My wifes Evo 4g is coming today.

Im scared. I love blackberry so much. Love bbm (she is my main contact that I message) Love A lot of things about BB.

Im getting tired of the tour. its working ok FINALLY. And is suffices for what i need most of the time. However. I want to upgrade. The new Bold for vzw looks awesome. But really. wasting and upgrade for the "sport" version of the tour? Not worth it.

The Evos specs alone destroy anything bb has out there. I have always raved about bbs and how awesome they are. And have even been ok with other phones being "ahead of the curve" (pun intended) lol.

I want to stay with bb. But is there any hope? I can bash an Iphone all day. But really. I feel almost silly to upgrade to literally HALF of the phone (bbs to Evo ect..) thats out there now. sigh.

Anyone know of a bbm like app to help save me from the driods?
    07-29-10 08:31 AM
    Go in with her and get an Evo! I moved from the Tour to the Droid only a few months ago and haven't regretted it one bit. If you want a phone that has the image of IBM as big blue back in the 80's, stick with the BB and only do messaging on it - and slowly. The android based phones offer much more flexability, more capability, so much more speed you'll be shocked and are just all around solid phones that work well and just crush the Blackberry. I was a complete blackberry fan boy and I thought it was the best thing out there until I tested myself and tried something else. I'm not flaming for one or the other, but based on personal experience the blackberry is an excellent messaging phone (email, txt, bbm), but it is lacking SO greatly in every other area it really isn't funny and to me it really debilitates the device. I don't ever see the BB being as fast as nearly any android based phone ...

For a BBM like app you can check out google chat if its available for the BB ... but do like her, be smart and get an android based phone - you really won't regret it ... you're going to be jealous when she starts seeing all she can do on your phone and you'll start seeing all you can't do with your BB
    07-29-10 09:56 AM
    Try MSN. Its free and cross platform with multi-apps compatibility.
    07-29-10 10:17 AM
    That phone is waaaaay to big. You might as well walk around with a tablet.
    07-29-10 10:31 AM
    Take a look at the Motorola Droid X: 4.3 inch screen and that's big. If you want to watch videos/movies, etc. on them than that's fine. The Storm2(Want the refresh for OS6, but forced to Bold for Tour replacement) screen size seems just about a good size for now, maybe in a few years when 4g rolls around, the size may work.

DJ
    07-29-10 10:47 AM
    Kik is a good alternative that me and my girlfriend use.

Pingchat! is another option.

GTalk.

MSN.

etc, there's many options.
    07-29-10 03:07 PM
    I've seen smaller VCRs
    07-29-10 03:27 PM
    Is the way to go.
    Last edited by 4 Star General; 07-29-10 at 03:45 PM.
    07-29-10 03:41 PM
    Is the way to go.
    Way to go for what?
    07-29-10 03:50 PM
    Way to go for what?
    The title of his post is stating the epic 4g "is the way to go"
    07-29-10 03:54 PM
    I also like the idea of the Epic 4G, but I will definitely compare it to my wife's Evo.

If its like the other Galaxy phones, there's no flash for the camera, which is kind of a let down.

I hope Samsung will be fast on the updates and I hope its easy to root and unlock so we can dump TouchWiz.

I'm eligible for an upgrade 9/1, so I'll be reading all the reviews I can.

I like the idea of Super AMOLED over LCD and the Hummingbird processor over the Snapdragon.
    07-29-10 10:06 PM
    I also like the idea of the Epic 4G, but I will definitely compare it to my wife's Evo.

If its like the other Galaxy phones, there's no flash for the camera, which is kind of a let down.

I hope Samsung will be fast on the updates and I hope its easy to root and unlock so we can dump TouchWiz.

I like the idea of Super AMOLED over LCD and the Hummingbird processor over the Snapdragon.
    The Sprint version of the Galaxy, is the only one with a flash and qwerty.
    07-30-10 06:35 AM

As others have said, just use gTalk instead of BBM to communicate with her if you're staying BB. If not, check out this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/sp...yboard-483520/
    07-30-10 08:51 AM
    I know Berry users that have jumped to Droid and stayed, some who have jumped back because while its a great device it just doesn't meet their needs. So take advantage that you can use an EVO without actually buying it yourself.

AND BE SURE REPORT BACK
    07-30-10 09:44 AM
    Thank you to all my fellow Crackberry peeps!

I will be sure to report back (turns out they gave us the wrong date for it to arrive. It should be in next week) (upset its been out for a month and half and still on back order)

Right now I am looking forward to getting her tour for the battery and accessories :-) and Blackberry Beta Zone is keeping me occupied for now.

Thanks again to all.
    07-30-10 11:18 PM
    I have a BB for work (didn't cost me anything) and its a rock when it comes to corporate email. But that's about it.

My wife has an Android based phone and it pretty much stomps my BB in everything - speed, memory, screen, apps, browsing speed, etc.

As soon as I can upgrade, I am going droid. BB is good for email, but pretty much sucks for anything else compared to the newer smart phones.

I am really hoping someone will make an Android based mp3 player that's a direct competitor to the Ipod Touch.
    07-31-10 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD