Just a quickie on this Friday night...

I've noticed that anytime I set my Tour camera settings to "Night" mode, any photo taken without the flash shows up pitch black. As if I took a photo of the night sky. I even went and took a photo of my very brightly lit iPad, and nothing showed up. You'd think that the "Night" setting would optimize the cam for dark areas...at night...lol. Any ideas? Is it really supposed to be like this?
    04-09-10 09:40 PM
    Just a quickie on this Friday night...

I've noticed that anytime I set my Tour camera settings to "Night" mode, any photo taken without the flash shows up pitch black. As if I took a photo of the night sky. I even went and took a photo of my very brightly lit iPad, and nothing showed up. You'd think that the "Night" setting would optimize the cam for dark areas...at night...lol. Any ideas? Is it really supposed to be like this?
    I'm thinking night mode setting means that everything is supposed to be black...like the night...lol. Sorry had to say it,, I've played around with some of the camera settings and mine didn't work any better. My thoughts are that since it is a white balance setting, it is adjusting the tone of the picture and not the camera funtion when it comes to dark light photography. Not sure what RIM intended with this setting, we will probably never know.................

Update: This is what the book says about the white balance settings... I had to look it up just because I was curious now...lol,,,,

• To improve the colors in pictures, in the White Balance field, click the current lighting condition.
    Last edited by olemil; 04-10-10 at 12:00 AM.
    04-09-10 11:48 PM
    Its still meant to be used with flash. These cameras have no change in ISO or even exposure times. The option for night in white balance is there to make the scene look more color correct as the eye would see it. The camera will get bright subjects with the use of flash at night, night-white balance helps tone the colors out so they aren't so reflective looking.
    04-10-10 01:21 AM
    I downloaded the full (pay) version of Night Camera from Dan Info Tech.

Earlier today, I left an email with some questions. I did not yet get a response.

I tried taking some pictures in low light levels with a 9900 phone. I did not see anything impressive yet. I have questions. To me it looks like this software can take an acceptable darkened picture as like using the Night Mode in the Scene setup for the camera. Then use the combination of the green and contrast sliders to get what looks like best or possibly improved results. I personally did not see anything impressive yet. As only an affect, it looks good to me.

To me, this software by no means makes the camera in to some sort of true night vision camera from my perception. This is something I would like to have confirmed.

What I am pleased about is so-far, I did not have any bugs or hangups with this program. My fear from some bad experience on a number of occasions was when installing programs some of them cause me problems to the point where I had to wipe the phone and re-install. This made me very reluctant to install extra programs in my phone.

If this software does not do what I expected, I will remove it. It was only $2, so its no big deal when comparing this to my total phone cost and billings.

If anyone can contribute to this discussion with their experience conserning this software I would be interested...

Jerry G.
    10-17-12 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD