i believe it has the same camera as the 8900. ill try to find out for sure

my guy says same camera as the 8900, which is:

Camera: 3.2 MP camera (JPEG Encoding) with Auto focus, Image stabilization, Flash and 2X Digital Zoom (from blackberry.com).

sweet.
    just a 2X zoom? doesn't my 8330 Curve and 8130 Pearl have a 5X zoom function?

One more question--is this a Bold reshaped to look more like the newer phones or is it a Storm without a touch screen?
    03-06-09 06:59 PM
    This is a CDMA Bold reshaped - no touchscreen.
    03-06-09 08:18 PM
    Has no WI-FI been confirmed? I'm currently very happy with my 8900 but if this has wi-fi I'm all over it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 09:15 PM
    Has no WI-FI been confirmed? I'm currently very happy with my 8900 but if this has wi-fi I'm all over it.

Its not gonna have wifi

03-06-09 09:41 PM
    Its not gonna have wifi

Please DONT state your conjecture as fact. No one here knows for sure. All we know is that the testing units do have it. What happens when it goes to market no one here knows.
    03-06-09 09:45 PM
    Please DONT state your conjecture as fact. No one here knows for sure. All we know is that the testing units do have it. What happens when it goes to market no one here knows.
    You're right- I don't know for a fact. But I'm pretty sure it won't have it.

Which is also why I said its "not gonna have it" instead of that it doesn't have it.

03-07-09 11:00 AM

Which is also why I said its "not gonna have it" instead of that it doesn't have it.

Being someone who credits himself at being a good writer, saying "not gonna have it," and "it doesn't have it" essentially mean the same thing.

Continue as you were.
    03-07-09 12:12 PM

So, stating things as fact is ok as long as it has the word "gonna" in it? Lol

Eh....It's an open forum. The poster can state things however the poster wants. As long as the poster keeps it within the rules and (in this case) doesn't mind a little heckling.
    Last edited by 1 2 MaNy; 03-07-09 at 12:54 PM.
    03-07-09 12:40 PM
    Being someone who credits himself at being a good writer, saying "not gonna have it," and "it doesn't have it" essentially mean the same thing.

Continue as you were.
    "doesn't have it" means as of now it doesn't have it - its a statement of fact about the present. I didn't say that because some (if not all) the models for testing do have wifi. "not gonna have it" means in the future it wont have it. that refers to when its released by VZW. Unfortunately for you, being a good writer actually requires an understanding of the language you're writing about.
    03-07-09 12:44 PM
    Heres some info on the Qualcommm MSM7600--> :: DatasheetPro :: Download MSM7600 datasheet PDF download :: QUALCOMM Incorporated :: MSM7600 Chipset Solution

Wifi is not a limitation from the manufacturers standpoint. Whether or not it will have wifi is completely up to the carrier/s.
    03-07-09 12:53 PM
    Now that's a great find cx

03-07-09 01:13 PM
    "doesn't have it" means as of now it doesn't have it - its a statement of fact about the present. I didn't say that because some (if not all) the models for testing do have wifi. "not gonna have it" means in the future it wont have it. that refers to when its released by VZW. Unfortunately for you, being a good writer actually requires an understanding of the language you're writing about.
    Not actually. Both can be understood in a future sense. But thanks for the explanation.

Continue as you were.
    03-07-09 02:48 PM
    Wifi is not a limitation from the manufacturers standpoint. Whether or not it will have wifi is completely up to the carrier/s.
    If that is the case, do you have any theories as to why carriers request it not to be included?
    03-07-09 07:23 PM
    If I understand correctly companies like Verizon don't want wifi because it provides a free alternative to their 3G. In other words they lose money because less people are getting unlimited data.

However, as a nub, I reserve the right to be wrong, lol. I'm someone like CX could give you a more definitive answer.
    03-07-09 08:45 PM
    If I understand correctly companies like Verizon don't want wifi because it provides a free alternative to their 3G. In other words they lose money because less people are getting unlimited data.

However, as a nub, I reserve the right to be wrong, lol. I'm someone like CX could give you a more definitive answer.
    I don't know how/why this would be different for GSM carriers.
    03-07-09 09:04 PM

I have a data plan on my Samsung sch-i760 and also Wifi. I bought my phone from Verizon. They are not opposed to people having wifi. This is a myth. Also, I would venture to say that people who have wifi will still want a data plan.
    03-07-09 11:24 PM
    data plans are required so that is not the case. However, I think it does provide justification for why those plans are required, even though we have seen BBs running without data plans on other carriers.

But I think the big point for Verizon eliminating it is the profit they will make on travel and overseas roaming. Lets not forget, this is a business phone first, and a WE device! If they add wifi, our data would be free at hotspots overseas. And since data is equally as important as voice, ppl will most certainly need this data stream while traveling abroad! Verizon is capitolizing on this in my view and keeping the wifi off the devices!

Plus, as cx has already reported, he is using an N WITH WIFI! So if it goes to market without, you all will know why!

I would protest this and refuse to buy one without wifi! I thnk if enough people do this and bite the bullet (not buying the latest tech right away), we may win in the end
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-08-09 at 08:40 AM.
    03-08-09 08:37 AM
    If that is the case, do you have any theories as to why carriers request it not to be included?
    In my opinion: VOIP. While this is possible over the carriers data connection at least then they would have the ability to filter it and put a stop to it. With wifi there is a separate, uncontrolled data connection that could be used for both voice and data and reduce the need to subscribe to the bloated voice plans that make up the bulk of a customers MRC.
    03-08-09 11:26 AM
    voip would be hugge on this device..engineering screens have hinted rim are doing some work on this..but who knows
    03-08-09 09:04 PM
    VOIP would rock! I have a data plan and am not sure why i'd really want Wi-Fi! I don't have tons of minutes and if Wi-Fi would leat to VOIP i'd go for that feature! Then i could sit at home and at work and use my phone without going over my minutes--Thanks VZW for adding My Circle!!!
    03-09-09 08:03 AM
    sorry for the noob question but what is VOIP?
    03-12-09 03:13 PM
    sorry for the noob question but what is VOIP?
    Voice over IP
    03-12-09 03:42 PM
    Ok... So what I got out of this whole thread is that the 9630 is closer to being released, but no one really knows when, and that the prototypes rock, but no one really knows for sure what the final version will be. Got it. All clear now.

03-12-09 04:44 PM
    Does anyone know if the Storm has the same processor(msm 7600) as the Niagara? I will make a new Thread maybe I will get a hit there. Thanks guys btw
    Last edited by Shatiek; 03-12-09 at 05:32 PM.
    03-12-09 05:21 PM
    Hey, does anyone know how big the screen is compared to the bold's and the 8900's? I heard it was the size of the bold's a while ago, but in the pic I've seen, it seems to more closely resemble that of the 8900's size. Just wondering!
    03-12-09 08:26 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD