I just got an unlocked Tour 9630 that was originally a Verizon phone (didn't do all the research I should have on getting a new phone and now I'm stuck because I can't return this one), but I have a BB data plan with AT&T. I was able to put my SIM card in the phone and receive sms text messages, but I can't even find the BBM or browser on the phone. I also tried to set up my email accounts but the only option the phone gave me is to set up email using the enterprise work option. I read on another forum that I need to download desktop manager, but does anyone have any information on which version of the software I need, or what I need to do to fix the BBM, browser or email issues? I'm totally new to dealing with all of this, as everything on my super old 8300 is relatively easy!
    01-31-11 12:31 AM
    01-31-11 12:43 AM
    I also have th exact same phone, except I use T-mobile and Ive been having difficulty just trying to get the Tour connected to the PC, and I would also like to know if I can mod it to use the Browser?
    02-04-11 07:35 PM
    I just got an unlocked Tour 9630 that was originally a Verizon phone (didn't do all the research I should have on getting a new phone and now I'm stuck because I can't return this one), but I have a BB data plan with AT&T. I was able to put my SIM card in the phone and receive sms text messages, but I can't even find the BBM or browser on the phone. I also tried to set up my email accounts but the only option the phone gave me is to set up email using the enterprise work option. I read on another forum that I need to download desktop manager, but does anyone have any information on which version of the software I need, or what I need to do to fix the BBM, browser or email issues? I'm totally new to dealing with all of this, as everything on my super old 8300 is relatively easy!
    I'm pretty sure you will never be able to make it work on AT&T because the technology is different. Verizon uses GSM and AT&T uses CDMA. Or the other way around, I always get them confused.

I know a guy who works at AT&T and I was looking at an Iphone but wanted Verizon. He said I would have to buy the phone from Verizon because the technologies aren't the same. Even unlocking won't help according to this guy.

I've read some posts where people get stuff to work doing something with the SIM card like you did but there always seems to be some sort of catch or weird work a round that doesn't always work.

But I've been wrong before. Let us know if you get it working and how you did it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 09:36 AM
    I'm pretty sure you will never be able to make it work on AT&T because the technology is different. Verizon uses GSM and AT&T uses CDMA. Or the other way around, I always get them confused.

I know a guy who works at AT&T and I was looking at an Iphone but wanted Verizon. He said I would have to buy the phone from Verizon because the technologies aren't the same. Even unlocking won't help according to this guy.

I've read some posts where people get stuff to work doing something with the SIM card like you did but there always seems to be some sort of catch or weird work a round that doesn't always work.

But I've been wrong before. Let us know if you get it working and how you did it.

Verizon uses CDMA (no SIM card) and Att uses GSM (uses SIM card). But, the 96XX and 95XX are "world phones" meaning they have both a CDMA and GSM radio in them. Which is why you find a SIM card in them. The Verizon iPhone isn't a world phone, it doesn't have a SIM card, so it's not compatible with Att.

Following the link I posted above will get all the features working. It's an instruction on getting the correct service books so everything will work on Att or Tmobile. The only thing you won't get is 3G only EDGE, but browser, BBM, and other features will all work.

02-07-11 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD