i'm interested in buying a tour but the pin info reads FFFFFFFF. that can't be normal. is there a way to reset it and get the pin to work? also, if the phone is unbranded and came from rim.......how do i get the pin released if it hasn't been already?
    08-11-09 12:02 AM
    No PIN number that I know of should read FFFFFFFF ... Where are you looking at buying this phone, from someone online? A friend? Please post addtl info...thx.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 12:19 AM
    from someone online. they claim it to be brand new, unlocked but the pin is not working as it is FFFFFFFF
    08-11-09 12:22 AM
    btw, i'd be meeting this person to exchange cash for the tour
    08-11-09 12:23 AM
    Idk...I can't imagine the pin being FFFFFFFF like that. Ask him for the phones ESN number, and then call the provider and have them check if its clean-otherwise I'd steer clear.

08-11-09 01:26 AM
    Btw, how much is this person asking? If it sounds too good to be true: it is!

08-11-09 01:27 AM
    Idk...I can't imagine the pin being FFFFFFFF like that. Ask him for the phones ESN number, and then call the provider and have them check if its clean-otherwise I'd steer clear.

this is an unbranded tour so no service provider should have the answer to whether or not this esn is clean. they should only be able to tell u if its on the negative file or not. if its not, then they just assume its clean.....which isn't necessarily the case with this unit.

it doesn't matter anyway, its supposed to go on a gsm network.
    08-11-09 01:50 AM
    this is an unbranded tour so no service provider should have the answer to whether or not this esn is clean. they should only be able to tell u if its on the negative file or not. if its not, then they just assume its clean.....which isn't necessarily the case with this unit.

ya i would say screw that!! i wouldnt risk it at all the pin should not be saying that at all unbranded or not.
    08-11-09 01:54 AM
    Btw, how much is this person asking? If it sounds too good to be true: it is!

$200cdn only b/c he knows that the pin isn't working.

the phone itself is mint and its blazing fast! everything else works. haven't sent any service books to it yet so i dunno about the browser or push emails.

hmmm.........i wondering if its possible to do a complete wipe of the phone and then rebooting it with the stock OS. maybe that'll bring back the pin info?
    08-11-09 02:06 AM
    $200cdn only b/c he knows that the pin isn't working.

the phone itself is mint and its blazing fast! everything else works. haven't sent any service books to it yet so i dunno about the browser or push emails.

hmmm.........i wondering if its possible to do a complete wipe of the phone and then rebooting it with the stock OS. maybe that'll bring back the pin info?
    not to sure about if that'll do it but i just wouldnt go for something like that to risky
    08-11-09 02:09 AM
    Without a valid PIN no way to get push email through BIS servers.

08-11-09 02:20 AM
    really?

damn.......

does anyone know what could've caused the pin to just say FFFFFFFF?
    08-11-09 02:23 AM
    Sounds to me like an OS issue. Either way, I'd stay away as well.

08-11-09 03:06 AM
    $200........ How much more to get a phone from a carrier/store with no headaches ?

08-11-09 05:30 AM
    Either RIM put that PIN on the unit, or someone has messed with the chip in the phone. I read a post from a guy in Indonesia where pretty much everyone has a blackberry. They have the ability and knowhow to reprogram a PIN. Its great for criminals. Someone have a nicer berry than you? Hit him on the head and take it, then program it to your PIN! Isn't the PIN listed under the battery also? I would stay away from the phone.

08-11-09 05:50 AM
    yea i would stay away from a device that doesn't have a working pin
    08-11-09 05:53 AM
    Oh I missed the part where he said it was unbranded...so hmm...an unbranded tour, with a non-working pin. I wouldn't even bother with this. Like the guy said above, without a PIN-youre going to run into issues. The PIN is not set at the OS level, so wiping the OS back to factory wil not help in this case. I don't know that there's anything you could so-and I'd pass up this offer.

08-11-09 09:44 AM
    Idk why this hasn't been done yet-but do a google search for "blackberry PIN FFFFFFFF". Looks like its not so uncommon-and there are some pretty interesting results out there.

08-11-09 09:47 AM
    It sounds like he already bought it...

But yea, you wouldn't have bbm, push email, etc..
    08-11-09 10:03 AM
    Idk why this hasn't been done yet-but do a google search for "blackberry PIN FFFFFFFF". Looks like its not so uncommon-and there are some pretty interesting results out there.

Pin FFFFF = Hardware failure..Most likely, blackberry is dead..sorry
    Thanks for all the help guys but I just spoke with RIM and they said that all FFFFFFFF's means that my BlackBerry is fried. They said that the "all f" situation only occurs when a device has been fried with too many error messages and there is nothing that can be done about it.My BlackBerry is dead .....so sad, so sad...

Although it sounds like he bought it anyway - the general consensuses is its fried. gl with that.
    08-11-09 10:05 AM
    $200........ How much more to get a phone from a carrier/store with no headaches ?

$500 more to get one without a contract. then i have to find a bell or telus client that is willing to come with me to one of their outlets and have them buy the phone on their account first. then switch back to their old unit and give me the new tour.

oh yeah, there are extra fees to switch back and forth from old to new and back to old.
    08-11-09 10:45 AM
    It sounds like he already bought it...

But yea, you wouldn't have bbm, push email, etc..
    i haven't purchased it yet. if there is a solution and somewhat of an easy fix, then i'd jump on it. looks like i'm probably gonna have to pass on it unless i can find a use for it.

maybe i can use it just for text msgs?

**edit**

looks like the phone will still work. it just can't connect to bis so there is no push email, no browser, no bbm etc...
    Last edited by fastcivic416; 08-11-09 at 11:03 AM.
    08-11-09 10:49 AM
    i haven't purchased it yet. if there is a solution and somewhat of an easy fix, then i'd jump on it. looks like i'm probably gonna have to pass on it unless i can find a use for it.

maybe i can use it just for text msgs?
    Well, the pin being screwed won't affect the text messenger as that comes from the carrier. But anything that would go through RIM would be affected.

Also the pin being screwed is from a hardware failure of some sort so the phone is still broken. Maybe you can get a warranty replacement on from RIM. Try calling them and asking.
    08-11-09 10:53 AM
    DON'T DO IT MAN!

your just asking for a load of trouble from that phone with a none working PIN... whats the point of having a blackberry if you can't even get e-mails?? get a dummy phone if you just want to send out text messages.

once again your asking for a lot of trouble with this blackberry that hes offering you without a none working PIN and is unbranded.. not a good sign at all, run as fast as u can away from it, start running right now!
    08-11-09 10:54 AM
    Just save up some bread and pay full retail of ur not eligible for upgrade. It will save u a headache in the long run trust me.

Retail is approximately $469. I know that's a bit steep but piece of mind is priceless.
    08-11-09 11:13 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD