I was just wondering, how did they come up with the name Niagara? Were they at Niagara Falls when brainstorming for names??
    03-05-09 04:44 PM
    I don't know but some of the names they come up with are kinda wierd like Javelin for my 8900.
    03-05-09 04:52 PM
    I don't know but some of the names they come up with are kinda wierd like Javelin for my 8900.
    Wonder what would happen if they kept the names for the release. Instead of Curve, Bold, Storm. There was one post on here talking about the 83xx being "Baby Bear", "Poppa Bear", and "Momma Bear".
    03-05-09 04:55 PM
    the name javelin isnt really a mystery.. a spear.. used primarily for range.. i can see that..

niagra.. i can see it if they are equating it with its associated expression of Thundering Water... a natural force of nature..

Bold, Pearl, Curve.. pretty self explanatory.. the Bold is just that, a bold device.. Pearl.. a small gem, and a curve could be raising the curve etc..

not too hard to grasp their meanings really.

cheers
    03-05-09 05:20 PM
    the name javelin isnt really a mystery.. a spear.. used primarily for range.. i can see that..

niagra.. i can see it if they are equating it with its associated expression of Thundering Water... a natural force of nature..

Bold, Pearl, Curve.. pretty self explanatory.. the Bold is just that, a bold device.. Pearl.. a small gem, and a curve could be raising the curve etc..

cheers
    Sounds like someone is looking a little too far into the names.
    03-05-09 06:05 PM
    lol i agree.
    maybe the names just sound cool?
    lol
    03-05-09 07:04 PM

yes.. because i sit up at night pondering naming schemes.. i guess having a grasp of the english language is a negative point on me eh?

cheers
    03-07-09 03:14 AM
    except bold pearl and curve are the release names not the code names

the javelin is a curve 8900. i forget the code for the bold and the pearl flip is apex.

im sure there is some sort of system they use to decide the codenames dont know why they bother but im sure there is some sort of reasoning. im sure the names do not actually reflect the device.

but if i had to specualte as the meaning behind niagra? i would assume it goes more along the line of the joining on u.s. and canada on one landmark. such as this phone is a fusion of the bold and curve 8900
    03-07-09 03:25 AM
    To be frank, most of these cellphone makers have the same name thing going on. When i was doing some outsourced work for cellphone makers like nokia, they would give "project names" to each model. Sometimes the names have meanings. sometimes they don't mean anything at all. Most of the time, they're pretty funny. When time comes for production, these names never see the light of day.

e.g. Blackberry Storm. "Storm" was initially the project name. "Thunder" was supposed to be the official name, but somehow they stuck with Storm iirc.

Same with the Bold. I think they had already chosen a different name before "Bold" came along.
    03-07-09 09:01 AM

cheers

^ That's just purely subjective and I think your reaching a little.

Only RIM knows why their devices are codenamed the way they are. I still think "Titan", "Solara" and "Ye Old Button Box" would've been great codenames though. Mythological creatures make great codenames too.
    03-07-09 12:52 PM
    yes it may be speculation.. but keep in mind, they do research on stuff like this, and which ever names seem to be more popular they go with. but using keywords to associate an object for something of power, beauty, or ruggedness is so common place, and almost ritualistic in advertising, that its hard to deny the plainly obvious nomenclature they use for their devices...

cameras.. canon.. canon figured out a long time ago that anything with the letter X sells here in the states.. my canon XS dSLR is the 1000D outside the US... marketing and demographics told them that, and it works.

Springfield Armory.. the HS2000 9mm, didnt sell well at all here in the states.. they renamed it the Springfield XD (eXtreme Duty) and now it sells like wild fire.

so yes, i may be speculating on the names exact meaning.. but the nature i refer to is correct.

cheers
    03-07-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD