I just received a refurbished Tour 9630 yesterday. My son and nephew have helped me with a couple initial problems, but their recommendation to join this forum and discuss things here has led me to this point.

More than anything else right now, I'd like to manipulate the way I receive email. I would like to get incoming email, but nothing else. In other words, when I write email from my computer, I don't want a copy of the sent mail showing up on my phone. Without going into details, I get about 100 emails a day and my replies, which are pretty specific instead of global, create another 50 more.

Would anyone be able to tell me how to keep from receiving sent email?

I have Sprint for my supplier and I use Gmail, if that helps...

============================================

Next question - Isn't there a keyboard alternative for the @ when you want to enter an email address?
    That was something my previous phone, (not a smart phone), had on a key of its own.

============================================

Lastly - My phone didn't come with a memory chip in it. I don't intend to keep music on it, but I do like to keep pictures of my grandkids, so What's a reasonable size chip to get without it being too small or being overkill?

Thanks,
    Dennis
    11-01-11 11:20 AM
    Are you using a Mac computer with GMail? If so, this is a Mac issue with the way that it interacts with GMail.

You could set up an AutoText entry for the @ symbol if you don't want to use the the ALT P combination.

Get a 4 or 8 GB memory card.
    11-01-11 11:24 AM
    Hi SwitchBeach...

No, I'm using a PC, but with Linux for the OS.

Alt P will be fine. I just couldn't find it in the manual or overlooked it. It just seemed entirely too complicated to hit the Sym key and scroll around. I could understand if you hit the Sym key and @ was the first thing there to hit.

Something else I'm seeing I'm not sure about... The screen tends to be dim. Then it will get bright for no apparent reason, but it doesn't start bright and go dim as if it was a power saving feature or something. It doesn't get so dim it's unusable,

And thanks for the suggestion about the memory chip.
    11-01-11 11:42 AM
    For you sent mail issue, when in the messages - press the Menu key then go to Options. Under Messages Display and Actions, check the box next to Hide Sent Messages.

As for the screen issue, could be because you have Automatically Dim Backlight on. You can change this under Options > Display
    11-01-11 11:54 AM
    Hi SwitchBeach...

No, I'm using a PC, but with Linux for the OS.

Alt P will be fine. I just couldn't find it in the manual or overlooked it. It just seemed entirely too complicated to hit the Sym key and scroll around. I could understand if you hit the Sym key and @ was the first thing there to hit.

Something else I'm seeing I'm not sure about... The screen tends to be dim. Then it will get bright for no apparent reason, but it doesn't start bright and go dim as if it was a power saving feature or something. It doesn't get so dim it's unusable,

And thanks for the suggestion about the memory chip.
    The dimming/brightening is due to the light sensor where the LED is.

Basically when you're either outside or in a bright room, if the light sensor senses high lighting conditions then it will crank up the brightness so you can see the screen easier.

When you're in a dark room or normal lighting the screen will dim since there is no need for such a high contrast, and it saves battery.
    11-01-11 11:55 AM
    I think I've made some progress here. I seem to have turned off receiving sent mail. I wrote myself an email on the computer. It arrived on the computer, but is hidden on the phone. The phone still sounded, but there's no message there.

Is that the right way to do it?
    11-01-11 12:50 PM
    Another newbie question - Is there a key to press that will turn off the screen or do I have to let it wait to turn itself off itself?

Also, could you recommend accessories to protect this phone. I hate things hanging on my belt, so I'd prefer to keep it in my pocket. I'd like to protect the screen from scratches and I guess one of those rubber bumpers around it protects the edges? Is there anything other that that you might recommend?
    11-02-11 06:07 PM
    1. The Lock Button on the top of the device.
    2. I would recommend a pocket/pouch sleeve case. Such as this. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=O2W1Y8bI

And I would also recommend a screen protector from Best Skins Ever.
    11-02-11 07:16 PM
    "Next question - Isn't there a keyboard alternative for the @ when you want to enter an email address?
    That was something my previous phone, (not a smart phone), had on a key of its own."

When typing an email address into an address field you can use the space bar key to insert an @ and the . - first time you hit space it inserts @ next time .

"Another newbie question - Is there a key to press that will turn off the screen or do I have to let it wait to turn itself off itself?"

I believe you can hold the "A" key and it will lock the phone. To unlock you will have to use the button on the top.

I would also recommend the OEM synthetic pocket pouch. I used one with my Tour for almost two years and it worked very well. The pouch also has a magnet in it which will turn off the screen when it's in it. It will also allow you to take advantage of the "when holstered" settings.
    Last edited by bgriff25; 11-03-11 at 05:40 AM.
    11-03-11 05:26 AM
    I believe you can hold the "A" key and it will lock the phone. To unlock you will have to use the button on the top.
    My BB Tour 9630 doesn't have any buttons on the top.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I have a leather belt holder I borrowed from the lost & found at work, but I seem to hit my arm on it all the time, not to mention bumping into door frames with it. I've always kept my phone in my pocket, but I've also watched it get more and more scratched from coins and such, so something like the pocket pouch sounds like my best bet.

Thanks again,
    Dennis
    11-03-11 10:08 AM
    I forgot to mention - When I charged the phone yesterday, it was sitting next to me. All of a sudden I hear it say, "Charging completed" in the voice of Gilbert Gottfried. Is that some leftover programming from the previous owner? (Refurb phone)

If it is, it's definitely something I'd like to change... maybe to someone sexier?
    11-03-11 10:10 AM
    My BB Tour 9630 doesn't have any buttons on the top.
    They aren't really buttons, but you can press either corner on the top of the phone . One side is unlock and the other side is mute. Mute is great for when you don't want to answer a call but don't want to be so obvious and send it straight to voice mail.

I forgot to mention - When I charged the phone yesterday, it was sitting next to me. All of a sudden I hear it say, "Charging completed" in the voice of Gilbert Gottfried. Is that some leftover programming from the previous owner? (Refurb phone)
    I remember this coming up in another thread and I believe it has something to do with a 3rd party app that someone had installed. I'm not sure which app, so I cant help you there.
    11-03-11 10:24 AM
    I'll be. There are buttons there that you wouldn't know are there unless you pressed them. Best of all, (not), the Tour manual from Sprint, which is not the Blackberry version of the manual, doesn't say a thing about them.

Thanks!
    11-03-11 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD