I recently received an upgrade from Verizon for my Storm and received the Tour for free (due to I was on my 8th replacement). I have been with the device for 2 days now and seem to miss being able to do the multi-tasking with ease that I was able to do with my Storm. I know this seems backwards but it is how I feel.
    For example on the Storm once I am done with an email I can simply swipe left or right and on to the next email; not so with the tour or anyother BB.

Not to mention the touch screen and the predictive text with suretype seems to help speed up processes also. Am I the victim of new BB technology or have I just lost the way of the BB. I would love to hear your response on whether to hold on to the Tour or go back to my good ole Storm (number 9 to be exact)
    08-05-09 05:41 PM
    You could always hold down the BB button to bring up the Application Switcher, or program a convenience key (preferably the left as it is easier to push) to the Application Switcher.

It's a minor inconvenience but a second or two shouldn't be that bad, right?

As for SureType, just program auto-correct to replace the longer words you use most often. Not as great as the T9-predictive or SureType but it could boost your typing speed if used efficiently.

Good luck!
    08-05-09 05:45 PM
    Yeah thanks for that. I have installed quicklaunch to the phone already to try and help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 05:53 PM
    learn the keyboard shortcuts

for me I think swiping would take more energy than hitting N for next message
    08-05-09 05:58 PM
    N key will take you to the next message. P key will take you to previous. As far as your typing complaint, its all personal preference, but I personally can type 10x faster on the tour keyboard. The storm typing was awful in my opinion. Learn the keyboard shortcuts, you'll be surprised how many there are that can save you a lot of time.

08-05-09 06:01 PM
    Yeah, everything you could do with gestures can be accomplished by using keyboard shortcuts. You just need to take the time to learn them.

08-05-09 06:30 PM
    Suretype will be released with OS 5.0, which is rumored to be released in the next month or two. This is just one of many great upgrades coming. I'm personally looking forward to the threaded text.
    08-05-09 06:46 PM
    Suretype will be released with OS 5.0, which is rumored to be released in the next month or two. This is just one of many great upgrades coming. I'm personally looking forward to the threaded text.
    . That is going to be awesome. I am not new to blackberry however the os difference between storm and tour are great. Thanks I will hold out and maybe get used to the keyboard.

08-05-09 07:11 PM
    Care to explain how a phone with a full qwerty keyboard can use suretype? Or how its even logical that it will be an OS 5.0 addition?

08-05-09 07:40 PM
    Care to explain how a phone with a full qwerty keyboard can use suretype? Or how its even logical that it will be an OS 5.0 addition?

I can't wait
    08-05-09 07:44 PM
    SureType is predictive. Same with T9. Start typing a word and it'll predict what you want to type, and if it's the word you're looking for then punch the key (space or enter, I'm thinking enter here) and the word will pop up. Just because a device has a QWERTY keyboard doesn't mean that SureType cannot be implemented.

IMO it would be a great addition to the AutoText correction as is and will make typing emails and SMS extremely faster than it was before.
    Last edited by sawedust; 08-05-09 at 07:45 PM. Reason: grammar errors, boo you grammar police
    08-05-09 07:44 PM

I can't wait
    That was painstakingly slow.

Completely wrecks my argument that I posted above... that video needs a better typer to show that a full QWERTY with SureType can be more efficient than without.
    08-05-09 07:48 PM
    I think the purpose of the video is to show what SureType on a QWERTY looks like. Not to show how much faster you can type with it.
    08-05-09 07:52 PM
    I recently received a free upgrade to the Tour as well since I was on my 5th Storm but I definitely get things done faster on the Tour. I am still learning all the shortcuts and efficiently putting them to use so I know with time I will only get faster in using the phone. I had the Storm for about 7 months and was used to certain things but the Tour does get things done faster. I like the keyboard on the Tour more every day, I keep typing faster on it and it has been only about a week. Just give it time and learn the shortcuts as someone else mention.
    08-05-09 07:52 PM
    SureType is predictive. Same with T9. Start typing a word and it'll predict what you want to type, and if it's the word you're looking for then punch the key (space or enter, I'm thinking enter here) and the word will pop up. Just because a device has a QWERTY keyboard doesn't mean that SureType cannot be implemented.

IMO it would be a great addition to the AutoText correction as is and will make typing emails and SMS extremely faster than it was before.
    Seems rather redundant. I can understand its use on the pearl and storm, but in my opinion I'd much rather just type the word without stopping to verify what I already know I'm typing. Some might like the function, I however don't see myself using it. I could be proved wrong once I try it out, and I'm open to at least try any new features that become available at least once.

08-05-09 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD