Downloaded 230 this evening. Hooked up the phone and done within about an hour. Phone works great so far. Browser is much faster and the threaded sms is pretty cool.
    11-13-09 11:15 PM
    i almost upgraded tonite reading these success posts..!O!

going to sleep now, ill think about it some more tomorrow...!O!

might wait for a newer leak???
    11-14-09 12:10 AM
    i almost upgraded tonite reading these success posts..!O!

going to sleep now, ill think about it some more tomorrow...!O!

might wait for a newer leak???
    you should do it.. i too was hesitant at first.. even made a whole thread with poll asking if i should do it or not..

lemme tell you its worth it.. and it was really easy for me too..

i backed up my apps using bbsak (but didnt need to since they all xferred over)
    downloaded and ran the os 5.0 installer
    opened DM
    DM installed it.. and after about 30 or so minutes.. it was done!

i have not ran into a problem yet other than sometimes when i reboot my phone, my existing SMS that ive kept in my inbox would xfer over to my conversation list in bbm
    11-14-09 07:22 AM
    Is it a must to remove the vendor file from app loader..?

Should I remove my microSD before upgrading..?

If I want to back to go sprint stock OS 4.7 for instore tech issues, is it the same process..?

Is it true that the home screen is totally transparent (top of screen & icon row)..?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-09 09:02 AM
    One more tip: make sure your Blackberry is NOT password protected when you load OS 5.0. When I tried the first time, I got lots of reboots. Had to reload 4.7. After I disabled the password, no problem.

Less than a week ago, my wife got her new Tour to replace a probem Curve. I set it up for her. Working with it for just a few minutes, I got irritated and replaced the OEM OS 4.7 with 5.0.0.230. She'll never know how much better 5 is because she's never dealt with 4.7.

I won't go back to 4.7.
    11-14-09 11:56 AM
    I think I might have to upgrade as well.

11-14-09 01:26 PM
    I am glad to have helped sway a few people to moving towards 5.0.

Been running it, memory is stable, still snappy!! Upgraded my dad's and sister's phone while I was at it. I just can't ever imagine going back to 4.7...

Truth is, I don't use any of the media functions, so those shortcomings don't bother me. I listen to music on my ipod.

Btw, with my sister's, I just loaded 5 without wiping, and it works just as well on hers.

My mistake though: Beyond 160 does not work, but quicktext does. I can live without beyond just to have this OS.

I did not reload Berry Weather because its just a polished turd - beautiful gui, but its like memory diarrhea. I hope to find another weather app that isn't a memory hog.

I can't wait to design a custom theme

11-14-09 03:06 PM
    Thanks "pbsd" for writing this thread. You gave me the push I needed to try 5.0.0.230 out for myself. I did the install last night and it went smooth as silk. I lost BB messenger for a while but a quick search on the forum lead me to a link to download it. I'm loving 5.0 so far, the threaded text is awesome and another thing I liked was the built in vibrate AND ring feature. I had the vib&ring app but it didn't work as well. Also I downloaded a theme a few minutes ago and it gave me the option to use it right then without having to go to the option menu and turn it on. Ba Dop Bop Ba Dah, I'm lovin it!

Last edited by whiplush; 11-14-09 at 05:50 PM.
    11-14-09 04:20 PM
    One more tip: make sure your Blackberry is NOT password protected when you load OS 5.0. When I tried the first time, I got lots of reboots. Had to reload 4.7. After I disabled the password, no problem.
    I disabled encryption and was going to disable password but it was greyed out. Have to reset some security policy to be able to do it. However, I went ahead and updated to .230 last week anyway and it updated in 22 minutes (I kept track). I backed up through DM before I started. Installed the OS, opened DM and loaded it that way. Piece of cake. No random reboots so far. Only weirdness noticed last night was that it started playing a ring tone when email arrived (not set to). Then this morning the led was flashing & I couldn't find a reason for it. (I have Berry Buzz installed.) Alt-right shift-del and it's back to normal again. Love that it now boots in 3 mins instead of 7 or 8!
    11-14-09 05:09 PM
    well been using 5.0.230 for little over a day now... not bad at all.. the music mute is annoying, but bearable.. the texting bug kinda irks me.. but everything else is awesome.. display looks better to me, and its definitely much more fluid in usage.
    all my apps seem to work great, including GPS based apps.

cheers
    11-15-09 05:07 AM
    just finally upgraded this morning...!O!

everything seem greats i like it...!!

thx OP
    11-15-09 03:26 PM
    I did mines yesterday and everything works great.
    11-15-09 05:10 PM
    So having had a stiff Drink- I installed .230, deleted the the Vendor xml File and disabled the Password security- and ran DM- it sees 4.7 and 5.0.230- I click on the 5.o to install and it says "only active blackberry service subscribers are entitled to install this Blackberry device software upgrade"

I'm a verizon customer- any ideas ?
    11-15-09 06:08 PM
    Make sure your wifi is off, and delete 4.7 from your harddrive (uninstall). That way, it only sees 5.0 as the only viable upgrade option. Being disconnected from the net won't allow desktop manager to contact bb servers.

You try that?

11-15-09 06:53 PM
    5.0.0.230 has been great so far. My internet has been running a little slower than normal though. My history is cleared and my browser cache is clean. Any other suggestions.
    11-15-09 07:36 PM
    Make sure your wifi is off, and delete 4.7 from your harddrive (uninstall). That way, it only sees 5.0 as the only viable upgrade option. Being disconnected from the net won't allow desktop manager to contact bb servers.

You try that?

No I didn't see any instructions to do that- BUT- I used Apploader instead of DM and it all worked perfectly-turned off the password security and deleted vendor.xml - backed up everything and restored everything except Dataviz app, the BB App and of course I had to re-reg many apps- but all in all smooth like everyone else is reporting. My email accts were there and all data- so so far - its happy ! and so am I- thank you for the response and guidance though- the crackberry community is great- and I'm happy to be a member

11-15-09 07:57 PM
    I also took the plunge....loaded 230, pretty smooth for the day or two it's been in. Had to "re-init" Twitterberry and a few others, also reload BBM 5.0 and BB App, but that was easy. The threaded SMS seems good, the way the dates and such "roll" when changing is a nice look in Tasks. Thanks for the encouragement to move ahead...now where is the official release???
    11-16-09 02:21 PM
    Good one pbsd.
    11-16-09 03:13 PM
    I have 4.7.1.57 ... do I need to download and run BBSAK to clear the phone, or can I just install .230 right on top?

Thanks guys
    11-16-09 03:26 PM
    Sooooo...yesterday, after waiting about 9 minutes for my phone to start and then another 20 seconds for my phone to unlock from the lock screen I decided to take the plunge.
    9 Minutes? I just timed mine twice and it took 4 min 40 sec the first time and 4 min 20 sec the second time. I have 5 or 6 aps on my phone like flashlight and a couple of games. My guess is there was something wrong with your old OS because it should not take anywhere near 9 mins to boot after a battery pull.

That said, I hope 5 solves your issues. I am the type to wait for an official release but I am waiting with baited breath.
    11-16-09 03:49 PM
    Disabling memory cleaner usually increases the boot time quite a bit.
    11-16-09 04:10 PM
    5.0.0.230 has been great so far. My internet has been running a little slower than normal though. My history is cleared and my browser cache is clean. Any other suggestions.
    I was having the same problem and now mine will not even load anyone got any hints to help?
    11-16-09 05:22 PM
    Try loading one of the hybrid OSes.
    11-16-09 05:24 PM
    I'm gonna watch this thread and wait(?). I'm still a little chicken, this is my first BB (tour), and I'm still learning (and lovin) it, but I can see it won't be long. What the **** is wrong with RIM, why won't they step up and do the official thing? Oh, thanks for all the great info.
    Just like you, this is my 1st bb and I am also loving the thing! So ill wait for an official release as well. Many nightmares with my previous phone and ROM issues as well have made me weary.

11-16-09 07:50 PM
    Well I took the plunge. Load went good. The noticed that BBM was missing along with other apps. Tried to load Crackberry and it took a long time to connect. Actually about 30mins of trying. Finally got that working and mannaged to download App World. Now it won't connect to App world so I can reload BBM. Also will not connect to Facebook.

Think I got no other choice but to revert to 4.7. Any hints anyone???
    11-16-09 07:54 PM
111 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD