Good Morning,

I currently have the Tour with VZW and I have not been too happy with the phone. When I bought the phone, on release day, it was speculated that the OS 5 upgrade would be out shortly and now that it is out I am not all that pleased with it. And to top it off, the phone is on the EOL list.

I have been thinking about leaving my much love BB to go to something new. Originally, I was thinking Droid, but I want a keyboard and I don't like the Moto Droid much. Then the Palm Pre Plus popped on my radar and from what I can tell it looks like a solid phone. I just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on the phone? If anyone switched to the phone and their feelings on it?

Thanks,
    Brian
    04-13-10 08:44 AM
    I switched to a Pre from the Tour and I love it. But then again I wasn't too fond of the Blackberry from the start. Everything for me on the Pre is better than with the Tour, with the exception of battery life (which isn't the greatest, but is ok).

If you haven't been too happy with the Tour then give the Pre a try. You can always switch back if you don't like it.
    04-13-10 09:21 AM
    The pre is ok but the keyboard on it is HORRIFIC. I have big hands and its really difficult to type on it, especially the top row. I even considered the pixi but the smaller screen size was a no go.

I think you should try 5.0.0.419 from mts mobility. It will run amazing, better battery life, threaded sms, improved media player, the list goes on. Unless you need push to talk, .419 is fine. I guess one day i will try the .484 but im good for now.
    04-13-10 09:36 AM
    I don't mind the keyboard on the Pre actually. But I used Treos for years so my fingers must be used to them Actually from friends of mine with Pres I haven't heard any complaints about the keyboard.
    04-13-10 10:42 AM
    The pre is ok but the keyboard on it is HORRIFIC. I have big hands and its really difficult to type on it, especially the top row. I even considered the pixi but the smaller screen size was a no go.

I think you should try 5.0.0.419 from mts mobility. It will run amazing, better battery life, threaded sms, improved media player, the list goes on. Unless you need push to talk, .419 is fine. I guess one day i will try the .484 but im good for now.
    I've been running .419 also withut any issues. I'd like to upgrade though because I've read the newer OS's have the added SMS to be viewable from "hidden today".
    04-13-10 01:20 PM
    I really like my Tour (six months old) but am thinking of getting a Pre when I'm eligible. The $50 Pre Plus with free wifi hotpsot feature is a great deal. I may get an ipad and the hot spot feature would be the perfect complement.

I've handled a pre and really like the OS and form factor but I would really miss BB Messenger.
    04-13-10 01:51 PM
    I think verizon is phasing out the pre because of poor sales.....how can a smartphone drop in price so fast?
    04-13-10 02:19 PM
    I think verizon is phasing out the pre because of poor sales.....how can a smartphone drop in price so fast?
    This is one of my concerns... but not too much of a concern as Palm is stillpushing the phone, i.e. it is being released to ATT soon.

I am concerned what will happen if Palm gets sold off
    04-13-10 03:22 PM
    I am a Tour user myself but just picked up a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon for my wife. I did it to take advantage of the 3G hotspot for a driving trip across country last week. After playing with it, here are my thoughts.

For me, the keyboard is horrible. But I think most would agree, if you are looking for a physical keyboard, BB is the way to go. Not only is it too small for my fingers, the Verizon Plus version has some documented double entry issues on the keyboard.

WebOs is a very interesting and cool platform. Web Browsing is awesome. But it sucks on the BB so anything would be better. But kidding aside, it is a very good browsing experience.

The 3G hotspot (and free pricing from Verizon) is awesome. It works great and Verizon's network might not be the fastest, but it does give a pretty consistant coverage area so not much in drops. I drove from WI to CO and never lost connection once.

Email / calendar integration is great if you use a online email service such as gmail. If you are like my wife that just has a calendar on Outlook, it is not so easy to sync. We have found that the easiest is to set up a gmail account and route everything through that, then it sync's wirelessly on the Pre. But from the phone itself, you cannot accept an invitation (sent via email) and have it automatically show up in calendar.

Basically it is a good phone with a really cool platform. Just decide what you need it for. If you are a casual email/calendar type of person that wants cool games and great web browsing, the Pre will be fine. If you are a heavy business (lack of a better word) user, it might not be the device.

Verizon gives you 30 days with any purchase. I say go get one while the price is right (the free 3G hotspot will be available through May only) and if you don't like it take it back.

Also, go to the Palmcentral.net site and you can ask from the folks rolling with the Pre.
    04-13-10 03:52 PM
    I would so love webos on a bb.....
    04-13-10 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD