At the risk of being forcefully ejected from the crackberry nation, I am seriously considering not upgrading to the tour from my 8830 when it comes out. The only reason for this is the lack of wifi. I like everything else about the phone. I am on Sprint so I have some time to change my mind, but that is where I am right now.

Anyone else planning on holding out for a wifi enabled EVDO rev A qwerty BB? Maybe we will see a 9640 one day...
    06-04-09 03:26 PM
    At the risk of being forcefully ejected from the crackberry nation, I am seriously considering not upgrading to the tour from my 8830 when it comes out. The only reason for this is the lack of wifi. I like everything else about the phone. I am on Sprint so I have some time to change my mind, but that is where I am right now.

Anyone else planning on holding out for a wifi enabled EVDO rev A qwerty BB? Maybe we will see a 9640 one day...

thats all in your choice

I will say though. There hasn't been a wi-fi enabled BB confirmed completely yet for CDMA. So your wait may be a long one. The only hope was a article posted by BGR which stated that all blackberries after the tour will have wi-fi. However thats a pretty Bold statement to make considering that its really not set in stone..
    06-04-09 03:48 PM
    thats all in your choice

I will say though. There hasn't been a wi-fi enabled BB confirmed completely yet for CDMA. So your wait may be a long one. The only hope was a article posted by BGR which stated that all blackberries after the tour will have wi-fi. However thats a pretty Bold statement to make considering that its really not set in stone..
    Good point. If all hope is lost for a wifi cdma bb, then I will cave and get a tour. Not sure how to know when to give up hope though.
    06-04-09 04:07 PM
    No one is going to hold it against you if you decide not to get the Tour. It's all about what works best for YOU. If it's not the Tour, hang out a bit, and other devices will come along shortly afterwards. Whether or not those devices will have wi-fi remains to be seen - rumor has it they will, but rumor also has it that that might be at the expense of unlocked GPS. So again, it's all about what works best and makes sense for you.
    06-04-09 04:10 PM
    the storm 2 is supposed to have wifi and is supposed to be out later this year. i believe both will happen.
    06-04-09 04:17 PM
    anyone else tired of all the speculation? If you like a phone, buy it. Want wifi, buy a winmo device. cdma bb will get wifi when it get's it. in the mean time enjoy your 3g on the best 3g network available. geesh
    06-04-09 04:26 PM
    remember you could be stuck with edge!
    06-04-09 04:26 PM
    anyone else tired of all the speculation? If you like a phone, buy it. Want wifi, buy a winmo device. cdma bb will get wifi when it get's it. in the mean time enjoy your 3g on the best 3g network available. geesh

1. Somepeople hate windows mobile and thats not the answer to everything.

2. Hes on sprint so does the best 3g network comment still apply?

I completely see where the OP is coming from

he wants wi-fi heck a lot of us want it but getting a windows mobile phone is not the answer for the people who want a BB..
    06-04-09 04:39 PM
    1. Somepeople hate windows mobile and thats not the answer to everything.

2. Hes on sprint so does the best 3g network comment still apply?

I completely see where the OP is coming from

he wants wi-fi heck a lot of us want it but getting a windows mobile phone is not the answer for the people who want a BB..
    Exactly. No plans on leaving sprint either, prices is great, coverage and data speeds are adequate, customer service has been good thus far (just over a year in).
    06-04-09 04:45 PM
    Sprint doesn't even exsist to me, there horrable, even worse then AT&T. Only people who like sprint are people who had sprint from day one and not have tried other companys out to know what they are missing out on.
    The Tour will still be extreamly fast for not havign wifi, there is a guy on here already with the Tour who posted videos of the Browser in action and its FAST, the Tour will have the fastest browser out of ALL Blackberrys to date
    06-04-09 05:20 PM
    so stay with your curve that doesn't have wifi either...I never understood the big wifi issue
    06-04-09 05:20 PM
    I really dont understand this big deal people keep making about wi-fi. If you need the net that bad and fast get a laptop :-/ a phone is ultimately for calls & txtin :shrugs: but everything isnt for everybody
    06-04-09 06:48 PM
    I really dont understand this big deal people keep making about wi-fi. If you need the net that bad and fast get a laptop :-/ a phone is ultimately for calls & txtin :shrugs: but everything isnt for everybody

a lot of us replaced the use of our laptop to not have to carry it around as my cell go's everywhere with me a laptop you have to pack..

You may not understand it but I don't understand why GPS needs to be on a phone either because I never use it.
    06-04-09 06:55 PM
    a lot of us replaced the use of our laptop to not have to carry it around as my cell go's everywhere with me a laptop you have to pack..

You may not understand it but I don't understand why GPS needs to be on a phone either because I never use it.
    I understand GPS more than Wi-fi. I mean if u don't have a laptop then I understand the want for wi-fi but the VZW network isnt so bad that it's a killer for a phone imo. that $30 charge is a mess tho. I used it and it was pretty fast. But once again, if wi-fi is what u want, u should get what u want. But you are going to need to switch carrier bc we all know Verizon isnt having the "wi-fi" right now lol
    06-04-09 07:05 PM
    I understand GPS more than Wi-fi. I mean if u don't have a laptop then I understand the want for wi-fi but the VZW network isnt so bad that it's a killer for a phone imo. that $30 charge is a mess tho. I used it and it was pretty fast. But once again, if wi-fi is what u want, u should get what u want. But you are going to need to switch carrier bc we all know Verizon isnt having the "wi-fi" right now lol

I am going to list the reasons once again

I have a laptop so thats not the issue..

1. On a plane.
    2. When you travel.
    3. Remote controlling a server or telnetting from within a network requires you to connect via vpn or other secure method and is also extremely slow even over the fastest current 3g.
    4. Some applications require wi-fi for there media services..

I cant stand people who argue against wi-fi just because they don't see a reason for it..

if you don't use it fine no skin off my back but then if we argued against things that you use your going to argue back even if we don't use them

so thats my point.. why limit other people because you don't use it.

no harm intent in this post but I think its fair
    06-04-09 07:19 PM
    so thats why lol, i always wonder why people go nuts over no wifi, but now i get it

if the tour had wifi, would it be like window mobile phones were you have to turn off the phone connection and connect to wifi?
    06-04-09 09:18 PM
    I am going to list the reasons once again

I have a laptop so thats not the issue..

1. On a plane.
    2. When you travel.
    3. Remote controlling a server or telnetting from within a network requires you to connect via vpn or other secure method and is also extremely slow even over the fastest current 3g.
    4. Some applications require wi-fi for there media services..

I cant stand people who argue against wi-fi just because they don't see a reason for it..

if you don't use it fine no skin off my back but then if we argued against things that you use your going to argue back even if we don't use them

so thats my point.. why limit other people because you don't use it.

no harm intent in this post but I think its fair
    LOL!! You still need to point out the reasons for wifi?? They have been posted dozens of times on this site. Amazing.

Wifi and gps is becoming a smartphone standard. Virtually every smartphone coming out even cdma smartphones now have both. Why people still argue about why there should be wifi is beyond me. I dunno what rims problem is about getting wifi on a cdma blackberry but they need to wake up and realize they are being left in the dust on some features.
    06-04-09 09:42 PM
    wow!
    good points made and educated some who did not "get it"
    although it just gets discussed to death
    wifi no wifi that is
    I want the tour for the better browser, among other things, to help me with my sideline business

bottom line get what you will need and be happy, enjoy what it delivers, these phones are really good you really can't go wrong...
    06-04-09 09:45 PM
    To the OP, if you were on Verizon, I'd say get the Tour wifi or not. The reason? When LTE rolls out, the Tour will be obsolete anyway and Verizon will want you to upgrade to whatever LTE capable phones are out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 10:34 PM
    I apologize for discussing it again I was just trying to inform someone who didn't know

so thats why lol, i always wonder why people go nuts over no wifi, but now i get it

if the tour had wifi, would it be like window mobile phones were you have to turn off the phone connection and connect to wifi?
    as far as turning off the phone connection, no you do not have to turn anything off..

you can connect to wi-fi and talk on the phone at the same time
    06-05-09 04:22 AM
    I feel two things stand out

cdma is great for the carrier and very restrictive for the customer

Wifi ability will affect data plans for the carrier so on restrictive cdma's I see most couriers in no rush to give wifi

as to rims reluctance to apply wifi to thier already wifi capable phones??

Possibly they will apply wifi as good as they applied the storm to the market..god help them
    06-05-09 09:27 AM
    I feel two things stand out

cdma is great for the carrier and very restrictive for the customer

Wifi ability will affect data plans for the carrier so on restrictive cdma's I see most couriers in no rush to give wifi

as to rims reluctance to apply wifi to thier already wifi capable phones??

Possibly they will apply wifi as good as they applied the storm to the market..god help them
    Wifi does not effect data plans at all considering data plans are required, on Verizon at least.

If the BGR report is correct all BB's after the Tour will have Wifi on Verizon. So if that's the case perhaps the OP will just have to wait it out and get the next Verizon BB.
    06-05-09 09:37 AM
    I will be getting the Tour for sure wifi is a non issue for me. I dont need/want it but alot of people do and thats cool and yeah I heard the Storm 2 willbe wifi as well. It will be interesting to see if it actually does!!
    06-05-09 09:39 AM
    Sprint doesn't even exsist to me, there horrable, even worse then AT&T. Only people who like sprint are people who had sprint from day one and not have tried other companys out to know what they are missing out on.
    Not exactly. I came from At&t to sprint.

The Tour will still be extreamly fast for not havign wifi, there is a guy on here already with the Tour who posted videos of the Browser in action and its FAST, the Tour will have the fastest browser out of ALL Blackberrys to date
    Like I said in my OP, i think the tour is a great phone. Lack of wifi is my only problem with it. Like noaim mentioned, some apps require wifi to work properly, mainly I am interested in possibly downloading podcasts directly to my phone as I sleep via wifi.

Also I don't want to get stuck with a BB that does not work with some apps. I don't know what is coming down the pipe, but I imagine that some future apps that I may want, will require wifi.

P.S. I also use ssh from my BB
    06-05-09 10:10 AM
    To the OP, if you were on Verizon, I'd say get the Tour wifi or not. The reason? When LTE rolls out, the Tour will be obsolete anyway and Verizon will want you to upgrade to whatever LTE capable phones are out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    LTE really has nothing to do with wifi. Your comment does bear some relevance though, as I don't plan on getting a new phone after the tour/cdma wifi bb until RIM comes out with a wimax enabled blackberry (assuming sprint completes a nationwide wimax rollout).

Which brings me to another reason I want my next BB to have wifi: if the rumors are true that all future CDMA BBs will have wifi, then pretty much every single nextgen BB out will have wifi, except for the storm, tour, and 8230. The storm2, bold, onyx, 8900, and 8220 all have wifi. Pretty soon the non wifi blackberries will be in the minority. This means that developers will begin to target the wifi devices rather than the non wifi devices (as it stands today). This of course won't apply to all applications (really probably only a few), but why should I limit my options?
    06-05-09 10:22 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD