In my area AT&T is not even an issue for most people....if you don't travel and don't have to have an iphone...verizon is the only way to go. AT&T's coverage is so bad here its not even funny. Verizons call coverage and internet speed is so fast here that wifi isn't even a problem as long as you don't travel that much. Besides...soon it won't matter when LTE arrives and providers can stop being so differnt fromy each other.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 05:00 PM
    In my area AT&T is not even an issue for most people....if you don't travel and don't have to have an iphone...verizon is the only way to go. AT&T's coverage is so bad here its not even funny. Verizons call coverage and internet speed is so fast here that wifi isn't even a problem as long as you don't travel that much. Besides...soon it won't matter when LTE arrives and providers can stop being so differnt fromy each other.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    oh stop it please....
    here we go with another VZW fanboy..(ok i kid)
    VZW or any mobile network is not faster than WiFi unless you figured out a way to connect a WiFi router to dialup
    my tethered Bold was clocked at 1.5Mbps still slower than the average WiFi hotspot
    i swear there must be some magic powder smeared on VZW phones to get people to come up with some of this stuff
    where do you live that ATT has no footprint so i can avoid that area
    04-17-09 05:50 PM
    hey, if there's no footprint in the competition in a certain area that only Verizon can reach, odds are, you won't want to go there anyway

Especially if the locals are coolaid worshipers
    04-17-09 07:20 PM
    oh stop it please....
    here we go with another VZW fanboy..(ok i kid)
    VZW or any mobile network is not faster than WiFi unless you figured out a way to connect a WiFi router to dialup
    my tethered Bold was clocked at 1.5Mbps still slower than the average WiFi hotspot
    i swear there must be some magic powder smeared on VZW phones to get people to come up with some of this stuff
    where do you live that ATT has no footprint so i can avoid that area
    and you talk about being a fanboy? I give up.
    04-17-09 07:56 PM
    and you talk about being a fanboy? I give up.
    best decision you made all day...i'm now a fanboy because a VZW user made another crazy claim? priceless!!!
    04-17-09 08:14 PM
    best decision you made all day...i'm now a fanboy because a VZW user made another crazy claim? priceless!!!
    Now Im a user, I thought I was a fanboy?
    Plus, I dont know what you're talking about man, Ive been telling you this whole time, ATT is elite, verizon is poopy.
    04-17-09 09:05 PM
    I have read all comments here and really it is nothing to do with devices and it has something to do with software that any wireless carriers works with ram and processors.

it is same with computer, vista usually does not do work very well with 1 GB ram and 250 GB hard drive but does have excellent with over 3 GB ram and 250 or more GB hard drive.

so it is same with wireless carriers, telus , bell and verizon have different OS version because of it
    04-17-09 10:08 PM
    What it boils down to is that the 9630 (arguably the 9030) is likely the CDMA version of the Bold with the Storm's internals and OS. The reason it uses the Storm's CPU rather than the "Meteor" Bold's 624MHz Marvell CPU is probably similar to the reason the 8330 got the slower Qualcomm CPU instead of the rest of the 83xx series' Intel XScale... not compatible with the radio hardware. Of course, the Storm's internals are the same reason this variation will be running 4.7 instead of 4.6. And the CDMA radio and integrated aGPS will be the reason this one won't have WiFi, just like the Curves.... the radio/gps combo takes up too much room to fit the WiFi module in there. As for the 8900 Curve, the 8930 is planned and will likely suffer from a slower CDMA compatible CPU as well and will definately lack WiFi. In fact, until the CDMA devices start being offered in a larger housing than their GSM counterparts (like the 8350i for instance) I wouldn't expect to see WiFi in ANY CDMA berry, unless it's a CDMA or WorldEdition phone designed with WiFi in mind.
    Last edited by paultyler_82; 04-18-09 at 04:06 AM.
    04-17-09 11:18 PM
    Faster processor, tri-band HSPA, Wifi, bigger screen. but the 9630 is a good device. It's just hard to say it's better than the Bold.
    Ok, yeah, he mentioned the processor and wifi, I just thought by also adding "better hardware", that he was talking about an additional point. The screen is not that much larger to matter, at least to me, and tri-band HSPA is more so carrier specific, and not sure if it means something to everyone. The Niagara gets 3G everywhere as well, just in the US, it's EVDO Rev A, which is more than adequate for me. The main factors are the faster processor and the wifi. From using the Curve 2, the faster processor of the Bold, doesn't make it much better experience in my opinion. Both phones move quickly. So for me, the main differences would be that the Niagara has a better camera, and better size phone, whereas the Bold has wifi, and ability to surf the web and talk/text(but this is actually CDMA vs. HSDPA technology dependent), rather than just the Bold vs. Niagara. The bold is the best phone period....on the market at this time. The Niagara has the potential to be one of the best, in some ways better then the Bold.
    04-18-09 08:07 AM
    My friend has been looking at the Storm. He has Sprint til the end of the month, then plans to switch to Verizon. After everything I've read, including what Verizon charges for the Blackberry plan, I told him he should read here, and go with AT&T and get the Bold. $49.00 BB plan at Verizon, $30.00 BB plan at AT&T. Plus, the Bold is a better phone!
    Your friend got incorrect information about the plan for Verizon. The BIS plan for both Verizon and ATT are $30/month, and the BES plus BIS plan for both carries is roughly $45/month. The main difference is that with ATT, you have the option of not subscribing to a data plan at all, and using the data pay per use feature.
    04-18-09 08:13 AM
    Now Im a user, I thought I was a fanboy?
    Plus, I dont know what you're talking about man, Ive been telling you this whole time, ATT is elite, verizon is poopy.
    i wasnt talking about you...
    did you claim that VZW was faster than WiFI?
    never said ATT was better or worse than VZW..all i'm saying is people need to stop pulling stuff outa their collective bleeps when discussing cell phone providers..
    04-18-09 08:24 AM
    VZW for some odd reason has the most religious of followers!

I don't know how ANY customer can have this much loyalty to any one carrier, even if your an employee of the company!

Objective about politics = Prob difficult
    Objective about religion = Prob difficult
    Object about Mobile Carrier =
    04-18-09 08:56 AM
    VZW for some odd reason has the most religious of followers!

I don't know how ANY customer can have this much loyalty to any one carrier, even if your an employee of the company!

Objective about politics = Prob difficult
    Objective about religion = Prob difficult
    Object about Mobile Carrier =
    must be those commercials
    04-18-09 09:43 AM
    personally, I liked James Earl Jones over the geeky "can you hear me now" guy
    04-18-09 09:51 AM
    personally, I liked James Earl Jones over the geeky "can you hear me now" guy
    Hey! What do you have against the "can you hear me now" guy?! huh?! lol

Good!

04-18-09 10:29 AM
    Hey! What do you have against the "can you hear me now" guy?! huh?! lol

Good!

he looks like this dude I picked on in middle school
    04-18-09 12:49 PM
    Ok, yeah, he mentioned the processor and wifi, I just thought by also adding "better hardware", that he was talking about an additional point. The screen is not that much larger to matter, at least to me, and tri-band HSPA is more so carrier specific, and not sure if it means something to everyone. The Niagara gets 3G everywhere as well, just in the US, it's EVDO Rev A, which is more than adequate for me. The main factors are the faster processor and the wifi. From using the Curve 2, the faster processor of the Bold, doesn't make it much better experience in my opinion. Both phones move quickly. So for me, the main differences would be that the Niagara has a better camera, and better size phone, whereas the Bold has wifi, and ability to surf the web and talk/text(but this is actually CDMA vs. HSDPA technology dependent), rather than just the Bold vs. Niagara. The bold is the best phone period....on the market at this time. The Niagara has the potential to be one of the best, in some ways better then the Bold.
    Agreed 110%.
    04-18-09 04:27 PM
    They are both great devices. The Bold is just an all in one device, Wi-Fi, 3G, GPS. The 9630 is a good phone also (if you get the right build). Hopefully I'll be playing with one soon. Maybe a week or so.
    04-18-09 04:56 PM
    I used to have verizon, and now I have AT&T. I'm not an employee at Verizon, and I also own a Bold.

AT&T is just terrible. I've never had any dropped calls from Verizon, and if I did it was because the person on the other line was using AT&T. What pisses me off most is the, "network with the fewest dropped calls" slogans, along with the "more bars in more places" BS, it's just ridiculous.

If anyone is ever considering switching I make sure I talk them out of it. I can't wait until Verizon releases the Niagra because I will be switching back promptly. I'll gladly pay an ETF if it mean's I'll get service, and every other phone call won't get dropped.

I live in San Diego if anyone is wondering.
    04-19-09 05:07 AM
    I have a craptastic env2 that I can't wait to get rid of. It is on Verizon and I get dropped calls and text that I never get or never make it to the people I send them to. No network is perfect.
    04-19-09 05:49 AM
    They are both awesome devices in their own ways. It's kind of like comparing Godzilla to King Kong.
    04-19-09 01:17 PM
    It's gonna be like this, two great devices for two different carriers. GSM will have the Bold and CDMA will have the 9630.
    04-19-09 01:21 PM
    the main, and i think most important difference right now is that one is out and the other isnt
    04-19-09 01:29 PM
    I used to have verizon, and now I have AT&T. I'm not an employee at Verizon, and I also own a Bold.

AT&T is just terrible. I've never had any dropped calls from Verizon, and if I did it was because the person on the other line was using AT&T. What pisses me off most is the, "network with the fewest dropped calls" slogans, along with the "more bars in more places" BS, it's just ridiculous.

If anyone is ever considering switching I make sure I talk them out of it. I can't wait until Verizon releases the Niagra because I will be switching back promptly. I'll gladly pay an ETF if it mean's I'll get service, and every other phone call won't get dropped.

I live in San Diego if anyone is wondering.
    yea yea yea...lemme guess you're on 4.6.0.167?
    i'm willing to bet good money that you're on a prehistoric OS whining and complaining about ATT being at fault when its the OS that is substandard
    04-19-09 04:11 PM
    i doubt it, ,in some places AT&T is just bad...one of my friends switched from Verizon to AT&T to get the Bold and they regret it because the service is terrible
    04-19-09 04:25 PM
318 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD