I noticed on the comparison page, under Media Player, video formats supported are listed as "MPEG4 H.263, MPEG4 Part 2 Simple Profile, H.264, WMV", which is the same as the Storm.

However, the Curve 8900 lists "DivX, XviD (MPEG4 Advance Simple Profile), H.263, WMV3" and, interestingly, the Bold claims partial support for DivX/XviD.

So I'm wondering, does the Storm (and thus the Tour) support DivX files natively? If not, am I going to have to convert all my video files, or is there a player and/or codec that's available to add the support?
    06-16-09 03:23 PM
    The tour will probably support the same formats as all of the other berries on that page. That means yes, it will support divx.
    06-16-09 04:41 PM
    blackberry's seem to have major issues with supporting videos..

no offense I love my blackberry's but the heck if all those formats work all the time I will tell you that much.
    06-16-09 04:46 PM
    noaim, so how does your Storm handle DivX files with the native media player?
    06-16-09 04:48 PM
    I have found youtube videos work fine, but I was not able to play an mp4 on my 8830 with OS 4.5. So I completely believe you.
    06-16-09 04:49 PM
    I have found youtube videos work fine, but I was not able to play an mp4 on my 8830 with OS 4.5. So I completely believe you.
    For the record, I didn't try to investigate the issue any further or convert or resize the video.
    06-16-09 06:24 PM
    The tour handles Divx.. I believe that the issue I had on both the tour and storm were due to the source material.. Seems that Blu-Ray Divx rips may cause issues but files of smaller size work fine.
    06-16-09 09:14 PM
    noaim, so how does your Storm handle DivX files with the native media player?

to be honest I have used many video converters and sometimes videos work and sometimes they don't...

never know why...

I don't watch many videos so it wasn't a big deal to me at all.. but I have tried converting it to everything
    06-16-09 10:48 PM
    Hm.. so converting the video is a must? I have several TV shows and movies that come in the standard XviD format... I was hoping to just throw these onto a microSD card and play them on the Tour. Why would the Curve 8900 have this support built into the OS/media player, but not the newer Tour?
    06-17-09 06:06 PM
    Hm.. so converting the video is a must? I have several TV shows and movies that come in the standard XviD format... I was hoping to just throw these onto a microSD card and play them on the Tour. Why would the Curve 8900 have this support built into the OS/media player, but not the newer Tour?
    Well... I think most here are saying the same support will be there, the question is just how well it works. And that question applies not just to the Tour, but to all 'berries, including the 8900.

In my mind, media is a place where RIM is lacking. In my view, there are 3 main areas for smartphones. 1) Communication (Phone, Text, E-mail) 2) Internet 3) Media.

To me, RIM excels at #1, is pretty good at #2, and is pretty bad at #3. The iPhone is the obvious example of a phone that provides a better media experience than the BlackBerry but there are plenty of others.
    06-17-09 08:44 PM
    Does anybody know if there will be flash support in the OS this berry is using or the new 5.0.
    06-17-09 09:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD