Ok. I have a Verizon Tour and I upgraded from 4.7.x to 5.0.0.230 earlier this morning. Going in, my expectations were as follows:

BB OS 4.7.x

BB OS 5.0.x

I'm here to tell you it just ain't like that. It's more like this:

BB OS 4.7.x

BB OS 5.0.x

If you're thinking OS 5 is going to be some magical new experience with all kinds of new, jaw-dropping features, well, you're in for some disappointment. But it's not bad. I'm just saying, go into it with realistic expectations.

In the hour that I've been using OS 5, what I've noticed besides the Threaded SMS (which is a giant win), is icon highlighting is now blue. I think it was black before. The menu to set alarm is a little more polished.

That's it! OS 5 is just a little more polished than 4.7. Well I have to leave and buy groceries, but I wanted to share some early impressions for those out there who are on the fence about trying the beta/leaked 5.0.0.230 that's out there.

It's easy enough to install. The FAQs and threads on here provide perfect guidance. Just read them (seriously, read them), backup your stuff, then give it a whirl. Set aside a solid hour and you'll be all set.

Have fun. Will post more when the milk's in the fridge!
    11-21-09 11:29 AM
    Lolol...now that's what I call a creative post...cool man...loved it...made my morning..Good Job.
    11-21-09 11:35 AM
    I hate to say it...but this has kind of been known for a long time now.

And while polishing is definitely nice, the reason a lot of people are fed up is because RIM is like Palm right now. Rehashing BBOS, we're due for our own WebOS release.

I know for one, by the time my contract ends next year, if RIM doesn't have something revolutionary out...I'm migrating over to Android or the Verizon iPhone (yes it's coming, no I'm not giving details).
    11-21-09 12:07 PM
    LOL, awesome post!

And yes, I do agree. While I have yet to try out 5.0 myself, it just doesn't seem worth the upgrade. I would expect loads of bugs, and I would ultimately switch back to 4.7.
    11-21-09 12:20 PM
    let me tell you this

IMO, OS 5 is not a new OS but is a refined version of 4.7

You are going to be familiar with most of UI elements and you'd know how to do the things that you used to do in 4.7

Revolutionary stuff from RIM? I doubt it. Because it has always been like this for RIM.
    11-21-09 12:22 PM
    Great analogy
    11-21-09 12:23 PM
    I've tried it before. People say that 5.0 has no lag (or less lag than 4.7). My experience tells me that 5.0 on my phone lags more than 4.7. The one thing I like is that I haven't had any crashes due to random app installations.
    11-21-09 12:27 PM
    yeah... its nothing crazy, and i hate the blue highlighting. Anyone know if that can be changed back to black?

I only tried 5.0 bc i thought it had tabbed browsing.
    11-21-09 12:28 PM
    Wow expectations lol Its funny how people seem to forget that beta and leaked versions are not the final version and almost anything can be subject to change and things u may or may not like might not even be in the final released version. I would prefer no headaches. I'm sticking to 4 71 even after 50 is released. Final 5.0 will most certainly have bugs or issues. I am not sure why anyone would put software on their phone thats not final by the manufacturer. Its kinda like asking for trouble. And it would be funny when a leaked version fries a phone and the carrier or rim sees what was done and does not honer a warranty. just my thoughts.. Go 4 71..
    11-21-09 12:46 PM
    How can software actually fry a phone? No matter what I have done to my phone software-wise, I have always been able to restore it. Its like a virus on your PC, what's the worst case scenario? You format your hard drive and start over, its not like a virus or beta software can actually damage your motherboard or anything. Its the same with your BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 12:53 PM
    LOL creativity FTW but thanks for sharing your insights I'm still on 4.7.140 iv put up wit the lag & whatnot as part of the phones personality haha

11-21-09 01:16 PM
    And I like that it has predictive texting too. I like running th .230 so far. Haven't ran into any problems like everybody is saying. Ill keep on here.

11-21-09 01:19 PM
    Loved the car analogy. Altho i'd prefer a 76 camaro over the joke they released this year.
    Last edited by redwanhuq; 11-21-09 at 02:11 PM.
    11-21-09 02:09 PM
    OP is right. I installed 5.0 , looked outside my window , and my car still looks the same .

Seriously, nothing life changing about 5.0 !

11-21-09 02:20 PM
    OS5 with a hybrid is way better then just plain OS5.230. I personally recommend irtehun's hybrid for the Tour, found @ BBHybrids - Blackberry Hybrids

v7.11 is smokin!
    11-21-09 02:21 PM
    OS5 with a hybrid is way better then just plain OS5.230. I personally recommend irtehun's hybrid for the Tour, found @ BBHybrids - Blackberry Hybrids

v7.11 is smokin!
    I'm just in the process of downloading their version 7.11. Is this in place of the .230 version or does one install the initial .230 and then run this to overwrite certain files (cods or what have you)?

Thanks in advance (from someone who is still running the orig Verizon .40 OS)
    11-21-09 02:39 PM
    LOL, I agree with the OP and Slashdpc. Nothing earth-shattering (but I didn't expect much) but I do like the new dictionary, the threaded SMS, and anyone upgrading should use Irtehun's 7.11 hybrid.
    11-21-09 02:42 PM
    Anyone searching for a blackberry that will do more than it's designed to do should move on to something else. The "winning" recipe has not and most likely will not change dramatically. Take a GPS...say Garmin for example. They have the same format and principle that they've had for years and simply tweak on what has been successful. Coke tried to change things up years ago with a different recipe and as we know went back to Coke Classic. When something is working and you have all the ingredients in place, you can expect the basis or platform to remain in tact. That's what we've been seeing here with subtle changes to trackballs and styling. The overall experience hasn't really changed dramatically and nor should it. There are other phones out there for the general public to satisfy that hunger for a "fun device". Blackberries were and still are designed to be a communication device first and foremost....anything else it does is an added bonus.
    11-21-09 03:02 PM
    The only thing I want from 5.0 is a more stable signal strength. Does it at least have that?
    11-21-09 04:00 PM
    Ok. Got back from groceries. And had to buy Christmas decorations, too. And the Christmas carols are in full-effect in Wal-Mart.... I can't take it...

Anyways...

Polish. Subtle changes. That's the thinking here. That's what comes to mind as I continue to tinker with OS 5. Have I explored 10 layers deep and tested every single option of every menu? Well, no... Not yet at least.. But from what I've seen so far, it's clear that this is a case of RIM, Verizon, and whoever else just not wanting to F-up a good thing. Update what needs updating and throw in a few tweaks and winks for the 'fans'. But that's it...

Geeks like us are going to notice the teensy changes like the on-screen font being a little different/smaller/better and that some of the icons have been tweaked ever so slightly. But what RIM and everyone else wants to avoid is releasing an OS that's gonna upset the herd. The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. Let's say that 5.0 had been dramatically different. All of us on here would be able to navigate the changes just fine. And we'd er..complain and moan just like we always do. But imagine how upsetting (good or bad) those changes would be to the zillions of normal BB users. Verizon and the other carriers would have a big mess on their hands and could risk losing lots of customers. And nobody wants that...especially these days...

But back to the OS...

If you wanna give it a shot, I say go for it. Just don't jump head first. Be smart. Read the posts on here and be prepared. If you're leaving in 30 min to go see "New Moon", then hold off until you get back. Trust me. You can't rush this.

You're gonna need every minute of an hour for the upgrade to install. Be patient. Backup all the stuff you care about. Then carefully step through the install. And don't multi-task on your computer. I'm sure nothing would happen otherwise, but why gamble with your precious Tour that could cost you hundreds of dollars to replace? Just watch one or two shows that you've TiVo'd or BitTorrented...

Besides... you'll need those dollars to buy cheeseburgers and hot coffee for standing in line for Black Friday deals!

Good luck!
    Last edited by wattage; 11-21-09 at 04:05 PM.
    11-21-09 04:00 PM
    i just upgraded to 5.0 about 20 minutes ago. So far i think it runs alot smoother, and i definitely missed having threaded messages like i did on my versa, it makes my life so much easier
    11-21-09 04:06 PM
    I don't understand why this is still being discussed. Noone said 5.0 would be revolutionary! Its an UPGRADE...that's it. Its been polished, with some new features, and a performance boost...that's all. I don't understand why people assume its going to be this huge grand release...its still the BBOS, but with a graphical overhaul(kind of) and a speed boost. No more, no less. Its like going from Win98 to XP...or Mac OSX 10.5 to 10.6

11-21-09 04:30 PM
    Apps need to be updated for 5.0 before I upgrade.

11-21-09 06:01 PM
    Almost all apps are updated now. I run about 30, which one are you waiting for?

11-21-09 06:22 PM
    I don't understand why this is still being discussed. Noone said 5.0 would be revolutionary! Its an UPGRADE...that's it. Its been polished, with some new features, and a performance boost...that's all. I don't understand why people assume its going to be this huge grand release...its still the BBOS, but with a graphical overhaul(kind of) and a speed boost. No more, no less. Its like going from Win98 to XP...or Mac OSX 10.5 to 10.6

Maybe cuz it went from a 4 to a 5.....
    11-21-09 06:25 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD