I just got my Tour last night and I am loving it, however i was wondering if it was possible to turn on the screen with an incoming text. My WinMo phone used to do that and it came in handy sometimes when its dark and i cant hear my phone for certain reasons

is it possible?
    07-14-09 08:29 AM
    The app BBLight will do this but I'm not sure if this is compatible with the Tour as of yet. Install it and see if it works. I would but my Tour hasn't arrived from Sprint in the mail.
    07-14-09 08:37 AM
    Check out SMS display on in the CB store
    07-14-09 08:38 AM
    That's what the LED is for, message notification. The idea is that the LED turns on when you receive messages so that you aren't wasting battery power by turning on the display, when you might not be paying attention anyway.
    07-14-09 08:39 AM
    BB light works, and the new version of it also has a vibrate and ring at the same time app. Comes in handy if you were using Buzz Me also like I was.
    07-14-09 08:39 AM
    Use the LED.
    07-14-09 08:44 AM
    Can vouch for BBlight (not that it works on the tour, but that it's a great free app).
    07-14-09 08:49 AM
    I just checked bblight: BBLight

it says nothing about turning on the screen on incoming SMS
    Last edited by carzaddict; 07-14-09 at 08:54 AM.
    07-14-09 08:51 AM
    I just checked bblight: BBLight

it says nothing about turning on the screen on incoming SMS
    BBLight v1.95 – Free Backlight App Adds Vibe And Ring Functionality | BerryReview.com �
    I think that is for the older series BBs. Check the link above and you will see the option for SMS, email, calendar, etc.

And for those that say to just use the LED:
    The LED blinks for other things as well as SMS but with BBLight, if my phone lights up then I know I just got a text (plus I'm going to light up the phone to read it anyway). Handy app IMO.
    07-14-09 09:27 AM
    I have BBLight, but what exactly does it allow you to do that you can't do with just the normal blackberry settings?

Also does it kill the battery?
    07-14-09 09:42 AM
    I have BBLight, but what exactly does it allow you to do that you can't do with just the normal blackberry settings?

Also does it kill the battery?
    It turns on the backlight when you receive a text, email or calendar notification. You can also set it to open the messages app when a new message is received.
    07-14-09 09:48 AM
    It turns on the backlight when you receive a text, email or calendar notification. You can also set it to open the messages app when a new message is received.
    that's funny because I was asking my roommate who has a Bold how to get the phone to do that, I didn't like that each time I got a text i had to manually open up the sms folder to read it. Sounds very practical! Does it affect battery life subsantially?
    07-14-09 09:50 AM
    that's funny because I was asking my roommate who has a Bold how to get the phone to do that, I didn't like that each time I got a text i had to manually open up the sms folder to read it. Sounds very practical! Does it affect battery life subsantially?
    No, it runs quietly in the background. You can also set it to keep the backlight on when plugged in to external power. I dock my phone in the BB charging cradle (external power) and it stays lit so I can see what notifications I have without lifting a finger. Best part: It's Free!!
    07-14-09 10:03 AM
    No, it runs quietly in the background. You can also set it to keep the backlight on when plugged in to external power. I dock my phone in the BB charging cradle (external power) and it stays lit so I can see what notifications I have without lifting a finger. Best part: It's Free!!
    I actually already had it, as soon as I got my Tour on Sunday I logged on here and downloaded a few apps people said were "must have". I didn't want to start messing with BBLight though yet because I wasn't sure what it did, and wasn't even sure how to set up the blackberry and didn't want to mess with settings before I even knew how to use the phone.
    07-14-09 10:07 AM
    it doesn't open the sms app (yes, it's configured to), anyone have any luck with this?
    07-14-09 10:57 AM
    it doesn't open the sms app (yes, it's configured to), anyone have any luck with this?
    It doesn't actually open up the SMS app, merely turns on the backlight when a text/email what have you comes in.
    07-14-09 11:12 AM
    BBLight v1.95 – Free Backlight App Adds Vibe And Ring Functionality | BerryReview.com �
    I think that is for the older series BBs. Check the link above and you will see the option for SMS, email, calendar, etc.

And for those that say to just use the LED:
    The LED blinks for other things as well as SMS but with BBLight, if my phone lights up then I know I just got a text (plus I'm going to light up the phone to read it anyway). Handy app IMO.
    thank you!! im gunna download now

the next app I want is an iPhone type popup notification for SMS....i know theres one but it doesnt mark the texts as read, so it kinda defeats the purpose
    07-14-09 12:03 PM
    I have had BBLight since I had the Curve. AWESOME APP!!! But.. now that I have it on the Tour, I think it's causing some issues (at least for me).
    I have it so it can "RING & VIBRATE" at the same time. All of that is fine. My issue is this....
    When I have my phone plugged into the charger, I don't get sound notifications with I get emails, texts, BBM's or Google Chat messages. Off the charger, it's good.
    I'm not sure if BBLight is what's causing this, but i don't have any other explanation.
    Is anyone else experiencing this?
    07-18-09 05:59 PM
    i justed downloaded it...trying it out now
    07-18-09 11:27 PM
    i downloaded it, its perfect....does exactly what i wanted it to do

I like the extra feature of opening up my messages inbox as well
    07-19-09 12:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD