Hi All,

So, I bought my first BB about a week or two ago. It's not been too hard to figure everything out, especially thanks to this forum Anyway, I do have a couple lingering questions, if anyone can help (and sorry if I missed any of these in previously discussed threads):

1. Battery life - Battery life seems to suck. I know I've been playing with it a lot and yes, I can just plug it in the car or at bedtime, but is there anything else that I can do to help? I've lessened the time the screen is on, tried not to have the LED lights on (what the heck is the purpose of the LED lights anyway). Help?

2. Folders - Is there anyway to get my apps out of the apps folder and on to the BB screen (the folder that opens when you push the BB button). Some seem to do that already, like BerryWeather, but I can't figure out how to get others to do it.

3. Opera Mini - I haven't been successful getting this to run on my Tour. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

4. Pandora - Two things...and the first maybe solved by the second. I want to listen to pandora throught the AUX cable in my car. For some reason there is no volume (it comes only through the BB speaker) when listening to Pandora. Other MP3 songs on my BB work just fine through the AUX cable. Second, there is a new update to Pandora (maybe this is the fix I need?), but when I run the update it says that it does not recognize my type of BB

Sorry for all of the questions, thanks in advance for any help
    08-06-09 03:09 PM
    In answer to your first two questions:

1. There have been a ton of posts on CB re sucky battery life, so I'd suggest by starting with a search. In the meantime, are you sure you don't have a ton of apps running in the background? You can check which apps are still running by holding down the BB key until the App Switcher pops up.

2. Highlight the icon you want to move, click the BB button, scroll down and click Move to Folder, then click Home.
    08-06-09 03:13 PM
    Battery:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ba...y-last-287293/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ba...on-fix-287206/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/bu...attery-275849/

Folders: BB button > Move to Folder > Home

Opera: Are you getting an error message?

Pandora: I don't use, maybe someone else can help!
    08-06-09 03:15 PM
    I'm a new BB user also, and after having my Tour for a couple weeks here are my answers:
    1)Battery life does stink compared to a standard phone. I have noticed that after discharging my phone a couple times and fully charging it using the AC cord, my battery life has significantly improved. What helps a lot is using the case or putting the phone into standby mode as often as possibly (pushing the top right button on top of the phone). Also, make sure you have the minimal programs running in the background- always close out your browsers or apps after you finish using them, and verify the minimum are running by pressing and holding the menu key.
    2) You have to move the folders around to prioritize them. Select the folder you want to move, press the menu key and select "move". Then select the new position and click to drop it there. You can move the same folders from the apps folder into your main folder my selecting the app, clicking the menu button, then "move to folder", and then selecting "home". Then you will find it in the main folder menu.
    3) I downloaded Opera mini but after not really using it much I got rid of it. It worked fine on my phone-I didn't see the benefit to it, in all honesty.
    4) No clue...maybe someone can help you with this one.
    08-06-09 03:17 PM
    Welcome to the world of Blackberry,

I can try to answer some of the questions.

1. Battery Life - Im not sure what type of phone you are coming off of, but I would have to say in my experience with PDA's and Smartphones Blackberry has the best batter life. You might want to check and see if there are any programs running after you close them. (hold down menu button should bring up running programs)

2. To move apps out of the apps folder, select the app, hit menu, move to folder, and select what folder you want it to be in. Or chose "home" to be on the main screen.

3. I personally dont use opera mini, I did when I had a curve. I think you should give the standard Blackberry Internet a try. The Tour seems alot better then some of the other Blackberry's Ive had.

4. I am not 100% sure about this one, I havn't tried playing Pandora through the AUX in my car. But I will give it a try on my way home from work and update this post after.

Hope some of that was helpful...
    08-06-09 03:19 PM
    As far as your battery goes there are threads upon threads discussing it. Couple key factors, do you actually close apps after you run them or just hit the back key? How is the service in your area? I wouldn't worry a ton about the LED's as the power they consume is minimal, but to answer the purpose for them I can only say that they are a visual indicator of mssgs, or alerts. I know when I am in a meeting and need to silence my phone, I like to be able to look down and quickly see there is a mssg.
    08-06-09 03:19 PM
    Wow! You guys are fast

Okay, so I didn't realize that I could press down the BB button and see my apps running in the background...duh! Well, I did have stuff running, so thanks so much for that tip!

I'll definitely try and cycle the battery more...allthough, I have been doing that..just not voluntarily, haha.

Opera, just going to try and download it again...it's not a huge deal, I just wanted to see what all of the hype was about. The BB browser doesn't seem that bad to me.

Pandora, I don't know...not a huge issue, just annoying that the first version recognized my Tour and the update doesn't.

Home folder - another duh! Sorry, just one of those things that I guess I knew, but I guess I was thinking of it more as a "I want to put in on my home screen" and wasn't looking at it as an entire folder...I'm sure that makes no sense, but I've "got it" now.

Thanks for all of the replies and not flaming me too bad
    08-06-09 03:30 PM
    NewBerryCAGirl- as in Newberry Park CA., or was that a play on being a new BB user?
    08-06-09 03:33 PM
    NewBerryCAGirl- as in Newberry Park CA., or was that a play on being a new BB user?
    Ha! I thought the same thing, jetaddict. Great minds think alike...
    08-06-09 03:35 PM
    Pandora has some settings on their that you may need to change. you should be able to just have to hit the bb button but you may have to go to stations and then hit the bb button and select options
    08-06-09 03:41 PM
    Ha! I thought the same thing, jetaddict. Great minds think alike...
    Haha! No, just a play on being a "new" berry user, but I am in California ;-)

Joryoung - I'll check out the Pandora settings, thanks!
    08-06-09 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD