I saw that someone posted it earlier in this thread. If that's the case, i'm pissed because i wanted to get this new Blackberry the date it's released!
    05-21-09 04:03 PM
    I saw that someone posted it earlier in this thread. If that's the case, i'm pissed because i wanted to get this new Blackberry the date it's released!
    That is almost definitely not true. Verizon is going to sell it to anyone who wants one...as long as you're on one of their plans.
    05-21-09 04:07 PM
    Wait, you can't get the new Blackberry Tour 9630 the day it's released for retail if you don't have an upgrade?

People said the same thing about the storm and people purchased the storm. Verizon is not aloud to do that. They can't not allow you to upgrade your device with your money. If they did that there would be a riot..

If I walked into verizon and they had Tours there and they refused to sell me one because I don't have a upgrade. I would tell them to cancel my account right there and then no questions asked and pay the etf right there.

Your contract doesn't read that your forced to use the phone that they subsidized its bad enough that cdma carriers don't get all of the best devices out there but even worse if they didn't allow you to purchase any phone you wanted if it was in stock at any time.
    05-21-09 04:07 PM
    Those are great points, makes sense. Thanks guys (Stang68 & noaim)
    05-21-09 04:10 PM
    I guess my battery is somehow different than Crucial's cause it lasts 3 days. Yeah, I've heard all that WiFi stuff a million times. I think the truth is that the engineers can't figure it out yet. They'd like to have it and so would their customers
    No, it's common knowledge that CDMA devices are tougher(less battery life) on the battery than their GSM counterparts. Add Wifi into the mix, the mix being dual CDMA bands, quadband GSM, and one HSPA band, that's a lot of strain on a battery that already gets less SB/TT than it's GSM counterpart.
    It has nothing to do with the engineers, as wifi is allowable with the Qualcomm chipset. The problem is that battery evolution really hasn't evolved over the last 10 years.
    05-21-09 04:14 PM
    No, it's common knowledge that CDMA devices are tougher(less battery life) on the battery than their GSM counterparts. Add Wifi into the mix, the mix being dual CDMA bands, quadband GSM, and one HSPA band, that's a lot of strain on a battery that already gets less SB/TT than it's GSM counterpart.
    It has nothing to do with the engineers, as wifi is allowable with the Qualcomm chipset. The problem is that battery evolution really hasn't evolved over the last 10 years.

I agree completely with the fact that a battery has really went nowhere thus why there having so much trouble with battery powered cars...

but whether on gsm or cdma having wi-fi and using it does use more battery then not using wi-fi at all and turning it off...

my question to you is kind of a well assumption..

if you take two handsets that run about the same 1 from cdma 1 from gsm
    turned off all radios on both devices accept for wi-fi they should get about the same amount of battery yes?
    05-21-09 04:19 PM
    That's what I'm interested in.(Why no WiFi?) So it's your opinion that it's easy to do technically with a BB and Verizon's network but because CDMA/quadband is so tough on batteries if you add WiFi people would hate the battery more than they would love the WiFi download speeds when they used it? That makes perfect sense to me. Battery life is important to every cellphone user (check the G1 threads) My thought is that WiFi is becoming available more places all the time (I was at a golf resort in Tubac, AZ over the weekend, so-so Tmob signal but WiFi/UMA in every cottage on the property). I see it as something that smartphone users will look for in new phones and leaving it out will hurt business. I guess that's Vzn may have it in the Storm2.
    05-21-09 04:32 PM
    That's what I'm interested in.(Why no WiFi?) So it's your opinion that it's easy to do technically with a BB and Verizon's network but because CDMA/quadband is so tough on batteries if you add WiFi people would hate the battery more than they would love the WiFi download speeds when they used it? That makes perfect sense to me. Battery life is important to every cellphone user (check the G1 threads) My thought is that WiFi is becoming available more places all the time (I was at a golf resort in Tubac, AZ over the weekend, so-so Tmob signal but WiFi/UMA in every cottage on the property). I see it as something that smartphone users will look for in new phones and leaving it out will hurt business. I guess that's Vzn may have it in the Storm2.
    Technically, it's no problem really. The quadband GSM and HSPA bands don't have much to do with the root of the problem, however, they add to it. When you add Wifi to a CDMA device, you give up battery life. Now much Dev has taken place to get this turned around a bit. But those of us who work in the industry know CDMA devices have worse battery life than GSM. I agree though, Wifi should be an option. Customers are all about options.
    05-21-09 04:42 PM
    Technically, it's no problem really. The quadband GSM and HSPA bands don't have much to do with the root of the problem, however, they add to it. When you add Wifi to a CDMA device, you give up battery life. Now much Dev has taken place to get this turned around a bit. But those of us who work in the industry know CDMA devices have worse battery life than GSM. I agree though, Wifi should be an option. Customers are all about options.

if battery life really is the issue then it makes it more clear to me. I have heard people say many times that they would rather have a edge device because the benefits of 3g vs the battery life are not worth it for them...

so if its worse battery then what already is a issue with battery's then I can see the problem.

I would just simply like the ability to have wi-fi if I needed it. Afterall I can turn it off right.
    05-21-09 04:55 PM
    ummm having wi-fi on in any situation uses more battery power then having it turned off. I cant believe you even considered posting that honestly...

in every device that wi-fi has ever been in it works that way. Its a extra radio of course it uses more battery

thus why even on a laptop turning off wi-fi saves battery power..

you need some technology lessons. Someone else mentioned your signature and I think with quite a bit of things that you say you definitely need to follow your own signature if your going to create one like that then you should follow it yourself as well. You don't listen to anyone or anything. I can't say all your points are incorrect but you often argue things that noone even mentioned and in this case argued something that a 5 year old kid already knows.
    you seriously need to just not respond to what i post
    no isht WiFi uses battery power
    WiFi doesnt KILL your battery is the point i made
    learn how to read and comprehend before you act like you are in a position to lecture me
    with or without my WiFi on i get a full days usage from my Bold's battery
    keep right on heading towards my ignore list
    Last edited by giantfan30; 05-21-09 at 06:53 PM.
    05-21-09 06:43 PM
    Let's not beat the Wifi/battery thing to death again. It's not an issue for me on Tmob/8900 at all. Battery lasts the same with/without it which makes perfect sense to me. It's different from a laptop because I'm connecting either by EDGE or WiFi, not both, and a laptop just has WiFi. When I'm on Wifi the EDGE is off, and vice versa. But I have GSM and Verizon is CDMA and it might affect that more than mine if WiFi were there. That's about as close to a reason as I've seen in a bunch of posts in a bunch of threads about Wifi/Vzn.
    05-21-09 06:56 PM
    Let's not beat the Wifi/battery thing to death again. It's not an issue for me on Tmob/8900 at all. Battery lasts the same with/without it which makes perfect sense to me. It's different from a laptop because I'm connecting either by EDGE or WiFi, not both, and a laptop just has WiFi. When I'm on Wifi the EDGE is off, and vice versa. But I have GSM and Verizon is CDMA and it might affect that more than mine if WiFi were there. That's about as close to a reason as I've seen in a bunch of posts in a bunch of threads about Wifi/Vzn.
    lol.....
    kill your battery= drain power at a much higher than usual rate
    WiFi= negligible battery usage
    05-21-09 07:04 PM
    you seriously need to just not respond to what i post
    no isht WiFi uses battery power
    WiFi doesnt KILL your battery is the point i made
    learn how to read and comprehend before you act like you are in a position to lecture me
    with or without my WiFi on i get a full days usage from my Bold's battery
    keep right on heading towards my ignore list

I want you to ignore me I honestly do you say I act like im important... I bet there is a bunch of people here who wish they were on your ignore list as a matter of fact that being said you are now on my ignore list..

on a side note where you mis inter prate things when people say KILL there battery they arent talking about it being done and not able to be used.....

there talking about the energy being drained from it....
    05-21-09 07:15 PM
    now i suppose you will argue with me about what i meant..actually no you will not
    "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is" seems so familiar right now
    but i digress.....
    Last edited by giantfan30; 05-21-09 at 07:36 PM.
    05-21-09 07:32 PM
    When I had my Motorola V730 (I think that was the #), there was a class action lawsuit b/c VZW "mis-communicated" the bluetooth capabilities of the device and led consumers to believe that all of the bluetooth profiles would be enabled (or at least the file transfer).

I received a statement allowing me to either return my v730 for a full refund, purchase 1 free bluetooth accessory, or terminate my contract early (if I recall correctly).

Maybe something similar will happen with the Storm owners and we will be able to cancel our contracts or upgrade early in order to get the new model at a discounted price.

Skimming through my documentation I do, unfortunately, see a clause that states new contracts (and thus new phone pricing) only apply to customers who haven't had a previous contract with VZW within 90 days, which would render my previous thought useless (unless the lawyers are Storm owners and know what we're talking about!).

Fingers crossed!
    05-21-09 08:04 PM
    When I had my Motorola V730 (I think that was the #), there was a class action lawsuit b/c VZW "mis-communicated" the bluetooth capabilities of the device and led consumers to believe that all of the bluetooth profiles would be enabled (or at least the file transfer).

I received a statement allowing me to either return my v730 for a full refund, purchase 1 free bluetooth accessory, or terminate my contract early (if I recall correctly).

Maybe something similar will happen with the Storm owners and we will be able to cancel our contracts or upgrade early in order to get the new model at a discounted price.

Skimming through my documentation I do, unfortunately, see a clause that states new contracts (and thus new phone pricing) only apply to customers who haven't had a previous contract with VZW within 90 days, which would render my previous thought useless (unless the lawyers are Storm owners and know what we're talking about!).

Fingers crossed!

I think the main issue would be if Verizon didn't let you purchase the phone at all..

like if you weren't able to purchase a new phone at full retail because they wanted to keep them for NEW CUSTOMERS only.

That would be a huge slap in the face for current customers and I truly believe that would be one of the things that would make me instantly walk away from verizon. I don't care what other network I was on just because I am a current customer doesn't mean I should be treated any less then a new customer...

Do I feel I deserve a upgrade at the discount price NO i signed a contract for this phone that I have now at a discounted price they gave me a good price on it.

But not being able to get a new device simply because I am in a contract would be ridiculous in my book. That day I would own a brand new shiny bold and probably for a cheaper price including ETF so with that being said I find it hard to believe that they would turn a current customer away that wants to purchase it at full retail
    05-21-09 08:32 PM
    between the Bold and the Tour - which phone/network would work best in Japan? Just weighing my options to see if I need to switch providers..
    06-17-09 05:15 PM
    between the Bold and the Tour - which phone/network would work best in Japan? Just weighing my options to see if I need to switch providers..
    It's really up to your preference, in Japan, the only networks are PDS, PDC, CDMA 1X WIN, FOMA, and UMTS2100.
    There are NO 2G GSM providers in Japan at all

You probably wouldn't be able to get the Tour activated on au KDDI's CDMA network for the same reason Sprint and Verizon don't generally activate outside network phones... however the Tour supports UMTS2100 through the use of a SIM card (has to be unlocked first of course).

Since both the Tour and Bold support UMTS2100, you can sign up with any of the UMTS(W-CDMA) providers in Japan, or you can sign up with NTT docomo as FOMA is interoperable with UMTS2100. I will warn you that US versions of both the Tour and Bold may not give you perfect coverage as some UMTS providers in Japan use the 800MHz band for parts of their UMTS network and while the Japanese Bold supports UMTS800, the tri-band UMTS radio in the Bold is set up for the similar but incompatible 850MHz bands in use in the US for 3G, while the Tour is only single band and will only support 2100MHz bands for UMTS coverage.
    06-18-09 02:23 AM
318 ... 111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD