Hey CBheads!!

Ok, so normally I'm not a big poster on here, just a lurker, but I thought I'd share my experience in case anyone wanted to "Search" and maybe my opinion would help sway them.

I have been extremely hesitant about upgrading to something unofficial like 5.0.0.230, and then all this talk about hybrids and beta and yiiiiikes!!! STOP. HOLD THE PHONE. Whaaaa???

You see, I came from the Storm1 to the Tour the DAY the Tour came out. I had the Storm 1 from day 1 and it was a NIGHTMARE. Always searching for an upgrade, for the next "leak" for the next beta, for the next anything...just so when I got a text message, my phone actually made a sound. Or just so when I turned the phone on its side, it actually rotated the screen within a 25 second time span. So upgrading a "working" Tour didn't seem like waters I wanted to swim in. I figured "I'll just wait for the official"

But, on 4.7, my phone was hemorrhaging memory. I'd start out with 85mb and in a day it would plummet down to ~39mb. I am not an avid gamer or music listener with my BB, I use the crappy browser, BBM, the camera, and some texting. I didn't even dare venture into Poynt or any of that jazz. I only know BB's for just bogging down when installing software, and there's no explanations or consistency across the board with other users, you'll always hear half a story from someone (even me, ha!) but there's never a culprit to the issues.

Sooooo...yesterday, after waiting about 9 minutes for my phone to start and then another 20 seconds for my phone to unlock from the lock screen I decided to take the plunge.

Man, am I happy I did! I'll admit, I ran into a few issues - it's no easy task because again, issues arise and there isn't one central place where you can find an answer - the forum search wasn't working for me, but what I found out was that using VMWare on a Mac only got me so far - after it loaded the JVM onto the phone (or uploaded the ram image) the software couldn't detect the phone, so it didn't go through. I used another PC laptop and everything worked flawless.

I did a full wipe using JL_Cmdr and loaded 5.0.0.230. I even backed up my APPS with BBSAK, but truth be told, it wouldn't load them back properly, it just backed them up, so I decided to just redownload my apps anyhow - it's a fresh start!

OS5, though not "groundbreaking" is a MUCH improved version of the OS. I wish OS5 would have been something more, like the way Android and WebOS and iPhone have been developing, but you know, coming from 4.7 to 5.0 is a great start. Sure the GUI is antiquated as all heck, but it's much, much quicker than 4.7

First off, with the profiles: You can set how many times you want to hear a alert. I missed that so much from the original Curve. A text comes in - it beeps 1, 2 or 3 times...I have berrybuzz, but I never used it. I didn't need something to ring constantly for however long, I just needed to hear something ring 3 times, like a text. I love this feature.

Going from lock screen to home screen is INSTANT. No lag. And somehow, the whole "look" seems softer...as in, the look of the screen, or the fonts, or the something...it just looks more "liquid"

I didn't think I was gonna be such a fan of threaded sms because I love using Beyond 160 (which I think works for me on this os) but it's been awesome. Addicting to say the least.

It's definitely snappy, and I highly recommend going to 5.0.0.230. I'm shocked I didn't do this sooner because I'm such a techie when it comes to these things...the Storm REALLY scarred me for life, but slowly I'm learning that it beat me because it loved me...

I wish RIM could make an OS like WebOS or Android or iPhone, but no one makes a hardware keyboard like RIM, so hopefully they get their act together and can really make a good combo of the two. 5.0 isn't the answer to fixing an "outdated" OS, but it's a load better than 4.7. So go go go go go go...install it! You'll be happy
    11-13-09 10:50 AM
    It looks like I'm going to take the plunge now to 5.0

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-09 11:05 AM
    It's been running for a day now, battery life, even with putzing around with it, has been great!

It's just so fluid. Stock theme, icons set up how I like them...

I just feel like 4.7 was an infected bandaid compared to this. BBOS needs to be "universal" in order for apps to work flawlessly - when you have a stable of phones all running different OS's then of course it becomes a nightmare.

5.0 has been great, running Verizon, GPS works, phone beeps when it's supposed to, email works, bbm works. Been great so far.
    11-13-09 11:09 AM
    i also recently installed 5.0 and have had zero problems. the speed of moving screen to screen alone is worth the upgrade.
    11-13-09 11:11 AM
    Once more apps are 5.0 compatible, I will. I guess by then the new OS will FINALLY be released officially.

11-13-09 11:12 AM
    Once more apps are 5.0 compatible, I will. I guess by then the new OS will FINALLY be released officially.

What apps aren't 5.0 compatible? Almost all have been updated by this point, and I don't have a single app that doesn't work with 5.0.
    11-13-09 11:17 AM
    I use QuickLaunch, QuickText, UrbanSpoon and a few others. They all work flawlessly with OS5.

And YES!!! The instant screen transitions. Click, DONE. No wait, no hourglass....

In love!
    11-13-09 11:32 AM
    thx for your POV OP. it was interesting to read. makes me want to upgrade, but i really don't wana re-download my 2389289 apps. + i have 1 that i actually bought. i have no idea how that works with paid apps. (quicklaunch)
    11-13-09 11:36 AM
    I am going to have to give it another try. I tried it twice. Both on complete wipes. It would lock up for no reason. The only way to clear the lock-up was a battery pull. It got old so I went back. It could have been an incompatible app at the time, not sure.
    11-13-09 11:37 AM
    OP, I'm like you...want to, but am hesitant. On my old WinMo phone I upgraded to a custom ROM, but found there was much more info conveniently gathered together on how to do it. I haven't seen a good, step-by-step guide to updating a Blackberry. If there was one, or someone could point one out, I just might take the plunge.
    11-13-09 11:52 AM
    Definitely a nice note regarding 5.0... have you still been experiencing memory hemorrhage with 5.0? I'm at 4.7 and have noticed sporadic memory bleeds, which I'm still trying to figure out if it's a specific app or what. On a fresh boot I start off with roughly 113. Leaving apps like Viigo and Bloomberg on the memory seems to stay around 112 and slowly goes down with usage, which I can understand. Then I'll leave it the way it is for a few hours with no change in memory usage. Checking it much later memory would drop to 108 for no reason!
    11-13-09 11:56 AM
    Quicklaunch works fine on OS 5.0
    11-13-09 11:57 AM
    I'm gonna watch this thread and wait(?). I'm still a little chicken, this is my first BB (tour), and I'm still learning (and lovin) it, but I can see it won't be long. What the **** is wrong with RIM, why won't they step up and do the official thing? Oh, thanks for all the great info.
    11-13-09 12:29 PM
    You know:

I used BBSAK (BB Swiss Army Kit) to back up my apps. But I found the program a bit flakey...it worked, but it didn't load all my apps back at once, I had to manually do it.

I used JM_Cmdr to wipe my phone, went to the BB File in Common Files (C:/Program Files/Common Files/RIM/Etc...) and loaded LOADER.EXE and made sure my wifi was off and I wasn't connected to the net.

There's no ONE place to get all the upgrade info. I can't tell you how many windows I had open. I've done my fair share of programming, so trust me, I'm no dummy, but it seems that I was being jerked around and nothing is properly "linked" People talk about all this stuff you'll need to perform the update, and the links are scattered. BBHybrids.net had the utilities software links I needed. And somewhere on here I found an OS5 link, I never wiped before (my software that is, ha!) so it was scary for a hot second...but now that I rarely have memory leaks the way they were, I feel awesome.

It's just so much more satisfying to use the phone. I wish there was a more comprehensive guide to the update for others. Something very clear that is step by step. "Reboot phone. Load BBSAK, click on backup applications button." etc. etc.

But really, I recommend this simply from a usability point of view. I just couldnt wait anymore. 4.7 was a dog compared to this.
    11-13-09 12:31 PM
    Oh, and don't forget, in that folder where the LOADER.EXE file is, you have to delete the vendor.xml file...
    11-13-09 12:33 PM
    OH! And by the way - Pictures load SUPER quick on this!

On 4.7, I would load my photos, and would always tell someone "give me a minute..." while the thumbnails loaded. With this OS5, they load nearly instantaneously. It's phenomenal how the difference is like night and day.

Totally am digging it.

I'm hovering at around 102mb...down a few meg, and it's been running for a day. But honestly, I think it's a given that all BB's big and small will leak memory. One day maybe RIM will get their ducks in a row when it comes to this...

Super happy to be using this phone...been using BB's for years, and I hope this is just a taste of what's to come on their OS map...
    11-13-09 12:37 PM
    Maybe original poster can Link the instructions he used to give people more confidence
    11-13-09 12:38 PM
    Damn OP.... You are making this hard for those who like myself are waiting for something official.
    Now thanks to you, the little voices in my head saying "do it do it" are back! ;-)

11-13-09 12:49 PM
    OH! And by the way - Pictures load SUPER quick on this!

On 4.7, I would load my photos, and would always tell someone "give me a minute..." while the thumbnails loaded. With this OS5, they load nearly instantaneously. It's phenomenal how the difference is like night and day.

Totally am digging it.

I'm hovering at around 102mb...down a few meg, and it's been running for a day. But honestly, I think it's a given that all BB's big and small will leak memory. One day maybe RIM will get their ducks in a row when it comes to this...

Super happy to be using this phone...been using BB's for years, and I hope this is just a taste of what's to come on their OS map...
    Sounds like you must have one of the slower phones to begin with.. but glad the new OS is helping you out. My reboot times at most are 3 minutes 40 seconds and pics load fine with no wait. Must be the long reboot phones are slow in every respect or something. Also I have 103.9mb free and haven't done a battery pull for two days. Guess I'll wait for the official 5.0 release.....for now anyway.lol.
    11-13-09 01:00 PM
    Yeah but sprint nav or gps and google map doesn't work with this version. And now a thread of all their blackberry as getting the 522 error.. I would wait if your an sprint user.. I know it sucks.. I loved the 5.0 os but I missed my gps to.. I pay the unlimited plan just to have it for free.
    11-13-09 01:01 PM
    I bought BBWeather last week for my 4.7 OS. What is the policy for when I upgrade my OS and have to reinstall? I don't have to buy it again do I?
    11-13-09 01:04 PM
    Where can I get the new 5.0 OS?
    11-13-09 01:13 PM
    Where can I get the new 5.0 OS?
    Check out this forum post. The first link just worked for me fine. Installing now.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...-230-a-319863/
    11-13-09 01:16 PM
    I bought BBWeather last week for my 4.7 OS. What is the policy for when I upgrade my OS and have to reinstall? I don't have to buy it again do I?
    The upgrade migrates your apps anyways. Worst case scenario do a backup first, or export the .cod file using BBSAK.
    11-13-09 01:47 PM
    I want to caution that bluetooth implementation for streaming music does not work properly in 5.0.0.230. I use the Motorola T505 and I've had nothing but problems with the music part of it. The bluetooth phone part works fine.

I have decided not to downgrade. I am enjoying 5.0.0.230 quite a bit. It works very well and battery life has improved considerably.
    11-13-09 01:49 PM
111 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD