I've seen this discussed briefly but I was looking for clarification. Other than WiFi, is there any reason I would'nt pick the Niagra over the Bold? Will the Bold still
    be faster than the Niagra because of it's processor speed?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 05:11 AM
    The main differences between Bold and Niagara:

Bold has a faster processor.
    Niagara will have more internal memory.
    Bold has a 480x320 screen. Niagara's is 480x360.
    Bold has a 2MP Camera. Niagara's camera is 3.2MP.
    Bold is GSM only (3G).
    Niagara is 3G CDMA (EV-DO rev.A) with GSM (EDGE). It may have 3G GSM outside North America.
    Bold is slightly larger than the Niagara.
    Bold has WiFi.

I think those are the main differences between the two. The Niagara is pretty much a Storm with a keyboard.
    03-31-09 08:15 AM
    Bold has a faster processor.
    The bold has a faster processor? I thought the Storm (which the Niagara has the same "guts" as) was the fastest?

Not accusing you of being wrong, just want to confirm in my own confused blackberry n00b brain.

-Cow
    03-31-09 11:29 AM
    The bold has a faster processor? I thought the Storm (which the Niagara has the same "guts" as) was the fastest?

Not accusing you of being wrong, just want to confirm in my own confused blackberry n00b brain.

-Cow
    The Bold has the fastest processor of any BlackBerry to date.
    03-31-09 11:32 AM
    yes, Storm processor is 400mhz. Bold is 624mhz
    03-31-09 02:45 PM
    yes, Storm processor is 400mhz. Bold is 624mhz
    The Storm processor is actually 528 mhz, just letting the OP know.
    03-31-09 02:58 PM
    Hey CX,

When you say the Bold has the fastest processor, besides the clock speed, are you talking about performance as well? Will the Niagra never be as fast as the Bold?

03-31-09 04:13 PM
    don't count the niagra out just yet ...we need to wait to the official one is released ...
    and knowing vzw about 2 os upgrades lollol you never know
    03-31-09 10:12 PM
    If only the 8900 came out on CDMA.. I'd have orgasm on announcment.

03-31-09 11:32 PM
    Just imagine an 8900 CDMA blackberry with wifi, Rev A, and dual mode GPS.... WHOAAA!!!

With a nice processor and lots of mem like the 8900, I'd taken back everything I ever said about verizon and marry em for 2 more years, maybe even 4! lol

well, now that I'm throwin in nearly the kitchen sink, might as well add a hybrid touch/click screen to the wish list
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 04-01-09 at 07:08 AM.
    04-01-09 07:00 AM
    Just imagine an 8900 CDMA blackberry with wifi, Rev A, and dual mode GPS.... WHOAAA!!!

With a nice processor and lots of mem like the 8900, I'd taken back everything I ever said about verizon and marry em for 2 more years, maybe even 4! lol

well, now that I'm throwin in nearly the kitchen sink, might as well add a hybrid touch/click screen to the wish list
    My SPECULATION -- The Niagara will be better than the Bold OR 8900.

Here's why:

Clock speed isn't everything. I own both phones and the 8900 runs WAY better (performance wise) than the Bold.

I have almost all of the apps I have on my Bold on the 8900 and it STILL runs better and has about 100MB if free space. I'm running an up to date OS on the Bold and the original launch OS on the 8900.

The keyboard on the 8900 is way small and hard to type on compared to the Bold. Niagara will have the same keyboard only slightly smaller, and yes the screen is smaller than the Bold but I don't really notice it.

As long as they load it with the super fast 8900 browser not the clunky slow Bold one I will be thrilled!
    04-02-09 12:06 AM
    The Bold has a faster processor, but the Niagara has more RAM. Since RAM can be a bottle neck, will the Niagara be faster because it has more RAM?
    04-02-09 06:56 AM
    The Bold has a faster processor, but the Niagara has more RAM. Since RAM can be a bottle neck, will the Niagara be faster because it has more RAM?
    sheesh since when is RAM a bottleneck for the Bold?
    having more application memory does not a faster device make.....of course you will hear a different tune from 8900 and 9630 users..call it an inferiority complex
    04-02-09 11:17 AM
    My SPECULATION -- The Niagara will be better than the Bold OR 8900.

Here's why:

Clock speed isn't everything. I own both phones and the 8900 runs WAY better (performance wise) than the Bold.

I have almost all of the apps I have on my Bold on the 8900 and it STILL runs better and has about 100MB if free space. I'm running an up to date OS on the Bold and the original launch OS on the 8900.

The keyboard on the 8900 is way small and hard to type on compared to the Bold. Niagara will have the same keyboard only slightly smaller, and yes the screen is smaller than the Bold but I don't really notice it.

As long as they load it with the super fast 8900 browser not the clunky slow Bold one I will be thrilled!
    in your opinion the 8900 runs better than the Bold...everybody has an opinion
    truth be told the 8900 is slower and does nothing better than the Bold...oh it takes better pictures....
    its like you trying to convince me that a Toyota is better than a Ferrari because it has a bigger gas tank
    the Bold is the flagship RIM device for a reason
    then here comes the 9630 with a 528Mhz processor(storm internals) with a smaller screen and a copy of the Bold keyboard but its somehow better....PRICELESS!!
    dont know if many of you noticed but the 4.6 and 4.7 OS are pretty much the same thing save a tweak here or there depending on the device
    Last edited by giantfan30; 04-02-09 at 11:30 AM.
    04-02-09 11:25 AM
    So...if I bought the 9630 at retail (not about to switch to VZW)...would I be able to use my AT&T SIM in it once it was unlocked? I know I would only be able to use EDGE...but I could get over that.

I love my Bold...and I would never give it up for the 9630 as my daily-driver, but I like the in-between sizing of the 9630 between the Javelin (too small...too cramped) and the Bold, which I still think is perfectly sized. I would be interested in it as a secondary phone just to overcome boredom...
    04-02-09 09:28 PM
    So...if I bought the 9630 at retail (not about to switch to VZW)...would I be able to use my AT&T SIM in it once it was unlocked? I know I would only be able to use EDGE...but I could get over that.

I love my Bold...and I would never give it up for the 9630 as my daily-driver, but I like the in-between sizing of the 9630 between the Javelin (too small...too cramped) and the Bold, which I still think is perfectly sized. I would be interested in it as a secondary phone just to overcome boredom...
    If you unlock the 9630, any sim card would work with it but yea it would only work with EDGE in the states.
    04-02-09 09:31 PM
    >>Bold is GSM only (3G).
    Niagara is 3G CDMA (EV-DO rev.A) with GSM (EDGE). <<
    What does all that mean to a guy from Ohio who wants to do email on a BB??
    Frank
    04-06-09 05:27 AM
    3G is kind of like the high speed vers. of mobile phones. Not 2817392817398 times faster, but faster. GSM devices use Sim cards (when unlocked can be used by any GSM carrier such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Rogers, etc). Whereas CDMA does not. Normally/strictly tied to the carrier that the device is bought with unless unlocked. Some CDMA phones have a GSM/Sim card slot but without the phone being GSM-only, they will not be able to use the 3G network.
    04-06-09 07:54 AM
    in your opinion the 8900 runs better than the Bold...everybody has an opinion
    truth be told the 8900 is slower and does nothing better than the Bold...oh it takes better pictures....
    its like you trying to convince me that a Toyota is better than a Ferrari because it has a bigger gas tank
    the Bold is the flagship RIM device for a reason
    Not true. The 8900 is far superior, aside from anything else, because of double the memory for apps - the memory issue is the dealbreaker for using the Bold, or Storm - and, I assume (and hope) the Niagara will have 256MB internal RAM like the 8900. Having room for apps is becoming paramount on a Smartphone.

I have a Bold, 8900, and Storm. I cannot do a device change from the 8900 to the Storm or Bold, because what I have in the 8900 depletes the memory in the others way before the transfer is over .... It's a wonderful thing never to run low on memory - I have always 85MB or more free on the 8900. This would be equivalent on the Storm or Bold of being short 80-100MB !!!
    04-14-09 04:27 PM
    don't count the niagra out just yet ...we need to wait to the official one is released ...
    and knowing vzw about 2 os upgrades lollol you never know
    Actually I do. I stand by my statement.

No, more RAM does not equal faster device. It can help, but alone will not.

sheesh since when is RAM a bottleneck for the Bold?
    having more application memory does not a faster device make.....of course you will hear a different tune from 8900 and 9630 users..call it an inferiority complex
    Must say I agree for the most part.

Not true. The 8900 is far superior, aside from anything else, because of double the memory for apps - the memory issue is the dealbreaker for using the Bold, or Storm - and, I assume (and hope) the Niagara will have 256MB internal RAM like the 8900. Having room for apps is becoming paramount on a Smartphone.

I have a Bold, 8900, and Storm. I cannot do a device change from the 8900 to the Storm or Bold, because what I have in the 8900 depletes the memory in the others way before the transfer is over .... It's a wonderful thing never to run low on memory - I have always 85MB or more free on the 8900. This would be equivalent on the Storm or Bold of being short 80-100MB !!!
    This is your opinion. Definitely not fact. Yes, more memory on the 8900 is definitely nice. But in no way makes it superior to the Bold. Regardless of anything the 8900 has, it is not as fast as the 9000. Yes it's close, but close does not count. Nor does the 8900 have voice and data. It all comes down to need/wants and preference, but to say the 8900 is superior to the 9000 is downright false. That is the only thing it has over the Bold aside from a better camera with auto-focus.
    04-14-09 05:15 PM
    The Storm processor is actually 528 mhz, just letting the OP know.
    no bold and storm have same processor 624 mhz I just found out info from

BlackBerry Storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (storm)

look at your right side of screen and you can see the processor saying 624 mhz
    04-14-09 11:01 PM
    no bold and storm have same processor 624 mhz I just found out info from

BlackBerry Storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (storm)

look at your right side of screen and you can see the processor saying 624 mhz
    The site is wrong.

I'm sure CX is going to chime in here but, (and He works for RIM if you didn't know) he posted the other day that the Bold has the fastest process or of any BB to date including the Curve.

As for the inferiority complex that someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I have to say I disagree. I own both devices and I do find the Curve 8900 seems to run faster and I do use and like them both. I can use either device any time I want so I would just used that if I wanted, there is no reason to feel inferior.

The browser IS faster. Hands down. (I only have EDGE in my area.) I've loaded the same page side by side several times to test it and the 8900 loads them faster and the scrolling and zooming is faster and does not lag on the 8900 lie it does on the Bold.

EDIT: When I tried the same thing on WiFi the other day the difference was not as startling but the 8900 still loaded the pages marginally faster.
    Last edited by VZWRocka; 04-14-09 at 11:15 PM.
    04-14-09 11:12 PM
    niagara falls ??? haha
    04-14-09 11:13 PM
    The site is wrong.

I'm sure CX is going to chime in here but, (and He works for RIM if you didn't know) he posted the other day that the Bold has the fastest process or of any BB to date including the Curve.

As for the inferiority complex that someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I have to say I disagree. I own both devices and I do find the Curve 8900 seems to run faster and I do use and like them both. I can use either device any time I want so I would just used that if I wanted, there is no reason to feel inferior.

The browser IS faster. Hands down. (I only have EDGE in my area.) I've loaded the same page side by side several times to test it and the 8900 loads them faster and the scrolling and zooming is faster and does not lag on the 8900 lie it does on the Bold.

EDIT: When I tried the same thing on WiFi the other day the difference was not as startling but the 8900 still loaded the pages marginally faster.
    the site I gave out is not wrong sorry and it is correct one !!
    04-14-09 11:17 PM
    The site is wrong.

I have other evidence that storm and bold have same processor so here the link and u can check at

Fastest Processor - Cell Phones Top List

bold and storm are ranked 3 rd fastest processor for cellphone and you can go see for yourself that I am correct about it thank you
    04-14-09 11:23 PM
318 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD