Hey guys,
    I'm looking to see if anyone can help me -

You know how every now and then the screen goes black after not using it.. well in order to hop it back to life you usually press the BACK key or the MENU key or something, but for me.. the tour's just completely unresponsive to any click of anything. I either have to press REALLY hard a few times, checking each key until the screen is visible again, or just wait until it feels like working.

Please, this is my 6th tour and I just got it today (brand new, not a refurb). I haven't wet it or anything..

please please please have a solution or at least KNOW what I'm referring to??

11-18-09 03:31 AM
    What you are describing is the "normal" lag that I also experience. If you are using the Memory Cleaning security utility, you might try changing it from the default 5 minutes of idle time to 30 minutes of idle time before it runs. The cleaning process seems to take longer on the 9630 than it did on my 8830. Running it less often means it is less likely to be running when you try to use your device, eliminating that source of lag.

Pressing the button firmly is purely psychological, as is my furious clicking of the escape button. Taking out our frustration on the key doesn't really do anything.
    11-18-09 07:15 AM
    Why have the Memory cleaning on if it laggs the phone. Just do it manually once in a while. OP just make sure you dont leave all your apps runnng in the background, and perform a battery pull or reboot regularly. Six phones....could be a bit of user error. 3rd party apps can also be the cause, OS version, you can try a wipe and install, OS upgrade. Tours are supposed to run pretty fast, i have NEVER seen any kind of lag on my Tour .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 07:33 AM
    In my case, Memory Cleaning is required by my IT Policy. I can't disable it, but I can run it every 30 minutes of idle time instead of every 5 minutes. I also disabled it running every time I holstered the Tour. That was a big improvement. Frequently I'd holster the Tour, then think of something else, take it out immediately, and wait in frustration for the clock to stop spinning.

I agree that Memory Cleaning is not necessary for the majority of users and does not buy them any additional security.
    11-18-09 07:56 AM
    In my case, Memory Cleaning is required by my IT Policy. I can't disable it, but I can run it every 30 minutes of idle time instead of every 5 minutes.
    I didnt know this.

11-18-09 08:05 AM
    Sometimes it can be a little tricky to determine the difference between phone lag & a physical trackball issue.

Either way i can't say i'm a fan of the track ball.

IMO between the physical "function" of the ball & the lag it's inherently inaccurate. I'd imagine playing a game based on (or using) the trackball would be laughable.

I've had occasional, brief ~10 second lock ups ever since upgrading to 4.7.1.57. It doesn't happen too often but it was most certainly not happening prior.
    11-18-09 11:40 AM
    What you are describing is the "normal" lag that I also experience. If you are using the Memory Cleaning security utility, you might try changing it from the default 5 minutes of idle time to 30 minutes of idle time before it runs. The cleaning process seems to take longer on the 9630 than it did on my 8830. Running it less often means it is less likely to be running when you try to use your device, eliminating that source of lag.

Pressing the button firmly is purely psychological, as is my furious clicking of the escape button. Taking out our frustration on the key doesn't really do anything.
    Cleaning how so? I do have a good amount of apps but it happened even before I downloaded them.. it just WON'T respond after clicking anything. And I don't understand why it's doing that???

I'm updating the software and all the apps, etc right now to see if that will help, as well as will download 5.0 afterwards.. hopefully one of these things will help me out, if not back to the sprint store it is but hopefully they can tell me whats wrong with it and try to fix it as opposed to trying to sell me the palm pre and getting rid of #6.

And for the record, all the past phones I've had were not due to user error, they were ALL hardware issues.
    11-18-09 11:52 AM
    Memory Cleaning is a security function that my IT policy requires. If you are not required to use it, you probably shouldn't. It just adds more overhead to your processor for no significant security benefit. It is not a memory management utility and doesn't give you more free memory.

The non-responsive trackball is what I am experiencing as well. The trackball feels like it is rolling normally, so I think it is just the OS and the processor are busy doing other tasks and aren't responding to the trackball. If that's the case, upgrading your apps isn't likely to help. The solution will require an OS fix. But RIM is so busy fielding new devices that they don't seem to put much priority on fixing the existing ones. If the new devices were trouble free, you could almost accept that. But the new devices in many cases have problems of their own.
    11-18-09 02:58 PM
    Blame OS 4.7.1. You can enable memory cleaning on OS5 and not have this issue.

OS 4.7.1 is slow in general...
    11-18-09 03:06 PM
    Blame OS 4.7.1. You can enable memory cleaning on OS5 and not have this issue...
    That's good to hear, since I can't disable it. I'm waiting for an official release from Verizon before I upgrade to 5.0. This is a work phone on BES. The IT guys are very tolerant of my experimenting, but installing a leaked OS wouldn't be good for me.
    11-18-09 03:11 PM
    That's good to hear, since I can't disable it. I'm waiting for an official release from Verizon before I upgrade to 5.0. This is a work phone on BES. The IT guys are very tolerant of my experimenting, but installing a leaked OS wouldn't be good for me.
    Yeah, even if you did disable it (i think it's disabled by default on non corp policy phones) OS 4.7.1 will hit the occasional chugs anyways.
    11-18-09 03:13 PM

And for the record, all the past phones I've had were not due to user error, they were ALL hardware issues.
    Six defective Tours, talk about bad luck. You have alot of patience, i would have quit on the Tour a long time ago. Hope you resolve your issue with this one.

11-19-09 03:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD