So last night, my car was broken into, my purse stolen, which had my storm in it. It was recovered...buuttttt it's not in any condition to get rid of (I had it on ebay, the auction ended last night, the bidder was pissed and left me some nasty feedback but it isn't like i planned this crap!), it had been all scratched up with a knife, on the back and everything, so I just decided to go back to my little pearl and ditch the storm. I wasn't for sure whether i would get a new phone....except. well now it seems as though i have no choice whether to get a tour! funny how things work out....sad thing is my NE2 isn't until November so I don't even get a discount :-\ BUT I get a new tour!!!
    06-23-09 01:07 PM
    you don't have car insurance? that would pay for your tour.
    06-23-09 01:09 PM
    Buy full retail
    06-23-09 01:10 PM
    you don't have car insurance? that would pay for your tour.
    If you have that coverage yes. But usually, anything in your car that wasn't part of the car from the factory, isn't covered unless you pay extra for that coverage.
    06-23-09 01:15 PM
    Do you own your home? You may be able to open a claim through your home owner's insurance if you dont have full coverage including theft on your car. That effing sucks! I know your pain, as my car has been broken into 3 times.
    06-23-09 01:15 PM
    Do you own your home? You may be able to open a claim through your home owner's insurance if you dont have full coverage including theft on your car. That effing sucks! I know your pain, as my car has been broken into 3 times.
    Oh yeah, because we promote insurance fraud, right? Stupid suggestion dude..
    06-23-09 01:16 PM
    1 more post and you can sell the storm here. (In Market Place Forum of course) Just make sure the price and description make it clear the phone's condition.
    06-23-09 01:16 PM
    So last night, my car was broken into, my purse stolen, which had my storm in it. It was recovered...buuttttt it's not in any condition to get rid of (I had it on ebay, the auction ended last night, the bidder was pissed and left me some nasty feedback but it isn't like i planned this crap!), it had been all scratched up with a knife, on the back and everything, so I just decided to go back to my little pearl and ditch the storm. I wasn't for sure whether i would get a new phone....except. well now it seems as though i have no choice whether to get a tour! funny how things work out....sad thing is my NE2 isn't until November so I don't even get a discount :-\ BUT I get a new tour!!!
    What did the police say when you filed a report?

Yay @ getting a Tour, but I don't understand why anyone would steal a device just to scratch it up with a knife
    06-23-09 01:19 PM
    Oh yeah, because we promote insurance fraud, right? Stupid suggestion dude..
    What are you talking about? Not a stupid question at all? I was not asking if OP has insurance just to be able to get a new phone but to cover what was stolen and not recovered, and any damage to her car, etc.
    06-23-09 01:24 PM
    It is not insurance fraud to file a claim with your homeowners insurance for stolen property out of your car. I personally filed a claim after my car was broken into and I had 80 cd's, a laptop, and GPS unit stolen out of my car. My car insurance wouldnt cover it, but the homeowners would, after the deductible of course.
    06-23-09 01:28 PM
    I think it is more of a sign that you shouldn't leave your purse in the car anymore...

In the end, however, you'll be much happier with a Tour than a Storm.
    06-23-09 01:32 PM
    I feel like they only damaged the phone just to be mean, knowing that it would be too hard to try and sell a stolen phone, as i had reported it stolen, so it did them no good to try and sell it because when someone tried to look up the MEID they'd find out it was stolen.

The police had said they've had a few similar break-ins in the area, finding most of the victim's belongings along the highway, etc. so they're thinking it's just some stupid kids playing pranks, they've recovered everything including the purse and nothing was stolen. so if anything it would just lead me to believe they were just being *******.

I went through a ton of trouble to cancel all my bank and credit cards, including my checkbook. but the most important thing is that I know I have everything and was able to physically have those items back in my hands versus worrying about someone having my belongings.

I think I'll give the storm to my sister, she really doesn't care that its scratched, and she's been wanting a BB, the rents just wouldn't spring for it.

As far as filing the car insurance, i have full coverage but it doesn't cover anything in the car like someone above said, and I don't own a home, lol I'm a 20 year old college student so I don't own anything except my car lol
    06-23-09 01:33 PM
    It is not insurance fraud to file a claim with your homeowners insurance for stolen property out of your car. I personally filed a claim after my car was broken into and I had 80 cd's, a laptop, and GPS unit stolen out of my car. My car insurance wouldnt cover it, but the homeowners would, after the deductible of course.
    Exactly!!!
    06-23-09 01:34 PM
    And where was your car? At home or out somewhere? If it's out somewhere, yes it is considered Fraud.. On your property, Home owners would help out. So be specific..
    06-23-09 01:36 PM
    Where do you live? That sounds extreme lol
    06-23-09 01:40 PM
    i live in the middle of the country. so it isn't like stolen property happens very often, if ever when the college kids aren't in town. (I go to Virginia Tech, so we're a huge part of the population, and we've always got a couple of idiots who like to do stupid stuff like this) I've never heard of anything happening over the summer with everyone gone. So yea I definitely learned my lesson about leaving my purse in the car, maybe I should start using that handy hidden compartment in the back of my SUV, I could never figure out why someone would use that, I guess I know now!
    06-23-09 01:43 PM
    And where was your car? At home or out somewhere? If it's out somewhere, yes it is considered Fraud.. On your property, Home owners would help out. So be specific..
    No, yet again, not fraud. You should check your policy, however. I was at a Red Lobster when my car was broken into, stole a bunch of CDs, damaged some sunglasses and my cell phone (years before BBs really hit the scene). My homeowner's policy covered the items in the car. My vehicle insurance covered the damage to the car, i.e. the broken window. And I'm pretty sure my insurance company was well aware that I did not live at Red Lobster. So, just check your policy, but the average homeowner's policy would cover something like that.
    06-23-09 01:44 PM
    Im sorry I wasnt more specific, the car was in front of my house. I know it makes a difference but forgot to put that into my original post.
    06-23-09 01:44 PM
    Where do you live? That sounds extreme lol
    Tell me about it! It was twice actually the other instance my car was just vandalized but not broken into;over a couple years that they all happened and were all at different places. First was while I was at traffic school and was within 20 mins of being there. Stole my headunit cds, backpack with all my books, binders, notes, etc. (That Hurt) Second was recently and stole the head unit clothes i was taking to goodwill and all my tools.

Sorry I didnt mean to hijack the thread, just sharing my story.
    06-23-09 01:45 PM
    Or just dont be so eager to argue...
    06-23-09 01:47 PM
    Maybe laws are different in places, but yes, sometimes your home policy will cover items stolen from your car. How is it fraud if you call your insurance company, tell them what happened at its covered?
    06-23-09 01:55 PM
    What did the police say when you filed a report?

Yay @ getting a Tour, but I don't understand why anyone would steal a device just to scratch it up with a knife
    They probably inteded on stealing the phone as well, but thanks to Verizon and no SIM card to pop out. If they were to activate it on another line and if the MEID of the phone came up as stolen, they could tack the person through Emergency GPS in the phone (assuming it is activated), if not they could just go to the billing address.
    Last edited by wwoodward; 06-23-09 at 02:02 PM.
    06-23-09 01:59 PM
    What the heck is happening in Blacksburg???
    06-23-09 01:59 PM
    What the heck is happening in Blacksburg???

exactly, i have no idea. like i said, usually we have problems during the year, such as robberies, but thats only once a semester, i mean the last i heard someone was robbed at knife point on the dirt road where all the horse farms, etc. are. its just sad, its bad enough being the only person home 3/4ths of the time, and with these things happening, gotta love the growth of the area, with it comes crime :-(
    06-23-09 02:04 PM
    Ok gang the insurance fraud debate is over! Nothing to see here move along.
    06-23-09 02:25 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD