Sigh, trackball issue...should I bother returning it(got it for free) or junk it? From what I'm reading even the replacements people are getting develop this issue. With so many people having this issue I've been trying to find something from RIM stating they are aware of the issue and working on a fix but haven't found anything? Aside from the busted trackball its a great phone love the keyboard compared to the Curve's and its faster in general. What should I do? THanks
    11-17-09 07:47 PM
    Exchange it for another Tour. There are plenty that have never had the dreaded trackball issue. i believe the Tours out now do not have the issue.

i've been lucky that i haven't had the TB issue. 9630 is a great upgrade from 8330. Stick with it, imo.

Some folks have claimed that TB issues are software related. You may want to upgrade to OS 5.0. Only do that if you feel confident in your upgrade abilities because you *could brick your BlackBerry and it takes time and know-how to get it up and running.

Good luck whatever your decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-09 07:54 PM
    Yeah I got my tour a month ago and I have no trackball issues. There are good tours out there, I promise!
    11-17-09 08:55 PM
    Same here buddy. My Tour had minor track-ball issues, but the latest update seems to take care of it.

I would have them exchange it. If you have to, get a new one one a week. Eventually they will get sick of giving you repl phones, and will do something more substantable.
    11-18-09 12:00 AM
    I've had 3 Tours...software issue on #1...trackball on #2...NOTHING WRONG with #3. In fact, I have never had a better trackball on any blackberry that I've owned and I've had 5 or 6 different models over the years. So there has been some improvement and it looks like RIM has been addressing these issues.
    11-18-09 12:05 AM
    its light years ahead of the curve, I don't see how you could go back, get a replacement, you will be singing a different tune afterward

11-18-09 12:10 AM
    I got my tour in july and have never had the trackball issue. I can tell you that upgrading to 5.0.0.230 made everything much better for me. My advice is to get a replacement. Some of the replacements have been coming with .61, which also worked well. Get the replacement then upgrade to .230. You won't be disappointed.
    11-18-09 06:28 AM
    i just upgraded from the 8330 and my first tour was a "lg green dot" tour and tb was fine, i had to exchange because of some browser issue and rather than trying to reload software or figure out the issue best buy just swapped me with a another new one, this one was brand new (no green dot) and tb is fine.

i'd exchange it!!
    11-18-09 06:53 AM
    Your could always get a replacement, and then if you wanted, since you got it for free, ebay it and get $ to buy a Tour2 or some other model......

But I agree with the above comments. There are good Tours out there. I have one, with only having had to do one replacement. And I thought I was being anal about that first one and when I made the switch, OMG, it was so noticable being able to use them side by side. The Tour is my first BB and I love it.
    11-18-09 07:33 AM
    my tour i've had since the week after release has yet to fail me...but if you dont want yours feel free to send it to me i'd love a backup

seriously tho, jlb's idea was good with the ebay move...sell it & stick with the curve then go for the essex when it comes out. the curve's easily been my most fave bb to date...stable as all heck and comfy too. plus i miss the wide shift buttons on that guy
    11-18-09 09:39 AM
    My dad got his tour at the end of August and he has had no problems at all with it.

11-18-09 10:14 AM
    i got my tour release day and dont have a single issue with it. the battery door is slightly loose, but since i have a case its not a big deal to me.
    id say swap it out i would never consider going back to my curve. the tour is that much better.
    11-18-09 10:27 AM
    I'd at least try another Tour. I got mine on release and it's still perfect. No issues for me.

11-18-09 10:38 AM
    Just junk it... It's hardly worth the effort, it's only worth $300-500 ...
    11-18-09 10:44 AM
    I bought mine used and never had any problems with it.

I will take it off you hands if you don't want it, but I think you should exchange it for a new one. The Tour is so much better than the Curve.
    11-18-09 10:44 AM
    Definitely exchange it - the new Tours are solid and the Curve is a dinosaur at this point.
    11-18-09 12:10 PM
    Seriously, is this a question you need input for?

My new car has a flat tire. Should i just junk it and ride the bus or get it fixed?
    11-18-09 12:14 PM
    If my tire kept going flat every few weeks I would ride the bus to work untill the tire maker builds better ones.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 11-18-09 at 01:08 PM.
    11-18-09 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD