can someone please help me decide which BB tour to get. my friend has VZW tour and he loves it. but i have seen features for sprint tour and they look better plus i heard 4G will be available in october for sprint. So can someone please help me decide and do say its based on your area. I need an overall justification. PLEASE!
    09-04-09 09:46 AM
    4G will be available, but not to smartphones. It only applies to Broadband Cards for now.
    09-04-09 09:52 AM
    I have the tour for Sprint and I love it. With sprint getting 4g, I'm pretty sure this won't effect tour users because I'm sure you would have to upgrade to a new phone that supports 4g. But really its all your preference. Sprint is has cheaper plans and I love the Sprint features. IMO I say go for sprint but its your preference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 09:52 AM
    can someone please help me decide which BB tour to get. my friend has VZW tour and he loves it. but i have seen features for sprint tour and they look better plus i heard 4G will be available in october for sprint. So can someone please help me decide and do say its based on your area. I need an overall justification. PLEASE!
    i had the sprint tour for 3 weeks and sprints network was fine never had a single problem with them. i just switched to verizon 4 dayz ago and also have the tour. the few differences ive seen network wise is Sprints data is quicker but i get more bars of singnal with vzw. but i wouldve stayed with sprint only reason i switched is because i travel to see my father in the middle of nowhere and was scared i wouldnt get good coverage. in terms of 4G i dont think it should affect either company right now since there wont be a BB that will be 4G capable for while.

so i would say what do you need more, speed and pricing? (Sprint) or coverage and and customer service? (VZW) Vzw isnt "slow" fyi just saying that from my experience i found Sprints data was quicker in up and downloads.
    Last edited by hoho; 09-04-09 at 09:57 AM.
    09-04-09 09:55 AM
    This is an easy choice...First off, 4G will not effect the Tour.

Verizon wireless consistently, year in and year out, gets the #1 rating by all major consumer reports for phone service and customer service.

Jd Power and Associates rates Sprint/Nextel as a 2 out of 5 for customer satisfaction as of August of 2009.

Obviously, it all comes down to where YOU live. <---- (please read this line before you start flaming) However, on a nationwide scale Verizon KILLS Spint. My family is spread across the country and I have heard nothing but complaints from my family members with Sprint. Yes Verizon is a bit more expensive. Yes people complain about the costs. When it comes down to it though these people still pay for it. Wonder why?
    09-04-09 10:15 AM
    I am not sure where people are travelling to get bad service with Sprint. I do road and business trips throughout the the USA...drove with my hubby on a 3 week road trip from Cali to Georgia and 2 week road trip from Cali to Michigan and recently went to a seminar in Philly my Sprint phone coverage was excellent.

OP even as Verizon employee I never thought Verizon coverage was so superior, I listened to call center interactions for coaching and development, people called in with network issues and dropped calls. Maybe these people didnt vote negatively BECAUSE Verizon was always very accomodating when it came to drop call credits.

I say try it for yourself and if it doesnt work for you...move to the other carrier.
    Last edited by MsRandall; 09-04-09 at 10:43 AM.
    09-04-09 10:39 AM
    I suggest you give Sprint a try first and see if it works for you. I have been with Sprint for over 9 years and have been very happy with the coverage and customer service. I have also traveled quite a bit but mostly to large metro areas. Keep in mind that Sprint roams on VZW when necessary. I did try VZW a couple years ago and there was a big difference...about $100 per month more for no difference in service.

I wouldn't worry about what JD Powers says as they seem to have so many surveys that everyone is best at something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 10:40 AM
    As everyone else stated, the choice is really dependent on where you live. Which company gives you better coverage?

Personally, Sprint provides me with better coverage. I've never had a dropped call and IF I ever had to call CS with an issue I never had a problem with them. They were always nice and efficient when handling my problem. Sprint did have some issues with CS in the past, but it seems like that's being taken care of. Some of my friends/family have Verizon and sometimes I get service where they don't, but it's different for everyone.

Once again, without taking pricing into the equation, pick the company that works best in your area. I see that you have the Storm already so try Sprint out for 30 days to see if you like them or not.
    09-04-09 10:53 AM
    I too am stuck in this dilemma.

I have a Tour on Sprint, been a Sprint customer since 2000 (well, first Nextel, then moved to Sprint, so my date carried over).

Everyone I know has VZW and raves about how good its network is, call clarity, customer service, blah blah blah.. So I went and activated a VZW Tour and am carrying both devices right now to compare their networks. I really don't see a difference here in the Philadelphia region. I do get more bars on the VZW Tour than the Sprint Tour, but that's probably to be expected. I've called people on the VZW then Sprint units and they can't tell the difference.

The VZW bill would be about $20 more a month over Sprint. Question is, to me, is it worth the extra $20/mo or so to be one of "those guys" with VZW?

I just don't know.
    09-04-09 11:54 AM
    I too am stuck in this dilemma.

I have a Tour on Sprint, been a Sprint customer since 2000 (well, first Nextel, then moved to Sprint, so my date carried over).

Everyone I know has VZW and raves about how good its network is, call clarity, customer service, blah blah blah.. So I went and activated a VZW Tour and am carrying both devices right now to compare their networks. I really don't see a difference here in the Philadelphia region. I do get more bars on the VZW Tour than the Sprint Tour, but that's probably to be expected. I've called people on the VZW then Sprint units and they can't tell the difference.

The VZW bill would be about $20 more a month over Sprint. Question is, to me, is it worth the extra $20/mo or so to be one of "those guys" with VZW?

I just don't know.
    If everything is pretty much the same (in terms of service) then I wouldn't see the point to switch.
    09-04-09 12:10 PM
    people can beat the sprint vs verizon thing to death. i went with verizon and im glad because the battery door on the sprint one is all shiny, yuk.

its up to you.

oh and dont even get me started on the "sprint roams on verizon" thing. if you have 1 sprint bar you will not connect to verizon...
    09-04-09 12:34 PM
    The choice is simple. If you get good Sprint service in your area, go with Sprint.

I can't think of a good reason to justify spending the extra money for Verizon. The savings over a 2-year contract period are $720
    09-04-09 01:58 PM
    I used to have the storm I am such a phone addict its quiet ridiculous! I need help lol. My friend has the VZW tour and I have been comparing it to sprints network against my palm pre and they are almost neck and neck. I just travel to PA alot and I know VZW works great in PA especially the areas I go. I have been a sprint customer since 2001 and can not seem to shake them. Yes CS is horrible but overall they are like my 1st love...can't let them go. So IDK and yes money is not the issue I just want to know which is overall the best one to get. So I might go check out the sprint Tour today. Any other suggestions please leave a comment. Thanks to you all
    09-06-09 10:50 AM
    somewhat offtopic..but all of Verizon's customer service is USA based, whereas Sprint will defer you to a offshore, outside of the US customer service (the Philippines) if needed. Just food for thought-
    09-06-09 11:49 AM
    I have been with every major (and even many minor) cell providers and am almost sick with how much trouble I put up with to save a few $. I started with voicestream, it became T-mobile, then went to Cingular, then Sprint, and back to T-mobile, then Cricket, Att, boost, T-mobile one last time, finally Verizon. I travel all over the USA and have for years, and I would jump carriers all the time because they never worked when I needed them. 1-2 years and I was done... Some I even paid to cancel. I have been coast to coast more times than I can count and will NEVER drop Verizon. The extra $ is WELL worth it. They may not have a clear of calls as t-mobile, The iphone, or some other perks of different carriers but they work in more places period. You may never travel and find that in your area there is a better provider, if so go with them. If you don't get verizon in your house or at work then go with someone else, but dollar for dollar for MOST people won't go wrong with verizon. I live and often work in celluar black holes. I bought a cellphone signal booster and had to leave my phone by my bedroom window to even get a call with every carrier but tmobile. Verizon I have full bars, and I have full bars in more places nation wide. I can ALWAYS count on making a call with Verizon, and there are a few places I haven't been able to... but they are few and far between. I no longer have to check if I have sercive before I make a call... and afterall isn't that what we pay for? I can skip eating out one day a month to make up the difference in price.
    09-06-09 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD