ShortcutMe 3.6.8 for Tour has following new features:

(New in 3.6.8.4 comparing to 3.6.8.0: SMS Shortcuts and Media App Shortcuts works now on BB OS 5.0)

- NEW Bluetooth toggling feature that doesn't need any parameter and is fast!

We introduced Bluetooth toggling by shortcuts several months ago. Even that it was new and no one else had it, it needed you to set 2 parameters for it, something that many found not to be very easy.
    It was slow as you needed to wait for it to switch pages and pages before switching Bluetooth on/off.
    Many users did not set the parameters correctly and got confused.

So, now this new Blutooth toggling feature should make life easier as it is much faster and it doesn't need you to set any parameter!

Like before, you can set "Bluetooth_Toggle" to one of your multiple click shortcuts (i.e. double click right conv. key to toggle BT and save battery life), or set it as one of your main shortcuts (i.e. ConvKey + T B )

- Toggle Bedside Mode using shortcuts
    Set "BedsideMode_Toggle" to one of your multiple click shortcuts (i.e. click left conv. key 3 times before you sleep to save battery and stop messages waking your up. Click conv. key 3 times again when you wake up), or set it as one of your main shortcuts.

- Toggle application using shortcuts
    Set "Application_Toggle" to one of your multiple click shortcuts (i.e. double click left conv key to toggle between last 2 apps you have been using), or set it as one of your main shortcuts

- Faster response time

- Radio_Toggle2 and WiFi_Toggle2 are added

- Allows storing/restoring Call shortcuts that have '!' ',' (and other signs) in the parameter field
    Useful when you are using a shortcut in ShortcutMe to call using your long distance account.

- Plus some minor bug fixes and minor UI changes.

- Other extra features (below) in previous versions stay intact:

AirplaneMode_Toggle,
    Browser_WAP,
    Bluetooth_Config,
    WiFi_Toggle,
    Radio_Toggle,
    Calendar_DayView,
    Calendar_New,
    AddressBook_New,
    Tasks_New,
    MemoPad_New,
    Device_InfoPlus,
    CallLog,
    EventLog

As usual fully functional free trial version is available from here:
    ShortcutMe, Fastest BlackBerry Shortcuts Application - Personal Productivity Blackberry Software

Pricing:

- Free to upgrade doesn't matter when and where you have bought ShortcutMe
    (Free upgrades until, at least, March 2010)
    - Free to test fully functional version before you buy.
    - $4.99 after the free trial period is over.

For those who do not know what ShortcutMe is:

ShortcutMe is a super fast, powerful, yet easy to setup, BlackBerry shortcuts application that allows you to
    - assign 6 applications/tasks to your BlackBerry Convenience/Side Keys.
    - create your own shortcuts for your BlackBerry for:

- Launching most of BlackBerry and 3rd party applications
    - Quickly (<1.5 seconds) checking 5 days weather forecast for yours and other cities
    - Quickly (<1.5 seconds) checking your stock market portfolio and indexes.
    - Taking screen-shots (With Quality and Delay setting)
    - Toggle Bluetooth, Radio, AirplaneMode
    - Setting Profiles
    and much more ...

You can launch your shortcuts by:
    - Multiple clicking convenience keys (Extremely fast)
    - Conv.Key + your shortcut (i.e. A+B or A for Address Book) (Very fast)
    - Conv.Key + part of your shortcut to see related shortcuts (i.e U for utility) (fast)
    - Conv. key + trackball navigation and click (Slow)

Short video clips about ShortcutMe:

Do you want to double click (from anywhere) to see the weather forecast for your city and other 3 cities in less than 1.5 seconds?
    See video (61 seconds) demoing this feature:

Do you want to double click at any time to capture the current screen?
    See video (46 seconds) demoing this feature:

YouTube HD clip for ShortcutMe, the fastest BlackBerry Shortcut application, can be found here:

Last edited by Vijik; 10-31-09 at 02:14 PM.
    10-23-09 08:44 AM
    I wish I'd heard about this before I bought Quicklaunch. It seems a little better. Anyone use this and know how it compares to Quicklaunch?
    10-23-09 10:46 AM
    I wish I'd heard about this before I bought Quicklaunch. It seems a little better. Anyone use this and know how it compares to Quicklaunch?
    I am not going to compare the two, just mentioning that many QL users have bought ShortcutMe, and many ShortcutMe users have bought QL.

Based on many of our support emails that we receive, we know that many people running and using both of them on their BlackBerry.

Both apps are extremely low priced comparing to what they offer. That could be the reason why many have bought both apps.
    10-23-09 11:32 AM
    I am not going to compare the two, just mentioning that many QL users have bought ShortcutMe, and many ShortcutMe users have bought QL.

Based on many of our support emails that we receive, we know that many people running and using both of them on their BlackBerry.

Both apps are extremely low priced comparing to what they offer. That could be the reason why many have bought both apps.
    Who ever knew BB users cared so much about weather?! But, I guess, when the price differential can be $5 or more, you have to argue. Fortunately, with ShortcutMe and Quicklaunch, they both cost the same. Which one is better? Neither!

The debate exists because Nikkisoft will not provide a free trial, the developers of Quicklaunch. Yet, QL is frequently in the top ten best selling apps and featured in most custom themes. Why? Why not ShortcutMe?

It's just a matter of preference, IMHO. Do you want a shortcut system that feels like a system menu, fits your themes well, and is very easy to set up? Or do you want a shortcut system that can provide a keyboard shortcut to practically everything you'd want to have a shortcut for? I think many users buy both because they like the appearance and ease of use factors with QL, but also want to the capabilities of ShortcutMe.

The problem with too many shortcuts is that they are easy to forget. "Was it 3 clicks for my friends phone number?... 2 clicks on the right key or left key for the Bluetooth?.... oh, gosh, which abbreviation did I use for my 2nd John and my 3rd Mary?" So, you jump onto the menu of ShortcutMe to find it and the application interrupts what you're doing. Or you go about trying to set up keyboard shortcuts for everything you do on your BB and you don't understand what you're doing! Case in point is the OP, where the bluetooth option was upgraded because of user complaints that they got confused trying to figure it out how to set it.

Quicklaunch is very easy to use, simple to set up shortcuts, and feels very much like a normal PC start menu. I remember when I tried out ShortcutMe, I wanted to like it, but I got confused trying to set up shortcuts. I went back to QL and been happy with what Nikkisoft's product provides. It's not as comprehensive as ShortcutMe, meaning you can have considerably more shortcuts with SCM than QL, but I find QL easier to use and does the job just fine for me. It's up to you, what do you want? Perhaps, you want both!
    10-23-09 01:04 PM
    ShortcutMe is aimed for power users who want to launch their apps in very short time, users who prefer entering shortcuts instead of launching using trackball navigating and clicking which is the usual way used in BlackBerry OS (i.e. BlackBerry Home Screen).

However, we still have many not very technical users who use ShortcutMe. Most interesting one is one of our new ShortcutMe users who is a 64 years old lady!

Regarding user confusion that I mentioned (and trjnberry abused):

2 months ago, when we introduced GPS Config, Bluetooth Toggle, etc we had to ask users to enter parameters as various versions of BB OS had different menu items, page setups. So the user had to enter proper parameter based on their OS version.
    (QL has just got those features implemented and therefore is now requiring users to enter the same parameters that SCM needed in last two months)

However, the new Bluetooth Toggle feature in ShortcutMe doesn't require any parameters and it is fast as it does not changes several pages before toggling Bluetooth! So less confusions as no parameter needs to be entered!
    10-23-09 06:37 PM
    ShortcutMe is aimed for power users who want to launch their apps in very short time, users who prefer entering shortcuts instead of launching using trackball navigating and clicking which is the usual way used in BlackBerry OS (i.e. BlackBerry Home Screen).

However, we still have many not very technical users who use ShortcutMe. Most interesting one is one of our new ShortcutMe users who is a 64 years old lady!

Regarding user confusion that I mentioned (and trjnberry abused):

2 months ago, when we introduced GPS Config, Bluetooth Toggle, etc we had to ask users to enter parameters as various versions of BB OS had different menu items, page setups. So the user had to enter proper parameter based on their OS version.
    (QL has just got those features implemented and therefore is now requiring users to enter the same parameters that SCM needed in last two months)

However, the new Bluetooth Toggle feature in ShortcutMe doesn't require any parameters and it is fast as it does not changes several pages before toggling Bluetooth! So less confusions as no parameter needs to be entered!

Interesting, Vijik. I like the improvement of features that both SCM and Quicklaunch are doing to try to be the better shortcut app. In the end, I think the users will benefit from this "friendly competition". I still think the usage of one over the other is just a case of user preference. I find that many of the themes that I use provide access to common apps via the homescreen icons and QL fills in the rest just fine for me. I don't use the convenience keys much, so I like how QL fits my themes well and can be accessible from any system menu. Other users may prefer the multiple keys and clicks that SCM provides. To each his own.
    10-24-09 12:05 AM
    One should realize that you can quickly turn Bluetooth on and off by clicking Manage Connections icon and the bluetooth option. With themes like 3G Tour, the icon is fixed on your homescreen. Very quick and easy to use.
    10-24-09 12:14 AM
    The only thing I care about still isnt there .... Easily my favorite BB app for the Tour but limiting it at 50 shortcuts stinks! I need more dude... a lot more.
    10-24-09 02:10 AM
    Interesting, Vijik. I like the improvement of features that both SCM and Quicklaunch are doing to try to be the better shortcut app. In the end, I think the users will benefit from this "friendly competition". I still think the usage of one over the other is just a case of user preference. I find that many of the themes that I use provide access to common apps via the homescreen icons and QL fills in the rest just fine for me. I don't use the convenience keys much, so I like how QL fits my themes well and can be accessible from any system menu. Other users may prefer the multiple keys and clicks that SCM provides. To each his own.
    Nothing is wrong with your personal opinion. But this is a thread about ShortcutMe and it's new features.
    Feel free to discuss your opinion on threads where it fits.
    On this thread I hope I can get feedback from users about possible bugs and improvement suggestions.
    We have several thousands ShortcutMe users. Even that ShortcutMe upgrades have been always free but we have a responsibility to make the upgrades better and more bug free.

I don't want the discussion to be derailed.
    10-24-09 08:36 AM
    One should realize that you can quickly turn Bluetooth on and off by clicking Manage Connections icon and the bluetooth option. With themes like 3G Tour, the icon is fixed on your homescreen. Very quick and easy to use.
    Themes require users to be in, or switch to the home screen.

ShortcutMe allow you to toggle Bluetooth by for example double clicking a convenience key from any other app (or from home screen).
    (Consistent, fast and always easily available).

Edit: Besides, Themes are not consistent on all BB models. If you change your BB you might not have your special theme available on the new BB model but you will have ShortcutMe available on the new model.
    Last edited by Vijik; 10-24-09 at 05:24 PM.
    10-24-09 08:43 AM
    The only thing I care about still isnt there .... Easily my favorite BB app for the Tour but limiting it at 50 shortcuts stinks! I need more dude... a lot more.
    Nomadpass, your request is in our Wished Feature List.
    Actually 3 or 4 other ShortcutMe users have asked about the same change.

The reason why we have not done it yet is that it will change the software so much that users who want to upgrade to that version need to delete ShortcutMe first and then install the new version. That means that it brakes the super easy upgrade feature that we have today and it will cause lots of confusion and mass support emails.

However we will increase number of shortcuts in future.
    10-24-09 08:56 AM
    ShortcutMe FTW, will update as soon as possible. New fixes look nice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-09 09:11 AM
    I bought QL within an hour of its first release for my storm and it was great for the touchscreen of that device. With the hard keys of the tour I now use and prefer shortcutme by far. Just my .02.

10-24-09 09:13 AM
    FYI Bluetooth toggle does not work on my 9630 running .57. It goes to add device and then cancels out.

10-24-09 09:30 AM
    FYI Bluetooth toggle does not work on my 9630 running .57. It goes to add device and then cancels out.

Have you set ShortcutMe's permission to all Allow after upgrading?
    10-24-09 09:32 AM
    I bought QL within an hour of its first release for my storm and it was great for the touchscreen of that device. With the hard keys of the tour I now use and prefer shortcutme by far. Just my .02.

It might be irrelevant to you now after you have changed to Tour, but just wanted to let you know that:

As soon as ShortcutMe for Storm is launched, it brings up a virtual keypad that allows users to enter their shortcuts.

It was done so to help those ShortcutMe users who change from none-touch BlackBerry to touched version (Storm). That means that they can still use their very own shortcuts on the new touch BlackBerry.

Then, many users reported that the virtual keypad makes the whole launching process much faster as they didn't need to browser through shortcuts on their new BlackBerry.
    10-24-09 09:42 AM
    Have you set ShortcutMe's permission to all Allow after upgrading?
    Yes. It is an issue with the selection sequence.

10-24-09 11:27 AM
    Yes. It is an issue with the selection sequence.

1- What version of ShortcutMe do you run?

2- What is the AppName and Parameter value you have set for that shortcut (the one that doesn't work)?
    10-24-09 11:43 AM
    1- What version of ShortcutMe do you run?

2- What is the AppName and Parameter value you have set for that shortcut (the one that doesn't work)?
    Got it! Changed the parameter from 3 to 1. Thanks for the help, great program.

10-24-09 11:58 AM
    Got it! Changed the parameter from 3 to 1. Thanks for the help, great program.

It sounds like you have not upgraded to the latest version of ShortcutMe for Tour (3.6.8.0)
    In ShortcutMe 3.6.8.0, the Bluetooth_toggle doesn't need any parameters at all (and it is faster to toggle BT).
    Last edited by Vijik; 10-24-09 at 05:27 PM.
    10-24-09 05:18 PM
    It sounds like you have not upgraded to the latest version of ShortcutMe for Tour (3.6.8.0)
    In ShortcutMe 3.6.8.0, the Bluetooth_toggle doesn't need any parameters at all (and it is faster to toggle BT).
    You were correct. I was on 3.6.5. Thanks, keep up the good work.

10-24-09 08:01 PM
    Nothing is wrong with your personal opinion. But this is a thread about ShortcutMe and it's new features.
    Feel free to discuss your opinion on threads where it fits.
    On this thread I hope I can get feedback from users about possible bugs and improvement suggestions.
    We have several thousands ShortcutMe users. Even that ShortcutMe upgrades have been always free but we have a responsibility to make the upgrades better and more bug free.

I don't want the discussion to be derailed.
    Sure, Ok. I was just responding earlier because one of the responses to your original posting asked about Quicklaunch and how it compared to ShortcutMe.
    10-25-09 01:51 AM
    Themes require users to be in, or switch to the home screen.

ShortcutMe allow you to toggle Bluetooth by for example double clicking a convenience key from any other app (or from home screen).
    (Consistent, fast and always easily available).

Edit: Besides, Themes are not consistent on all BB models. If you change your BB you might not have your special theme available on the new BB model but you will have ShortcutMe available on the new model.
    True, but all BB's have that Manage Connections icon from what I can tell. You can just put your icon on your homescreen and click it from there. In fairness to QL, you can double click a convenience key to launch bluetooth, too. (Just responding to your comment to me. My future comments on this thread will comply with your ealier request to limit topics to SCM technical issues.)
    10-25-09 02:06 AM
    Sure, Ok. I was just responding earlier because one of the responses to your original posting asked about Quicklaunch and how it compared to ShortcutMe.
    Fair enough.
    10-25-09 07:38 AM
    True, but all BB's have that Manage Connections icon from what I can tell. You can just put your icon on your homescreen and click it from there. In fairness to QL, you can double click a convenience key to launch bluetooth, too. (Just responding to your comment to me. My future comments on this thread will comply with your ealier request to limit topics to SCM technical issues.)
    Many people don't want always to go to home screen to do something else, specially when they are browsing (or when running other slow or important apps)

ShortcutMe allows users to double, triple, quadruple each conv key to toggle BT, WiFi, Radio, switch to other tasks and it does not require users to set those tasks (like Bluetooth Toggle) as the first shortcut in their list!
    Multiple click apps in ShortcutMe are setup separately allowing users to assign other shortcuts independently.

Assume this setup in ShortcutMe:

2x right conv key: Bt toggle
    3x right conv key: Radio toggle
    4x right conv key: WiFi toggle

2x left conv key: Call partner (Home)
    3x left conv key: Call partner (Cell)
    4x left conv key: Email partner

Now assume you are browsing internet with BB. Then you walk to your car equiped with BT handsfree.

With ShortcutMe, you can:
    - turn on bluetooth (2x right)
    - call your partner (2x left)
    - if she is not home call her cell (3x left)

then when you are home you can
    - turn off BT (2x right)
    - turn off radio (3x right)
    - and turn on WiFi (4x right)

You can do all above commonly used tasks by just multiple clicking convenience keys.
    All this (and more) without even exiting the browser page or switching to Home Screen. And no requirements about where to locate these most used tasks in settings and no need to browse through your shortcuts in your shortcut/launcher app.

The new Bluetooth toggling feature in SCM 3.6.8.0 doesn't switch to Options page and then to Bluetooth page and then open a menu and then enable/disable BT.
    10-25-09 08:44 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD