First I want to say thanks to all here for the great information I have been able to learn on this site. I have learned much in the last week.

I was a Palm Centro user for about a year and 1/2 on Verizon. Prior to that I had a Razr. The Centro was a major upgrade from the Razr and my first entry into a "smart phone."

I was up for my 2yr upgrade in January with Verizon but was able to upgrade early and get $50 off now. I went into the store with the wife, (she was using a env2) I was secretly planing on a upgrade. I instantly fell in love with the fit and form of the tour. I wanted a "smarter" phone with a larger screen and more options. I was able to get out with 2 Tours for $100 with the rebate and discount. plus I found out my employer was a preferred vendor so I received a 8% discount on the main plan and the main data package. This allowed me to add a data plan to the wife's phone for like an extra $10 a month.

The Centro was a touch screen witch was nice but I found myself using keyboard shortcuts more often then not. My mother uses a storm and banters about battery pulls and slow response. I didn't want a full screen touch phone, just a personal preference. The full keyboard was required and the Tour's is larger then the Certro's witch is a major plus.

I love the ability to download apps. This could be done on the Centro and I had a nice variety I collected over the time I had that phone. One major complaint on the Tour, RIM, are you reading this. I can't believe the inability to store apps on the sd card, My unimportant opinion is RIM is majorly dropping the ball on this one. If you could save valuable memory space by storing applications on the sd card instead of the phone, what is the holdup. Don't say it cant be done, grab a Palm Centro and try it. It works good, You could load the sd card in the computer and transfer apps to the carsd, reinstall in the phone and done, apps installed.

While I am venting, The only other major gripe I have on the tour is the lack of threaded sms. RIM, are you reading this.If you have never used threaded sms, (see Palm Centro) you want it. End of story. I find myself using yahoo messenger to go back and forth with my wife, none of my friends have a Blackberry so BBM is out. None the less I am waiting patiently for the update to see if RIM can nail this one. Honestly I can't believe it took this long.

Another thing that is great, I was out last night at a bonfire and a pal was playing music on his original env. After he drained his battery witch he says will play for like 6-8 hours, I pulled out my Tour and played through Johnny Cash greatest hits, It sounded great and actually got several compliments on the quality. I am impressed, it is way better then the Centro.

Another thing I am ever happy with is the GPS. I have done a couple of boating journeys and some hiking with the phone and it is very nice to be able to tell where I am. It is also neat to log things like distance and speed related info.

--Note on battery life. The first week or too I used my Tour non stop. I only killed the battery once. That was while on a 400 mile road trip and I had the phone linked to the loaners blue tooth (2009 Mercedes C300) sound quality aside it was neat to talk hands free and upload my contacts to the car. I found that to clear up the "muffled" response I had to talk forcefully. Back to the battery.. I charge up my phone every night and find that it makes it to the end of the day, sometimes with only 5% remaining, but it makes it. My wife uses her Tour for a phone and like 20 sms or yahoos a day. No web. Her Tour will go like 3 days on a charge.

That's all I have for now. If you made it to the end, thanks. I am looking forward to gaining more knowledge from this forum. I can't wait to start upgrading software. I will probably start that soon. Have a good day.

On a final note, I can't believe I waited this long to get a RIM device and I will probably never look back.

AdamT.
    09-20-09 04:14 PM
    I love the ability to download apps. This could be done on the Centro and I had a nice variety I collected over the time I had that phone. One major complaint on the Tour, RIM, are you reading this. I can't believe the inability to store apps on the sd card, My unimportant opinion is RIM is majorly dropping the ball on this one. If you could save valuable memory space by storing applications on the sd card instead of the phone, what is the holdup. Don't say it cant be done, grab a Palm Centro and try it. It works good, You could load the sd card in the computer and transfer apps to the carsd, reinstall in the phone and done, apps installed.

While I am venting, The only other major gripe I have on the tour is the lack of threaded sms. RIM, are you reading this.If you have never used threaded sms, (see Palm Centro) you want it. End of story. I find myself using yahoo messenger to go back and forth with my wife, none of my friends have a Blackberry so BBM is out. None the less I am waiting patiently for the update to see if RIM can nail this one. Honestly I can't believe it took this long.

AdamT.
    welcome to crackberry.

You CAN store apps on your SD card... theres an app for that.

There is Threaded SMS on the 5.0 OS's... or u can buy the app for now that does that
    09-20-09 04:17 PM
    Welcome about!

It's true that if you go blackberry there is no turning back. As far as the sd card-app storage idea(I mean native support without 3rd party)...I think its more of a security issue.
    09-20-09 04:22 PM
    First I want to say thanks to all here for the great information I have been able to learn on this site. I have learned much in the last week.

snip...
    With respect to the quality of the bluetooth another CB poster recommending this. Open up the BT properties for the device and set the encryption to none and echo control to on.
    09-20-09 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD