Yep...if I had Sprint here....there'd be no point in having a phone...calls drop like flies. 40% cheaper for a reason.....
    07-03-09 10:44 PM
    Sounds like it will be a tough time. I can't hardly go a day without a cell phone much less my BB. Good luck to you!

And to everyone dissing Sprint and comparing it to other carriers, grow up! It really comes down to the specific area a person occupies and the coverage in that area. Sprint could be proven to have the most dependable 3G, but that doesn't matter if their area doesn't get coverage. OP said he gets good coverage in his area and where he travels, who cares if he's on Sprint or Verizon?
    07-03-09 10:49 PM
    Yep...if I had Sprint here....there'd be no point in having a phone...calls drop like flies. 40% cheaper for a reason.....
    funny cuz when i had Verizon i was dropping even more calls, and they have the so called largest network.. Sure its 40% more expensive for what? more dropped calls, ah no.
    07-03-09 11:13 PM
    Sounds like it will be a tough time. I can't hardly go a day without a cell phone much less my BB. Good luck to you!

And to everyone dissing Sprint and comparing it to other carriers, grow up! It really comes down to the specific area a person occupies and the coverage in that area. Sprint could be proven to have the most dependable 3G, but that doesn't matter if their area doesn't get coverage. OP said he gets good coverage in his area and where he travels, who cares if he's on Sprint or Verizon?
    thank you finally someone from the dark side with reason. lol. no offense
    07-03-09 11:15 PM
    uh... Guys/Gals the OP clearly said he didn't want this thread to turn into a carrier war so take it else where. Ok? Great!!

OP - I will be doing something similar as you on the VZW network. I will be going without my personal phone for only 3-5 days. But, when I leave my phone at home I feel like I'm going nuts! Good Luck!
    07-03-09 11:25 PM
    I think you made a good choice. Tour is looking to be a real force in the Smartphone world..
    07-04-09 12:00 AM
    OP, i wouldn't do this if you ported a number from another carrier. What i would do in your position i port my number to a prepaid phone for that week (i know it's a dumb phone but it's better than nothing) and when the tour comes out, port back to sprint. That way you don't lose your number

And to everyone else, quit bickering about which carrier is best, it's a never-ending war.
    07-04-09 12:25 AM
    I have not been a single day without a cellphone in nearly 5 years but today I will be returning my Pre and going on a truly epic journey of being completely disconnected and without a cellphone for just over a weeks time. Will it be possible? I am sure! Will I go insane being without that communication tool? Good chance of that happening! So this evening at around 8p.m. Eastern time I will begin my journey back to the Blackberry universe that truly is a "Crack" like experience. I'm sure I will be happy on the 13th after playing with my new Tour, but in the meantime I wont doubt I curse RIM up and down for putting this addiction on my and the lengths I will go to continue to feed it.[/QUOTE]

If u REALLY need a phone u can always go to walmart and buy a prepaid ATT phone...is no blackberry but at least u have a phone.
    07-04-09 01:17 AM
    Wow.. Left this post over the holiday weekend and look what has happened while I was gone! Glad to see some discussion focused on my main reason for posting!

I am not officially on day 3 of being without a cellphone. I returned my Pre Friday evening and even had the Sprint rep offer a personal phone of his to use until the Tour was released.. Sadly The closest Sprint store is over an hour away and he did not have the phone with him so I politely declined and ended my service. Curiously his manager as well as him said that the only Tour information they had would be that they would get a shipment sometime before August 2nd and sales would start then. Neither person was away of online/telesales selling the phone on the 12th.

So how have these past three days been without a cellphone? Awful, I thought to myself a lot while making this decision, having not been without a cellphone for five years I wondered how important of a tool it has been for me. Obviously being a smartphone user I depend on my phone for much more than just communication, it is my planner (calender), my notebook, phone book, email, and entertainment while on the go. So as I sit here on day 3 with over a week I to go I am seriously wondering if I will make it?

At this point I am contract-less, no cellphone provider and no backup phone, simply disconnected. The reactions I have gotten from friends and family ranges from, " I don't think you can do, I would DIE without my phone" , to "I honestly don't think it will be that bad, you went years without one before cellphones were mainstream" . Well I don't know how I or anyone else truly lived their lives without the tool that call a smartphone. Maybe it was because all of my friends lived on the same block and it was easy to just ride my bike and see a friend or plan a sleepover.

Now I realize I have friends and family I am connected with all over the country and even with services like blogs, Twitter, and Facebook I can keep contact I will never have that instantaneous form of communication.

A good example.. So I have a group of friends that all went to see the new Transformers movie and since then all they have done is talk about how the reviews are low but the movie was fun and exciting! So on Friday evening after returning my phone and starting my two 10 day trek without a phone my girlfriend and I went to see the movie.. As the credits come on to the screen I realize this movie was pretty awesome, big and flashy, but not at all cheesy or cheap. So I think, I am going to text my buddy Tom and tell him he was right a good movie recommendation, but wait? I just returned my phone, and now I dont have one.. AT ALL, that simple thing that I have taken for granted for years now being gone has had its first impact on how I am living day to day.

To sum it up, its awful, horrible, and almost unbearable. I am excited to see how I feel a week from now and even a few days later than that when I have a brand new Tour in my hands and am officially "connected" again. I even look forward to seeing the notifcation light blink as I am sure it will even more than normal having been away from so many people for what I thought was a short time, but proving to be much longer in reality.
    07-05-09 01:21 PM
    Well over 6,000 texts...Pre...the keyboard is small...
    Wow! Your fingers, hands, and arms must be killing you! After about 50, I was spent. Unless you're a midget, expect a challenge w/ the Pre, haah. I'm glad Sprint worked out for you. It's not been good times here in Tempe, AZ. A simple hour long stint in a bowling alley lost me 50% of my battery searching and searching for a signal...while my bro's Storm had full EVDO, haha.
    07-05-09 10:51 PM
    Although I didn't have any actual reception issues to the point where it hindered my call quality/ data usage, a good friend of mine has a Rumor on Sprint and he consistently had 1-2 bars more than me.. I think the Pre had an issue with the radio.. Either way, the battery was terrible and the phone is gone and here I am on day 4 without a phone and it's not getting any easier!
    07-06-09 12:38 PM
    Although I didn't have any actual reception issues to the point where it hindered my call quality/ data usage, a good friend of mine has a Rumor on Sprint and he consistently had 1-2 bars more than me.. I think the Pre had an issue with the radio.. Either way, the battery was terrible and the phone is gone and here I am on day 4 without a phone and it's not getting any easier!
    i also think the radio is not as good on the Pre than other Sprint products, in my basement inside brick walls i get a decent 2 sometimes 3 bars. meanwhile my brother who has the Pre although calls are still going threw he shows only 1 bar.
    07-06-09 12:49 PM
    Ah cool.. Good luck without having a phone for a week. man that'd be sooo weird... Seriously who care what carrier anyones with.. IF the area you live in has good service for both carriers then I'm sorry sprint is better because it's $30 cheaper a month easy and you get nav and stuff for free.. Just depends on the area
    07-06-09 01:00 PM
    I spoke with a few family members and told them that even though they have watched me over the years completely glued to whichever smartphone I had at the time almost all the time that I was not dependent on it for a good time. The things most important to me in my life are family and friends not the fact that I have a cellphone..

Well that's true but what I fail to realize is how close my Blackberry brought me to all of my friends and family, without it I feel out of touch and even miss things and trending topics that others are talking about.. By the time I leave work and am back to my computer and check my facebook the things that were going on or being discussed are now old topics and everyone has moved on to discussing other things.

So I really thought I could leave it behind for a week or so and not lose anything from what I do day to day. Well this is wrong, my life itself, while not dependent on a cellphone, has adapted and developed some of a dependence on using a phone for all of my communications and keeping in touch with all of the people in my life all the time.

Now keep in mind I don't have a home phone, we have long since canceled ours in favor of the always useful cellphone. I'm also the type of person that leaves his phone in the car while going into dinner or a movie, while I am with friends or family I don't feel that dependence on the phone, I put it aside and enjoy the time I have with who I am with. Getting to that point now is just much harder. So my trip continues..
    07-06-09 01:43 PM
    Pfft. I am defined by my phone. Thus, wo/ an iPhone, I have a difficult time in some social circles.
    07-06-09 06:56 PM
    Sprint has free roaming on verizon... What's ur point? Tell ur friend to get a better phone then an instinct lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    this is way over used, and while true, head my counterpoint.

if you have 1 bar of sprint where there 5 bars of verizon you still get the 1 bar sprint connection... so roaming is a null point.

im not saying your sprint connaction is bad in your area. just stating a fact.
    07-06-09 07:08 PM
    this is way over used, and while true, head my counterpoint.

if you have 1 bar of sprint where there 5 bars of verizon you still get the 1 bar sprint connection... so roaming is a null point.

im not saying your sprint connaction is bad in your area. just stating a fact.
    Sprint will only roam if it has no service in that area. it can and will hold a call with out dropping even with 1 bar. so if sprint does roam into a Verizon network it will also have 5 bars..
    07-06-09 07:28 PM
    Not when you force roaming.. With my Pre I had this ability and used it often just to test the function.
    07-07-09 11:10 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD