My story:

Got a Tour last month, upgraded to new 5.0.0.whatever software with Verizon, started having phantom new messages.

I tried everything--battery pull, searching "unopened only" messages, I even wiped my entire phone and reloaded everything.

Nothing worked and Verizon gave me a new phone... but two days later, I'M HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? It's driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance,
    Jessie
    Last edited by j-gotsdiner; 04-15-10 at 11:30 AM.
    04-15-10 11:28 AM
    Hi,
    Could you add your screen shot here?
    thanks

Fatih Kurnaz
    (Avea, Vodafone, Turkcell Blackberry Bis)
    04-15-10 11:35 AM
    I don't know how to take a screenshot... but it's just the standard new message icon at the top of my screen with 3 "unread" messages, even though I don't have any.

^ Like the top middle icon, that says 7*
    04-15-10 11:39 AM
    i ran across this problem in my old 8330m from sprint a battery pull normally solved if i didn't have any "new" messages. my tour hasn't had any problems like that. there is also a glitch that i have found but its hard to explain im sure its not a isolated incident.
    04-15-10 12:02 PM
    Have you checked all of your missed calls/voice mail? I had that problem when I first got my Tour because I didn't realize it notified with the envelope when I had a voice mail. Once I checked my vm and cleared my missed calls the notification went away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 12:08 PM
    I deleted EVERY message on my tour and it never went away. i uninstalled some apps and it finally went away. i couldn't tell you which app was causing it, but it fixed it.
    04-15-10 12:10 PM
    Yes, I have checked all of the missed calls and everything.

I am so annoyed... and I don't feel like I should have to delete random apps until the problem goes away. Thanks for that tip, though!
    04-15-10 12:18 PM
    Normally in my case it's just an overlooked message.

My first step is to go to my home page, BB button> show all and check if the indicator is on any folder I have hidden. If not...

Battery pull.
    04-15-10 04:59 PM
    Um, like I've said, I've tried that (several times).

Still no luck.
    04-15-10 05:18 PM
    You're not alone. There are a few other threads on this same issue. The only thing I found that helps is if you wipe your message DBs from Desktop Manager, reboot the phone, sync them back and then reboot again. You might be able to skip the reboot steps. That clears the icons for a day or so.
    Last edited by Psychor; 04-15-10 at 09:57 PM.
    04-15-10 09:50 PM
    Update: After spending 48 minutes on the phone with Verizon, and 22 minutes on the phone with BlackBerry, I had to clear all of my SMS/MMS messages for the icon to go away. Sigh...
    04-17-10 03:53 PM
    Are you running the gmail app? I had it on mine a while back and the new message indicator wouldn't clear until I opened them in the gmail app, even though I had opened all of them in the Messages folder. Hope it helps.
    04-17-10 07:47 PM
    Nope. Thank you, though.
    04-17-10 07:50 PM
    Update: After spending 48 minutes on the phone with Verizon, and 22 minutes on the phone with BlackBerry, I had to clear all of my SMS/MMS messages for the icon to go away. Sigh...
    Still indicator free? If I clear my databases and restore my databases I'm good until the next reboot. Then the indicator returns.
    04-18-10 02:08 PM
    Still indicator free? If I clear my databases and restore my databases I'm good until the next reboot. Then the indicator returns.
    BlackBerry told me not to restore my databases. Just clear SMS/MMS and start over fresh.

Frustrating, yes, but at least I didn't lose my emails (the important stuff).
    04-18-10 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD