I installed 5.0 using Desktop Manager last night. It seemed to work just fine, took a little over an hour. I backed up my phone first, just in case.

When all was said and done, I had a few weird problems that I'm not seeing that anyone else had.

- All (or at least it looks like all) of my emails are still in the catch-all msg list. However, each individual email addr/folder had zero emails. I resent the service books, reconciled, nothing. There are a few verizon.net accts and a few gmails.

- None of my MMS messages were transferred. When I tried to restore them after the fact, it would run/freeze for hours. If I disconnected the phone, it froze and I had to do a battery pull. Even tho DM showed the progress bar all the way to the end, it never completed, so still no MMS's transferred.

- My SMS messages that did transfer (not all did) are funky. Maybe has something to do w/the MMS not working, dunno. If I open a conversation, it often has text in the reply box, looking like it's ready to be sent, when it's actually from an old text.

- This one is more a question, not sure if it's a problem....With threaded SMS, are you supposed to be able to delete a single message in a convo? Whenever I try, the entire conversation is deleted.

I'm liking so much about 5.0, but I had soooo many SMS and MMS messages that I needed to keep.
    Last edited by sandra_17; 03-31-10 at 10:32 PM.
    03-31-10 10:30 PM
    ...no one else...?
    04-01-10 09:24 AM
    1. Did you do a manual backup of your data before you updated the OS? (Note that this is ALWAYS recommended).

2. If you did, have you tried doing a RESTORE from this backup?

3. If you didn't, did you search for the LoaderBackup(Date).ipd file and do a restore from that backup?

Did you resend your Service Books after the upgrade?

And with threaded SMS, you need to scroll to the individual message within the "conversation" and then press delete.
    04-01-10 10:22 AM
    Thanks for replying, and yep, to all of the above.

I tried both my manual backup from about an hour before the upgrade, the one "it" created, and one I had from March 4.

Something else I saw after I posted this thread that was weird....I know that BBM msgs and the SMS messages were both showing in BBM, but the SMS ones that did transfer, merged together with the saved BBM chats.

Current ones showed separately in BBM, w/a phone symbol for a SMS text and a convo bubble (I think, if I remember correctly) for a BBM msg.

Since I couldn't resolve that, nor get my old MMS msgs, and didn't have access to my emails in the individual accts (folders), I gave up and put 4.7.1.61 back. I'm pi$$ed because I reeeeally liked 5.0.

If anyone else has any solutions, pleeease let me know, because I'd love to put 5.0 back.
    Last edited by sandra_17; 04-01-10 at 08:06 PM.
    04-01-10 08:03 PM
    In the backup/restore option, there should be an "advanced" option/button to select.
    There will be 2 windows. The one on the right is whats on the phone. On the left one, click file, open, and load your back up, in the left windo scroll to what you want, in your case sms and messages, highlight it, and hit the arrow pointing right thats in the middle of the 2 windows..It will overwrite the data on the phone..

If you restored these items before your email set it self up that could explain it

Just keep in mind anything u restore will overwrite whats on the phone so use your latest back up.

Oh 4.7 is back. is everything where it should be? I think when u restored your data, the email was not set so the data had no where to go.

As far as sms and bbm, u can change that too. There is a way to link non bbm contacts to bbm. Theres also a way to un do it..
    Last edited by dave3825us; 04-01-10 at 08:20 PM.
    04-01-10 08:18 PM
    In the backup/restore option, there should be an "advanced" option/button to select.
    There will be 2 windows.....It will overwrite the data on the phone...
    That is what I did. I did them together, then thought maybe because they both had hundreds of msgs it was too much all at once and did them separately. The best I could get was "some" SMS's, but never any MMS's. Plus the wierd problem of when opening a SMS convo, there being text in the reply box that is actually an old sent/rec'd msg.???

....If you restored these items before your email set it self up that could explain it..
    At this point, I honestly have no idea if it was before/after.

...Oh 4.7 is back. is everything where it should be? I think when u restored your data, the email was not set so the data had no where to go.

As far as sms and bbm, u can change that too. There is a way to link non bbm contacts to bbm. Theres also a way to un do it..
    Everything on 4.7 is fine. I'm thinking about backing up and trying again, since putting 4.7 back went smoothly.

But the SMS/BBM thing bugs me. Unchecking the "Show Chats..." removed the BBM msgs from the SMS list, however, "Remove BlackBerry Contact Link" did not remove the SMS msgs from BBM.
    Also, I chose the option to store BBM chat history on my memory card. With this link of SMS/BBM, when I went to view the BBM chat history w/any contact, ALL the 100's of SMS msgs were merged there as well. As I said above, I did "Remove BB Contact Link", but I really don't like doing that - I like having the contact linked to all the info in my BB contact list. 4.7 handled it as it should be, this is like a step backward, sideways or something that just doesn't make sense!!
    Last edited by sandra_17; 04-01-10 at 09:12 PM.
    04-01-10 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD