I decided I needed to catch up with the modern world so bought a 2nd hand blackberry tour. I am retired and travel between the UK and USA so bought this model so I can switch sims in both countries and use same phone with non contract providers in both countries (virgin in UK, wallmart family plan USA (Via T mobile)). The phone was with verizon but was unlocked so I can make and receive calls but cant find a browser Icon. Also I tried with the blackberry desktop to sync contacts, diary tasks etc with out look but the tour does not seem to have received contacts. Can anyone pls help ?

Thanks --Nick
    03-06-11 10:43 AM
    As one old fart to another, we both may be too old for this game.

Once Desktop Manager (DM) is installed, connect the phone and look at the bottom left of the DM panel. Initially it will say None. This should change to show a number (called you PIN). It's an unique number per BlackBerry. In this case it shows that your is connected to DM.

You need to set up Syncronization so work through the setup and then click Synchronize. Contacts and Calender and whatever you set up will not be copied to the phone.

I too travel between the UK and the US (my son lives in the US) and I do pretty much the same as you are planning.

I'll help if I can. The trouble is, they keep changing the user interface on DM and it depends on whaich version you have as to which bittons you neeed to press.
    03-06-11 11:00 AM
    As to the lack of the browser icon, you will not get that unless you have an a BlackBerry Data Plan.
    03-06-11 12:06 PM
    Thanks Pete--I updates the DM and now have version 5.0.0.975. I went into organiser and after a couple of abortive attempts it worked --Hurrah !! Now I have to solve the browser issue and find out how to receive e mail--i`ll spend the afternoon reading up articles on crackberry and see if I can work it out but if you have any ideas they would be gratefully received! Where in the UK and USA do you live ? Which providers do you use in the US and UK? We have always used pay as you go vurgin in both counries but are trying wallmarts new family plan-it uses the T mobile network and is 75 USD for unlimited calls and texts-limited data, for 2 lines-seems good value ?

Best wishes, Nick

As one old fart to another, we both may be too old for this game.

Once Desktop Manager (DM) is installed, connect the phone and look at the bottom left of the DM panel. Initially it will say None. This should change to show a number (called you PIN). It's an unique number per BlackBerry. In this case it shows that your is connected to DM.

You need to set up Syncronization so work through the setup and then click Synchronize. Contacts and Calender and whatever you set up will not be copied to the phone.

I too travel between the UK and the US (my son lives in the US) and I do pretty much the same as you are planning.

I'll help if I can. The trouble is, they keep changing the user interface on DM and it depends on whaich version you have as to which bittons you neeed to press.
    03-06-11 04:55 PM
    Thanks for your reply, is that a specific plan from the provider ? On the wallmart family plan through T mobile I have data-will that not work to give me e mails and web access?-Thanks for your help-Nick

As to the lack of the browser icon, you will not get that unless you have an a BlackBerry Data Plan.
    03-06-11 04:57 PM
    I do not believe that the WalMart Family Plan provides BlackBerry Data. A generic or smartphone data plan will not work for a BlackBerry.

TMobile used to offer BlackBerry Data on their Even More Plus Plans. But you should contact them for specifics.
    03-06-11 05:03 PM
    Thanks Pete--I updates the DM and now have version 5.0.0.975. I went into organiser and after a couple of abortive attempts it worked --Hurrah !! Now I have to solve the browser issue and find out how to receive e mail--i`ll spend the afternoon reading up articles on crackberry and see if I can work it out but if you have any ideas they would be gratefully received! Where in the UK and USA do you live ? Which providers do you use in the US and UK? We have always used pay as you go vurgin in both counries but are trying wallmarts new family plan-it uses the T mobile network and is 75 USD for unlimited calls and texts-limited data, for 2 lines-seems good value ?

Best wishes, Nick
    1). Like MotorCycle Mama says, you need a BlackBerry Data Plan to make internet (browser) and email services work. These are chargable services.

2). I live in Berkshire in the UK and I visit my son in Charlotte, NC.

3). My main phone is on O2 (SIMplicity 600 for 600 minutes, unlimites SMS and BlackBerry Data Plan for 20 UK pounds per month). My 2nd UK BlackBerry is on Orange PAYG (pre-paid) + 5 pounds a month for the BlackBerry Data Plan.

4). In the US I have my son buy me an AT&T GO Phone SIM card and I then buy the ridiculously expensise extra data BUT here there is no BlackBerry Data Plan. Just dumb old data. I use my main BlackBerry on my son;s WiFi and I keep a spare laptop PC at his house and just carry a USB drive with my data on it. This gives me more or less what I want.
    03-06-11 06:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD