Hi folks,

As I write this I think it may be a stupid question but here goes! My Tour is suffering from memory leakage. I have third party apps installed of course and know that these, along with themes, may be the culprit. On the other hand, one thing I notice is that the rate of leakage is significantly different when I use a different battery. When I use my extended life battery, it leaks like crazy but when I use the standard battery the leaks are diminished. Is this possible? Can a battery contribute to memory leaks?
    09-08-10 05:55 AM
    Does your usage change when you have the extended battery installed? By that I mean, do you use some particular app more, because you have more battery life? Or do you use the extended battery because you intend to use a particular app? If so, and that app has a problem, then the extended battery is associated with the leak but isn't causal.

I don't know any way the battery itself can affect memory. However, there are 4 connections on the battery. Only two are needed to power the device. Depending on what the OS is doing with the other two contacts, it is not out of the question that the battery is associated with the problem. In this case though, it is still more likely to be an OS issue (a leak in the OS) rather than the battery itself. But the battery could be a contributing factor if it induces the OS to do something that cause the OS to leak memory.
    09-08-10 06:24 AM
    Thanks Jeff, very goof thought. No, my usgae doesn't differ with the extended battery. I do the same things. I use it if I'll be away from a power source for a while or sometimes just because I like the bulkier feel; however I use my device in the same fashion.

Very interesting about the battery terminals. I've learned something new today! I had heard long ago and with a different device (not a BB) that after market batteries can cause a device to do some strange things. I've tried changing themes and am fanatical about closing out apps and the only difference I've found when my memory leakage is reduced is the change of battery. I just wondered if it was even possible. As for the OS, I started w/4.7 on this device and am now using 5.0 but the memory leaks have remained constant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 07:52 AM
    I never noticed a leak with OS 4.7, but with 5.0.0.732 I do see a slow decrease in available memory that doesn't get recovered. However, I typically have to swap batteries by late afternoon. That forced reboot corrects the leak before it becomes a problem. I haven't used an extended battery; I just bought a second standard battery and a quick charger. For geocaching, I plan to buy a solar charger so I can recharge while hiking.
    09-08-10 08:02 AM
    I recently had a big problem with ubertwitter. I have since closed the app and my battery life is a lot better.

Do you happen to have it installed?

Bill
    09-08-10 02:31 PM
    Thanks for the info Jeff. What app do you use to geocache? And a solar charger??? That sounds pretty cool!

Thanks Speczorz. No ubertwitter but I do have twitter.
    09-08-10 07:02 PM
    Thanks for the info Jeff. What app do you use to geocache? And a solar charger??? That sounds pretty cool!...
    I use Geocache Navigator for Verizon, by Trimble. You can download a free 7-day trial at BlackBerry AppWorld.
    09-08-10 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD