This question has probably already been asked, but I was unable to find it anywhere.

I spoke to a Verizon rep whenever I had to get the trackball replaced, and they something about not using a leaked version of the bb os because it will void the insurance. I talked to another rep who said that it wouldn't. I was just wondering which one is true. Will downloading and installing an unofficial OS cause my insurance to be voided?

Thanks
    12-20-09 05:32 PM
    no.
    you can always go back to the stock os with no issues...
    i guess unless your charging/data port malfunctions then you can't...
    12-20-09 05:56 PM
    This question has probably already been asked, but I was unable to find it anywhere.

I spoke to a Verizon rep whenever I had to get the trackball replaced, and they something about not using a leaked version of the bb os because it will void the insurance. I talked to another rep who said that it wouldn't. I was just wondering which one is true. Will downloading and installing an unofficial OS cause my insurance to be voided?

Thanks
    Insurance covers everything. You could run it over with a steamroller and still have it covered by insurance, you just pay the deductible. I wouldn't see why installing another OS would void the insurance.
    12-21-09 08:51 AM
    Insurance covers everything. You could run it over with a steamroller and still have it covered by insurance, you just pay the deductible. I wouldn't see why installing another OS would void the insurance.
    Exactly, insurance covers the outside (hardware) of the phone, the OS shouldn't void anything when it comes to insurance. As for having 5.0 when you return a phone. Upon arrival of your phone to VZW, they plug it in, and wipe it clean, then look at the problems and see if the wipe they did cleared the problem, and they have a new replacement device to send out to a happy vzw customer lol.
    12-21-09 09:36 AM
    I replaced multiple 8330s with non-standard OSes on them with Verizon. This wasn't insurance, mind you, but warranty. The one they specifically say is voided by using an OS not approved by them. Never had a problem.

If they tell you it voids the insurance and you're worried about it, hit your phone with a hammer and then send it back. Good luck discovering what OS I had on it now...... =P
    12-21-09 10:49 AM
    if they won't take it because of the os, repeatedly smash it on the table in front of them so that the os is no longer an issue. or, if you need it replaced by insurance, just tell them you lost it and throw it in the trash. (if you keep it, thats fraud.)
    12-21-09 12:02 PM
    I think it behooves the average consumer to be cautious. I would recommend wiping the device and reloading the stock OS before returning it. Swift, painless, uncomplicated, and, hey presto, the issue is nipped in the bud.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-09 12:03 PM
    is the extra insurance that i pay for every month voided if i break the tamper seal?
    12-22-09 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD