which os for the tour has the most stable radio?
    11-30-09 08:48 PM
    AFAIK there is only 1 radio for the tour. I could be wrong though.
    11-30-09 08:53 PM
    well ur running the hybrid and there is discussion on those forums where one person said that the radio was more stable in previous versions of the hybrid. im having radio issues and would like to go ahead and fix that.
    11-30-09 08:57 PM
    The hybrid has the same radio as the leaked .230...people just "think" it's acting different with the hybrid. People expect the hybrid to "act" better so they "imagine" it working better in all aspects haha, it's kinda funny but true.
    11-30-09 10:40 PM
    well ur running the hybrid and there is discussion on those forums where one person said that the radio was more stable in previous versions of the hybrid. im having radio issues and would like to go ahead and fix that.
    If you are looking for a more stable hybrid, downgrade to a .191 based OS and install one of Irtehun's older hybrid over top of it. Not as fast as the most recent builds, but definitely more stable radio.
    11-30-09 10:50 PM
    is there an os that has a stable radio and is quick, i dont really care about features at this point, would running the newest 4.7 os or the latest hybrid(which is based on the 4.7 os that was released previously from the current most updated 4.7 os)
    11-30-09 10:55 PM
    is there an os that has a stable radio and is quick, i dont really care about features at this point, would running the newest 4.7 os or the latest hybrid(which is based on the 4.7 os that was released previously from the current most updated 4.7 os)
    I haven't touched a 4.7 OS for months, but some people say you still can't beat 4.7's radio. Me? I feel I get better reception running 5.0. It's all trial and error my friend. See what works best for your berry. I'd suggest the .191
    11-30-09 10:57 PM
    Why are people complaining about the radio in 230... I have the the hybrid and 7.11 and my radio is very stable... I never lose a call or nothing... Is it because I live new york I don't know but thank god it don't happen to me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 01:02 AM
    i live in ny too, long island

in all honesty it seems that my curve running 4.5 was a better phone than the tour. really the only thing better on the tour is the resolution and the camera/video. hopefully we can get better, more stable software so i can say the tour is better than the curve in every day, which it should be
    12-01-09 02:01 AM
    i live in ny too, long island

in all honesty it seems that my curve running 4.5 was a better phone than the tour. really the only thing better on the tour is the resolution and the camera/video. hopefully we can get better, more stable software so i can say the tour is better than the curve in every day, which it should be
    Weaker and unstable signal is a known issue with the Tour.

12-01-09 05:56 AM
    The radio is starting to **** me off too. Sometimes out of the blue I would lose all connection and have to wait about a min for it to get any signal.
    12-01-09 06:07 AM
    Weaker and unstable signal is a known issue with the Tour.

on all the official and hybrid os?
    12-02-09 05:14 AM
    on all the official and hybrid os?
    I believe it is more internal antenna related. The Tour has weaker reception than many other BB's especially indoors. Also many drop from 1XEV to 1X which they never had this problem with their other BB's. Im not saying ALL Tours are like this and some have great/better reception with the Tour. Also the signal reception bar that keeps jumping up and down on the Tour is also a well known issue. Many are constantly updating PRL , taking out SIM card to try and improve signal. I have had quite a few cell phones in my life and the Tour is by far the most unstable. I will go from full 5 bars down to 0 bars just by stepping indoors, or just by moving around or by simply pressing the browser icon. I do like this phone and oddly still get good call quality and never drop from 1XEV.
    Im not convinced an OS version could change this but there is always hope. Again not everyone is experiencing this, but it is very common with the Tour.

12-02-09 06:08 AM
    There are several ways to get other radio versions. Basically, you have to install an different version of the OS on your PC such as 5.0.0.140 or 5.0.0.191 and then make a copy of the CDMA folder. You will find it inside program files(x86 for 64bit)/common files/RIM/shared/loader files/the OS.

The file inside the CDMA folder looks something like rim0x0D000D04.sfi. This is the radio file.

If you later install a newer OS and then copy that .sfi file back into the CDMA folder, when you install the OS to your phone you will have a newer OS with an older version of the phone data.

Right now I'm running one of irtehun's hybrids. It uses 230 as the base operating system, plus 7.12 of his hybrid which includes files up to version 371. I am also using the 191 radio file right now. We're trying to see if the 191 radio file helps since many people thought the 230 radio was questionable.

As far as I know, it is not possible to use the radio from a version 4 OS, but then again, I haven't tried.

Hope this helps.
    12-02-09 08:32 AM
    yea the radio on the tour definitely is the worst part of anything. My tour has been perfect for me no issues hardware wise. but it is definitely true about the radio being sketchy. mine fluctuates all of the time. but oddly even if it's at one bar or zero bar in 3g it still works fine. but it does at times drop out into 1x which blows until the 3g comes back. the other day before i went to 5.0 the radio locked into 1xev and yes in lower case. and it took a battery pull to fix it. I couldn't do anything but text. phone quality was bad and browser wouldn't hook up either
    12-02-09 10:55 AM
    I tried the .230 along with the hybrid by Irtehun. I used it for 2 days and went back to 4.7. While I like the features of 5.0, the radio was VERY unstable. I live where there is "marginal" coverage. Several dropped calls with the hybrid os, none with 4.7.
    12-02-09 12:11 PM
    I have only used .230 in the 5 series for radio and it is indeed somewhat suspect. I can say however that in the 4.7 series, .57 is the best radio. .40 and .61 I would get no service in my parkade, but .57 i did, even though it was 1x only. Its all about application in what works best for you.
    Last edited by Zolutar; 12-02-09 at 12:21 PM.
    12-02-09 12:18 PM
    fyi, i radio swapped and am using the .230 based hybrid (v7.12) with a .191 radio my and signal is significantly better. get 3G bars where I only ever got 1X coverage previously.
    12-02-09 12:21 PM
    yea its seems like my phone like the .230 radio better, i always was in 3G and never really went out of it...the .191 radio just drained by battery life, i took it off the charge and barely used it this morning and it was down to 90% after about 5 bbms and 1 call that lasted 5 min...
    12-02-09 12:54 PM
    I've run these OS's so far:

4.7 based:

5.0 based:

all with/without hybrids. In my opinion, 4.7.1.53 had the best radio - strongest coverage, fewest drops. I have no data or evidence to back that up; that's just my perception after using each of those os versions. Been running the official VZW .61 now since it's release last week and I'm really thinking of going back to .53.
    12-02-09 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD