not exactly what you had.
    09-07-09 04:13 PM
    Being a long-term Treo user (see sig), I have to agree with many of the comments in this thread and thought I'd throw my $.02 in.

The Treo was a pioneering device and IMHO was the best back in the day. However, like dinosaurs it couldn't stand the test of time. That's not to say RIM didn't pioneer as well - they definitely did and IIRC, Palm licensed their keyboard design from RIM.

In my opinion the Tour is the best BB for my needs so far. It's not perfect yet as it still lacks IMAP and threaded SMS, but hopefully we'll see that eventually (in OS5.0) if rumors hold true. I still miss the touchscreen interface although I've learned to live without it. Palm apps were designed for it, so it made for a clean and easy UI with much fewer menu hunts. I liked the Curve keyboard a little better because of the rounded keys. Somehow I had more confidence I was pressing the right one with rounded keys vs the "flat" on the Tour. I can get used to the difference though.

Yes, RIM stock and sales have far surpassed Palm's. For some of us who have lived with desirable features from Palm, I think we just want to see them in our RIM devices, so it's a persuit of perfection regardless of sales figures. RIM has definitely improved and are slowly filling their gaps (HTML email, web browser, etc).
    09-07-09 04:24 PM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD