Hey guys,

I'm new to the blackberry and had a couple of questions.

#1, How can I transfer all of my contacts from Microsoft Outlook to my blackberry?

#2, Is there anyway to transfer all of my existing emails that are in Outlook now, to my blackberry?

Any Tutorials would be great.

Thanks,

Ryan
    12-10-09 12:40 PM
    If you get the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, there's an option to synchronize your device with Outlook to get your contacts. Once you get that installed, choose the Synchronize button and on the left hand side of that program choose Synchronization under Configure to tell it what parts you'd like to Sync. From there choose Address book and press the Setup button. That will give you the option of where to obtain the data from, choose Outlook. After that you will have to tell which direction you want the sync to go through. If your device is empty choose the last one, which should be Outlook TO device. Check off the replace data option and press OK. Go to Advanced to choose what parts of the Address book, etc. When you're ready, go back to the first window and choose Synchronize to start it.

As for existing e-mail, there's no clean way to do it. The only way I know if is if your e-mail server supports IMAP...
    12-10-09 01:10 PM
    Forwarding existing email to yourself is one way to get it back in the inbox. I've done that a few times when recovering from a mail crash.
    12-10-09 03:14 PM
    If you get the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, there's an option to synchronize your device with Outlook to get your contacts. Once you get that installed, choose the Synchronize button and on the left hand side of that program choose Synchronization under Configure to tell it what parts you'd like to Sync. From there choose Address book and press the Setup button. That will give you the option of where to obtain the data from, choose Outlook. After that you will have to tell which direction you want the sync to go through. If your device is empty choose the last one, which should be Outlook TO device. Check off the replace data option and press OK. Go to Advanced to choose what parts of the Address book, etc. When you're ready, go back to the first window and choose Synchronize to start it.

As for existing e-mail, there's no clean way to do it. The only way I know if is if your e-mail server supports IMAP...
    Question about the Synchronizing process. When I got the phone, My local Verizon guy transferred the numbers from my old phone. For some reason, the Verizon IT person and I could not figure out the Outlook contacts transfer. We tried transferring the contacts from outlook to the blackberry via synchronizing and all all of the email contacts did not transfer over.

Any idea's?

Forwarding existing email to yourself is one way to get it back in the inbox. I've done that a few times when recovering from a mail crash.

That's what I was thinking, Verizon told me there was no possible way to do it.
    12-11-09 10:50 AM
    If you are running Outlook and DM on a PC, the default settings are already correct and sync should be automatic. What happened when you tried?
    12-11-09 12:06 PM
    If you are running Outlook and DM on a PC, the default settings are already correct and sync should be automatic. What happened when you tried?
    The DM said everything synched. When I disconnected the phone, only some email address were added to my contacts. Not all of the email contacts tranferred over. I repeated the process several times, getting the same result.

Am I making any sense? I really appreciate your help Jeff.
    12-11-09 01:18 PM
    Did you check the synch settings to make sure it was a 2-way synch and not a 1 way? You could use the DM to clear your contact list and try it again.
    12-11-09 01:46 PM
    You may want to try doing a one way sync instead of a two way sync to see if we can narrow down what's going on. I'd go with sync'ing from your device to Outlook first to see if whatever's on the device gets transferred over to Outlook. If that works good, then try sync'ing the other way from Outlook to your device.
    12-11-09 01:49 PM
    The DM said everything synched. When I disconnected the phone, only some email address were added to my contacts. Not all of the email contacts tranferred over. I repeated the process several times, getting the same result.

Am I making any sense? I really appreciate your help Jeff.
    The suggestions in the posts above this one are worth trying. Also, check to see if you may have inadvertently filtered your contacts. If you have, they may be synched and you just can't see them. In the Address Book, press Menu, select Filters, and see if any boxes are checked. If any are checked, clear them and the remainder of your contacts will likely appear.
    12-11-09 02:24 PM
    Are you sure? I feel like I always have to configure DM to sync with outlook (which profile and how, etc) every time I re-install DM or use a new PC.
    12-11-09 02:29 PM
    Are you sure? I feel like I always have to configure DM to sync with outlook (which profile and how, etc) every time I re-install DM or use a new PC.
    That's a good observation, and one I'd overlooked. Maybe it'll help the OP. Thanks.
    12-11-09 02:32 PM
    I know what you are talking about SymmetryProsthetics as I have a similar problem. Some never move from Outlook to my device. Then today, I have something different happen.

My company recently changed our email address. I had several colleagues in my Outlook address book as well as my Bold (I am not on BES). I go in to Outlook and change their address. When I sync, the email address in Outlook stays correct (for instance, john.wall@ukbb. com), but it changes everyone of their email addresses on my Bold to something like this: [email protected]. com

Sync again, it's still correct in Outlook and wrong on the Bold. I set up the address book again on DM and tried it doing the one way sync from Outlook to the device. Still the same. So I delete all of their names from the address book on the device, and double check Outlook to make sure they are all correct. Went through the set up in DM again, put it on one way sync from Outlook to device, sync, and they all show up on the device wrong once again. It's driving me crazy!
    I finally went in tonight on my device and manually changed every email address.
    I will sync at the office tomorrow and see what happens.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here??
    12-21-09 10:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD