I just upgraded from the Pearl to the Tour yesterday. The Verizon rep moved all of my contacts to the Tour.

I want to sync the Tour with my Outlook calendar. When I connect the Tour, and then try to configure the sync, I get this message:

The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again.

I get that same message when I just try to sync without doing the configuration first.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help!
    08-01-09 09:34 AM
    Silly question, but is your computer connected to the internet?
    08-01-09 09:39 AM
    Not a silly question

I actually had crackberry.com open behind DM. So yes, I'm online, but DM says I'm not.
    08-01-09 09:43 AM
    If your using a company computer, make sure your antivirus, firewalls, etc are turned off. Also if your on a wifi connection, that could also be the problem.

Also check the version. Are you running 4.7 or 5.0? Idk, but these versions seem to work better than the older versions have in the past. Also make sure you can physically log into Outlook and you see all the 4 folders listed on the left, such as contacts, calendar, tasks, etc.

If your using Outlook Express, that wont work. Must use MS Outlook 2003 or highier I believe.
    08-01-09 09:45 AM
    If your using a company computer, make sure your antivirus, firewalls, etc are turned off. Also if your on a wifi connection, that could also be the problem.
    I have wireless internet on one of my computers and I don't have a DM issue. Are you using DM 5.0? I had issue with using the old one with Tour, I upgraded and no issues.
    08-01-09 09:47 AM
    I'm using my laptop at home. All of my antivirus, firewalls, etc., are set exactly the same way they've always been, and I never had a problem before.

I'm running DM version 4.7. I thought that I read in another thread that 5.0 is on the disc that came with the phone. But when I put the disc in, it doesn't run.

Should I just find DM 5.0 and download it?
    08-01-09 09:52 AM
    Yup, I would. You can download it directly from the BB website.
    08-01-09 09:52 AM
    I'll try that now. Thanks!
    08-01-09 09:53 AM
    You're welcome! Hope it works...
    08-01-09 09:54 AM
    I just upgraded from the Pearl to the Tour yesterday. The Verizon rep moved all of my contacts to the Tour.

I want to sync the Tour with my Outlook calendar. When I connect the Tour, and then try to configure the sync, I get this message:

The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again.

I get that same message when I just try to sync without doing the configuration first.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help!
    I sympathize and let me give you the real scoop... I get the same exact thing using DM 5.0 that came with my tour. I called VZW Tech Support and just simply asked them to connect me to RIm support using their Carrier Code so I would not have to pay for Rims rediculous $39.95 fee for support.
    After getting to Level 1 support and all the way up tp Level 3 support I was told after a secured remote session with them to see my desktop and what I was going through they told me to delete and uninstall 5.0 and download 4.2 SP2 because that version does not need an internet connection where everything from 4.5 on up does.

Problem: anytime you open DM it is going to look for an update for Dm and you will have to deny installing it.

My Solution: I don't mind putting any calender events,contacts or tasks manually into my tour because it allows me to hone my typing skills and has made me a faster and better typer to input into my new BB.

Good luck but that is straight from RIM!!
    08-01-09 07:13 PM
    Turns out Doctorwho281 was right. I tried turning off my firewall, and then it worked perfectly.
    08-02-09 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD