Alright guys,
    So I have the 8900 it's my first Blackberry and I love it! I'v probably gone through 12 phones within the last year before i'v settled on this one. I work for Verizon, but have Tmobile (Don't Ask its the Blackberry). Now I live on my own now and have been looking into getting internet at my home. I'v been tethering off of my Curve and it's OK obviosuly Edge is not the best speed out there.

SO my question is: I know Verizon is releasing the Tour 9630 with 3G and their tethering is usually $60 unless you have a Blackberry plan then it's only $30. Plus my discount it will definitly be cheaper. Problem is: I have three lines with Tmobile I just switched from Sprint last June so i'm not anywhere near my contract at all so canceling service will be pricey.

I went into a Tmobile store and the reps their told me their broandband card on 2G is faster then Verizon/ATT on 3G. (I live in Salt Lake City) so we don't have Tmobile 3G here anyway which is why I purchased the 8900. But I didn't know tethering would be so SLOW.

Anyways, what would you guys do? or suggest? I know getting Comcast or something like that is way more out of my price range I mean I am only a student. So I just need a good solution. Switch when the Tour comes out? or what?

Thanks for your help, any advice would be appriciated.
    05-19-09 01:23 PM
    Really, getting a cable or dsl connection is more per month than getting an aircard or tethering? I pay $29.95 a month for my cable connection and it is 10 mbs.

My first suggestion is to find out the actual cost of all the different services. Then you can determine what is right for you.

If dsl or cable are even remotely close to what you are already paying then you might want to consider that option. Are you in a dorm or apartment? You could ask around and see if anyone else needs internet access that can't get it. If there are, then they might be willing to split the cost of the cable/dsl internet bill with you and you could set up a small wifi network. With this setup you could get a couple people to chip in and it would almost cost you nothing.
    05-19-09 01:47 PM
    I went into a Tmobile store and the reps their told me their broandband card on 2G is faster then Verizon/ATT on 3G. (I live in Salt Lake City) so we don't have Tmobile 3G here anyway which is why I purchased the 8900. But I didn't know tethering would be so SLOW.
    You got lied to. Check your coverage at Verizon Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless. I agree with roeod4 check around and see what the prices are. You also have to remember if you tether or even get an aircard you are capped at 5GB a month.
    05-19-09 03:33 PM
    Alright guys,
    So I have the 8900 it's my first Blackberry and I love it! I'v probably gone through 12 phones within the last year before i'v settled on this one. I work for Verizon, but have Tmobile (Don't Ask its the Blackberry). Now I live on my own now and have been looking into getting internet at my home. I'v been tethering off of my Curve and it's OK obviosuly Edge is not the best speed out there.

SO my question is: I know Verizon is releasing the Tour 9630 with 3G and their tethering is usually $60 unless you have a Blackberry plan then it's only $30. Plus my discount it will definitly be cheaper. Problem is: I have three lines with Tmobile I just switched from Sprint last June so i'm not anywhere near my contract at all so canceling service will be pricey.

Anyways, what would you guys do? or suggest? I know getting Comcast or something like that is way more out of my price range I mean I am only a student. So I just need a good solution. Switch when the Tour comes out? or what?

Thanks for your help, any advice would be appriciated.

I would seriously really look into dsl for your home..

even cable..

I say dsl because its typically cheaper but cable is available in more areas...

you can find dsl for like 19.99 to 29.99 a month

which is far better then paying for tethering as you can connect as many pc's to it as you want and its probably faster.

As far as tmobile 2g being faster then at&t/Verizon 3g thats a complete lie.

Being able to tether is mostly for a very mobile person. I wouldn't choose tethering for a home service. Then you can just sit on a regular BIS plan and the cost of the tethering would probably cover the cost of having dsl at your house.
    05-20-09 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD