I am traveling to Europe for about 3 months and am looking into buying a sim card there with a local phone number, but to my understanding, my phone will need to be unlocked in order to be able to do this.

How the heck do I flash it or unlock it so that I will be able to use it overseas? I've been searching everywhere on the internet to no avail it seems like.

I would appreciate any help! Current network is Verizon, I don't know if that helps anything.

Thanks!
    12-09-09 05:49 PM
    You should be able to call Verizon and explain your situation. They should give you the unlock code. My Tour came unlocked from the factory.
    12-09-09 05:53 PM
    How about if I'm not a Verizon customer? Friend gave me this phone because he upgraded to an iPhone.
    12-09-09 05:57 PM
    Have you checked if it is already unlocked? Like I stated my Tour came unlocked from the factory.
    12-09-09 05:59 PM
    Are you a sprint customer? If you're using a 9630 on any US network other than those two, I think it means you're unlocked already. I just had VZ unlock mine the other day, they say you need an account in good standing and the device must have been on your account for the last 60 days
    12-09-09 06:05 PM
    No its locked to the Verizon network I guess. I tried calling them but they wouldn't give me the unlock information. Their advice was "you can find that information on the black market, but we won't give it out for other carriers" Boo.

I have AT&T, id like to use it on there while I'm still in the states if possible, I'm good with computers and manipulating the files and all, I'd just need some instruction but am at a loss as to where to find it.

I understand there is a way to flash the software this way but I'm having trouble finding the information for that over the web since the Tour has Adobe Flash software installed on it. That is the only search that is coming up. And I've never owned a BB so I'm not as familiar with its OS at this point.
    12-09-09 06:06 PM
    I would try putting your At&T sim card in, changing the network technology to gsm/umts and seeing if the phone works. If not go to a Verizon store and sweet talk the tech behind the desk, they might unlock it for you.
    12-09-09 06:11 PM
    Is it that easy for them? I'm good at sweet talking, that might be my best bet haha
    12-09-09 06:14 PM
    There are vendors here on the site that will give you an unlock code for payment. The price isn't very steep.

Also, CrackBerry does give away free unlock codes every now and again, so you can always try that
    12-09-09 06:14 PM
    how would I find info about a free unlock code? and if it gets unlocked by a third party would I be able to switch back and forth from AT&T and whatever European provider I decide to use? I've never looked into doing this before
    12-09-09 06:29 PM
    No its locked to the Verizon network I guess. I tried calling them but they wouldn't give me the unlock information. Their advice was "you can find that information on the black market, but we won't give it out for other carriers" Boo.
    Verizon's global number is 1 800 711 8300 and they can unlock it there providing that you have been with Verizon for a certain amount of time and have an account in good standing..

Should you be a new Verizon customer and they say they wont unlock your phone, your only choices are to switch to an international plan or use one of the company's that do it for a reasonable charge. Vzw does do it free however..
    12-09-09 07:16 PM
    how would I find info about a free unlock code? and if it gets unlocked by a third party would I be able to switch back and forth from AT&T and whatever European provider I decide to use? I've never looked into doing this before
    Seriously doubt you will find a free unlock code. But after its unlocked, its unlocked..
    12-09-09 07:18 PM
    I think the unlockers on here only charge like 10 or 20 bucks. There is a forum for unlocking. You'll probably find what you need there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 08:12 PM
    Got it unlocked. Thanks everyone! Now to get used to this Blackberry OS... I'm used to windows mobile. Not sure if I like this yet!!
    12-09-09 09:08 PM
    I recommend reading the BB 101 lecture series. You will find that most of your questions will be answered there. Just two or three days and you will feel more at one with your device.

12-09-09 09:18 PM
    Glad to see it got unlocked.
    12-09-09 09:19 PM
    Got it unlocked. Thanks everyone! Now to get used to this Blackberry OS... I'm used to windows mobile. Not sure if I like this yet!!
    How did you get it unlocked?

12-10-09 08:00 AM
    by carrier unlock, haha. Now I can use it with any sim card, and won't have to get it unlocked again when I go to Europe, correct? Sorry I'm a newb
    12-10-09 10:36 AM
    by carrier unlock, haha. Now I can use it with any sim card, and won't have to get it unlocked again when I go to Europe, correct? Sorry I'm a newb
    Nope, once it's unlocked, it's unlocked .
    12-10-09 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD