I have a Bold and love it, I will buy the Niagara when it comes out. The reason that I will get the Niagara even though i have a Bold is Vz has better reception in my area. You can't go wrong with either phone both are great, just go for the best reception.imho
    04-17-09 11:28 AM
    the 9630 will not be better than the Bold based on a few (IMHO) facts
    the Bold has better hardware
    OS 5.0 will be on both devices by the time the 9630 is launched with the same updated browser and core OS
    Bold has WiFI, simultaneous data and voice and a faster processor
    9630 has more memory and a better camera
    that makes the 9630 potentially a better device how?
    i'm not interested in the "its cute" debate or the "you have girly hands so a smaller device is better" debate
    bottom line is the Bold just does more than the 9630 and no matter how much RIM or VZW hype the device its the same old same old QWERTY keyboard with a twist and LCD with a few more pixels that nobody with the naked eye can even notice
    hardware wise i'd go with the bold too, but att's 3g is pretty bad around me (east side of manhattan)
    04-17-09 11:29 AM
    Oilersboy, if CX says that the Bold has a faster processor than the Storm, take his word for it. He is the Zen of BB IMHO.
    04-17-09 11:32 AM
    the 9630 will not be better than the Bold based on a few (IMHO) facts
    the Bold has better hardware
    OS 5.0 will be on both devices by the time the 9630 is launched with the same updated browser and core OS
    Bold has WiFI, simultaneous data and voice and a faster processor
    9630 has more memory and a better camera
    that makes the 9630 potentially a better device how?
    i'm not interested in the "its cute" debate or the "you have girly hands so a smaller device is better" debate
    bottom line is the Bold just does more than the 9630 and no matter how much RIM or VZW hype the device its the same old same old QWERTY keyboard with a twist and LCD with a few more pixels that nobody with the naked eye can even notice
    The Niagara also has a slightly better screen resolution, but tell me, what about the Bold's physical hardware is better than the Niagara's? Do you mean it's better because it's more 1980's-brick like? Or are you talking about the faster processor, or something else?
    04-17-09 11:33 AM
    The Niagara also has a slightly better screen resolution, but tell me, what about the Bold's physical hardware is better than the Niagara's? Do you mean it's better because it's more 1980's-brick like? Or are you talking about the faster processor, or something else?
    Faster processor, tri-band HSPA, Wifi, bigger screen. but the 9630 is a good device. It's just hard to say it's better than the Bold.
    04-17-09 11:38 AM
    Considering the 9630 won't have 3G GSM Hardware, shouldn't the decision simply be made based upon what carrier you are using?

V962
    04-17-09 11:50 AM
    I think better is relative to what you want/desire.The bold is a power house, no question. But at&t just doesn't have the network to let it shine.

The niagra sounds like a great device, it may not have the fastest processor, but that doesn't mean its not a contender.

CX himself feels its a solid device. That's somthing I can trust.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 11:54 AM
    Considering the 9630 won't have 3G GSM Hardware, shouldn't the decision simply be made based upon what carrier you are using?

V962
    Not if you can move from one carrier to the other freely as some people can.
    04-17-09 12:10 PM
    I think better is relative to what you want/desire.The bold is a power house, no question. But at&t just doesn't have the network to let it shine.

The niagra sounds like a great device, it may not have the fastest processor, but that doesn't mean its not a contender.

CX himself feels its a solid device. That's somthing I can trust.

aagh this just infuriates me ....
    can we stop with this nonsense please?
    so i sit at home ...work.....at play..wherever i roam i have 3G and if i dont have 3G i have EDGE...i have never not had service anywhere i have roamed in the US and believe me i have been to some backwater towns
    how exactly is the ATT network not allowing the bold to shine?
    i would like your opinion as to how ATT makes the Bold a lesser device
    Last edited by giantfan30; 04-17-09 at 01:39 PM.
    04-17-09 01:35 PM
    My friend has been looking at the Storm. He has Sprint til the end of the month, then plans to switch to Verizon. After everything I've read, including what Verizon charges for the Blackberry plan, I told him he should read here, and go with AT&T and get the Bold. $49.00 BB plan at Verizon, $30.00 BB plan at AT&T. Plus, the Bold is a better phone!
    04-17-09 02:12 PM
    so i sit at home ...work.....at play..wherever i roam i have 3G and if i dont have 3G i have EDGE...i have never not had service anywhere i have roamed in the US and believe me i have been to some backwater towns
    It all depends where you live. I have had ATT be a no go back in New Jersey. Yes you can have the bold and its a nice phone. BUT its as good as a paperweight if it doesn't get service. Service changes in certain areas. ATT works for you, ok good, for some it doesn't.
    04-17-09 02:19 PM
    It all depends where you live. I have had ATT be a no go back in New Jersey. Yes you can have the bold and its a nice phone. BUT its as good as a paperweight if it doesn't get service. Service changes in certain areas. ATT works for you, ok good, for some it doesn't.
    you obviously missed my point.....
    i dont care about coverage maps and what service you think is best or not
    ALL service providers have areas that they have less than desireable coverage

what annoys me about the post i responded to was the farce that ATT somehow makes the bold a lesser phone because its on ATT
    try reading what i wrote before you go into VZW fanboy mode ..the last 2 lines....
    Last edited by giantfan30; 04-17-09 at 02:36 PM.
    04-17-09 02:31 PM
    Faster processor, tri-band HSPA, Wifi, bigger screen. but the 9630 is a good device. It's just hard to say it's better than the Bold.
    Crucial you just stated some things that are better about bold then niagra and you stated WIFI so you pretty much confirmed Niagara will not have wifi no dancing around it anymore

04-17-09 02:41 PM
    you obviously missed my point.....
    i dont care about coverage maps and what service you think is best or not
    ALL service providers have areas that they have less than desireable coverage

what annoys me about the post i responded to was the farce that ATT somehow makes the bold a lesser phone because its on ATT
    try reading what i wrote before you go into VZW fanboy mode ..the last 2 lines....
    Ok, maybe YOU don't read. If ATT service in your area sucks, and you have the Bold, it becomes a paperweight (lesser of a phone). I don't see how I can make that any simpler.

And no fanboyism here, I ordered a Bold yesterday, if it doesnt get good service in my home or work its going back.

Oh and you did talk about service:

Last edited by azboricua; 04-17-09 at 02:53 PM.
    04-17-09 02:49 PM
    Crucial you just stated some things that are better about bold then niagra and you stated WIFI so you pretty much confirmed Niagara will not have wifi no dancing around it anymore

thats been common knowledge for a while. i wouldn't be so quick to pull a 'gotcha' on CX cuz he'll come back and OOOWWWWWWNNNNNN you.
    04-17-09 02:54 PM
    Ok, maybe YOU don't read. If ATT service in your area sucks, and you have the Bold, it becomes a paperweight (lesser of a phone). I don't see how I can make that any simpler.

And no fanboyism here, I ordered a Bold yesterday, if it doesnt get good service in my home or work its going back.

Oh and you did talk about service:

i stand by what i said ...end of story
    nobody has told me yet how ATT makes the Bold a lesser device... opposed to what? being on VZW with no simultaneous data and voice and a relentless advertising machine trying to convince the gullible that you are doomed if you dont have the network???
    there about 195+ million people in the US who dont believe that VZW is the end all be all of cell phone useage and go about their cellular lives without the network just fine
    04-17-09 03:09 PM
    thats been common knowledge for a while. i wouldn't be so quick to pull a 'gotcha' on CX cuz he'll come back and OOOWWWWWWNNNNNN you.
    I hope he does correct me because I want niagra to have wifi but he just confirmed it doesn't by stating what's better about bold then niagra and saying wifi

04-17-09 03:13 PM
    LOL....I think the coolaid crowd ends up creating this group! Don't fault them az. I'm with Verizon and sometimes I get anti-coolaid too. I just try to keep my sense together and LISTEN before I rant on

Giantfan = I feel ur frustration but az wasn't knockin AT&T! Hes generally saying that a phone is only as good as your network. Even though Verizon gets the thumbs up nation wide, its not the best in any one given area. But if it just so happens that AT&T sucks in yours, then you might as well place your bold on a mantle like a figurine and admire it from a distance LOL
    04-17-09 04:21 PM
    Honestly I have no idea why the Niagara even exists. It fills practically the exact same market niche the 9000 does for At&t, so why did they bother creating a whole new device when they could have just re-engineered the Bold for Verizon?
    04-17-09 04:31 PM
    Honestly I have no idea why the Niagara even exists. It fills practically the exact same market niche the 9000 does for At&t, so why did they bother creating a whole new device when they could have just re-engineered the Bold for Verizon?
    don't forget that they had to eliminate wifi and block GPS

Lots of changes for just porting a device for a different carrier
    04-17-09 04:38 PM
    att might have worked out an exclusive deal for the bold. carriers love exclusivity, its really a marketing point.
    04-17-09 04:40 PM
    First I'd like to say everyone needs to keep it clean and not insult others and please be respectful.

To the latest discussion topic, I would also like to know how AT&T holds back the 9000?? I use a Bold on both Rogers and AT&T, and the service is great on both. AT&T service is great in my usual areas, and usually pretty good when I'm traveling, which is quite a bit. I will agree that AT&T doesn't have as big a footprint as Verizon when it comes to 3G technology, but some of you act as though AT&T is horrible. That's simply not the case. More so than not, both VZW and AT&T's footprints are about the same in major US cities. Where VZW has an edge is in rural areas.
    AT&T has switched over to the better stronger 850MHz signal in most areas and is about to up it's HSPA speeds to 7.2Mbps. Fastest in the US.

I'm not saying that AT&T's coverage is the best. And I'm not saying it's better than Verizon's. I will also not say that Verizon's is better than AT&T. But the carrier war stuff is old. Coverage depends on area. But let's not make blanket statements about any carrier because coverage isn't ideal in your specific area.
    04-17-09 04:44 PM
    AT&T doesn't have as big a footprint as Verizon when it comes to 3G technology [...] AT&T is horrible [...] VZW has an edge [...] Fastest in the US.

I'm [...] saying that AT&T's coverage is [...] not [...] better than Verizon's. AT&T [...] coverage isn't ideal in your [...] area.
    well i guess CX pretty much summed it up...
    04-17-09 04:49 PM
    well i guess CX pretty much summed it up...
    If that makes you feel better.....
    04-17-09 04:52 PM
    They did neuter the ability to manually select cellular network on the At&t Bold, to the annoyance of many, but that's all I'm aware of.

I've found At&t's coverage to be fine in metro areas, although it's pretty common knowledge in my area that VZW is tops for signal strength and reliability.
    04-17-09 04:53 PM
318 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD