I just got off the phone with VZW. I am still in my 30 days and have the option to return the phone. I told them I heard about the problem with the trackball and that it is known. The rep looked up the information and said that they have fixed, refurbished, "Like-New" tours that he can send out. I refused to get a used device due to the fact that the NEW device had a flaw. He then dug deeper and found out that the NEW tours are available for shipping on August 21st and that I should call back then and he wrote on my account that I should be sent a new one, not a refurbished one with a better trackball.

I definitely plan on calling back this Friday. Tour will be a great device once the trackball isn't sporadically working.

He also mentioned that the non-camera version will be available to ship a couple days later.
    08-19-09 07:52 PM
    no one responded to my last post. Just called and I didnt want one shipped so I am going to pick them up from my local store who JUST got them in about 30 min ago

These are NEW BB Tours w/ a good trackball (allegedly)
    08-21-09 05:37 PM
    no one responded to my last post. Just called and I didnt want one shipped so I am going to pick them up from my local store who JUST got them in about 30 min ago

These are NEW BB Tours w/ a good trackball (allegedly)
    Seriously... How can anyone know? If they're new, there's no way to tell.

Keep us posted. I want to know if the "new" batch works.
    08-21-09 05:40 PM
    Well make sure you post how the "new" one is working. What did they do with all the tours that were returned?
    08-21-09 05:40 PM
    I got the Green Dot one and know thats the one they refurbished. Keep in mind. All they have to do is take a brand new one, Replace and fix the trackball and send it out and its still considerded "Refurbished". Which is what I was told from the Verizon Reps. So weather its in the original box or a Refurbished box as of right now, Is not a big deal.
    08-21-09 07:08 PM
    well I got a brand new one with a supposedly better trackball. The store had just received them. Does anyone want me to look for any special numbers to see if it is different?

Havent seen fi the trackball is better yet, still syncing

although the last 3 numbers next to the battery are 004

EDIT: Still a slightly loose battery cover
    08-21-09 07:50 PM
    Called Verizon today and told them the trackball wasn't going left and right too well. She said if she sent me one it would be refurbished and I should go to my store. (26th day of the 30) went to the store tonight and tech went in back, opened a new box and gave me a brand new tour. I mentioned the trackball problem and he said this batch fixed the hartdware with the trackball and he "believes" and OS update will be out "real soon" to "fine tune" it. So far I have it set on 70/70 and it is waaay better. The battery door clips shut tight and you can hear it click loudly. No slippage anymore. All in all, its a different phone.
    08-21-09 08:02 PM
    Go to Options > About > scroll down to end of list, just above the line "www.blackberry.com" -- there will be a line that reads:

"Refurbished: N" (or "Y" as the case may be) -- that will indicate if it has been refurbed.

May well still be a brand new (but reworked) device and marked as a refurb, but it will indicate if it has gone through a rework.
    08-21-09 08:34 PM
    Go to Options > About > scroll down to end of list, just above the line "www.blackberry.com" -- there will be a line that reads:

"Refurbished: N" (or "Y" as the case may be) -- that will indicate if it has been refurbed.

May well still be a brand new (but reworked) device and marked as a refurb, but it will indicate if it has gone through a rework.
    this is not present on verizon tours.
    08-21-09 08:41 PM

Dont have that line...the one before "www.blackberry.com" reads "Micro Edition Location Version 1.0.1"

EDIT: just saw above post so NM...im on verizon
    08-21-09 08:41 PM
    Well, my tour is about 20 days old and im not having any issues with the track ball at all. Mine seems to works fine but it does have a texture when scrolling. its not smooth, but i thought this is normal. Is this the issue you all speak of?
    08-21-09 08:49 PM
    Well, my tour is about 20 days old and im not having any issues with the track ball at all. Mine seems to works fine but it does have a texture when scrolling. its not smooth, but i thought this is normal. Is this the issue you all speak of?
    The texture when scrolling is normal. But the issue is when one scrolls left/right the cursor doesn't move proportionally, if at all. Increasing the sensitivity reduces the problem but makes it very difficult to make precise movements (especially on webpages and text).
    08-21-09 09:36 PM
    If you have the BlackBerry Box the phone came in, you can find the date it was made above where it was made. For example, where your phone says Mexico 5, you'll see six numbers above it. That is the date.
    08-24-09 02:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD