Hello Folks,

I have owned a Tour 9630 for the past year. Overall its performance has been great. Very few problems and NO downtime, no tradeins required.

I like the Tour because it is very intuitive and easy to operate. Again, low maintenance and few bugs. However, it is slowing down as time goes on and I would like a new, faster handset.

I can upgrade now with a contract renewal and am thinking about the Droid X. Any advice or suggestions from experienced users the Tour and/or the Motorola device???

Thank You,
    TourDirector10000
    01-02-11 03:55 PM
    Hello Folks,

I have owned a Tour 9630 for the past year. Overall its performance has been great. Very few problems and NO downtime, no tradeins required.

I like the Tour because it is very intuitive and easy to operate. Again, low maintenance and few bugs. However, it is slowing down as time goes on and I would like a new, faster handset.

I can upgrade now with a contract renewal and am thinking about the Droid X. Any advice or suggestions from experienced users the Tour and/or the Motorola device???

Thank You,
    TourDirector10000
    I myself am biased to my BB Tour and have had it 2 months short of the 2 years it has been out, I have never traded it in for problems and as a matter of fact have had no problems with it even worth mentioning. I suppose I got lucky and received a well built phone. i have also updated to new carrier official OSs as they have come out again with a few things i don't like but have learned to live with.

Bottom line, I know many friends who have made the switch to Android to either Droid X by Motorola or the HTC Incredible and love them after the learning curve. I think this is just something you are going to have to go to VZW and play with the phone and find out based on how you like them and what they have to offer based on how you use your phone and for what on whether it is worth it to switch or not.

Good luck in whatever you do as i myself am going to wait out my upgrade in a few months to see what RIm or another brand of phone comes to VZW and make up my mind then.
    01-03-11 01:02 PM
    Hello Folks,

Thank You,
    TourDirector10000
    Hi there,
    I personally made the switch from a Tour to the Moto Droid1 and in August I went to the DroidX, I was a diehard BB user for years and I definitely do not regret my decision, there is far more you can do with the droid and its overall better in almost every aspect. If you are partial to the front facing qwerty, try looking into the Droid Pro. I hear it has a nicer keyboard than even blackberry.
    I prefer the X over the original Droid or Droid Pro just for the huge screen real estate, you'd think a 4.3" screen would be too big, I can't imagine having a phone without that size of a screen now! Good luck to you with whatever you decide!

I turned on my Tour today for fun, and it just feels clunky and so slow.
    01-03-11 05:56 PM
    I am also due for an upgrade and I was thinking of switching to the EVO on Sprint but am trying to see what new phones are coming out before I make the jump.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-11 10:34 AM
    I left my Tour for a Droid 2. I've not regretted it. Best bet is go spend a couple of hours in your carrier's corporate store playing with diffrerent devices you're interested in. Type out emails or something equivalent in length on each device and see if you can tolerate that.

Every device has its' own strengths and weaknesses.
    01-04-11 03:46 PM
    Good thread. In March, if VZW has no new BlackBerry I'm going Droid as well. I'll get whatever Droid is global.

01-04-11 03:58 PM
    Good thread. In March, if VZW has no new BlackBerry I'm going Droid as well. I'll get whatever Droid is global.

I have had many conversations with Sandman in PM and in thread about his decision to go Android and personally I respect and can see why he did. This is why I spend as much time at Android Central asI do here to stay on top of things.

Chrisy it sounds to me we must have gotten out Tour around the same time as my upgrade is in March as well and am most likely going to do the same as you except it does not matter to me if it is a global phone although that would be a benefit like the Droid Pro with a Querty keyboard.

I don't see Rim doing anything special for VZW and to tell you the truth if iphone gets to VZW by March I might be hard pressed to make a choice between that phone and an Android.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 01-04-11 at 05:55 PM.
    01-04-11 05:53 PM
    I'd much rather a Storm 3 or Torch on VZW. But I'm not confident that will happen by March.

01-04-11 06:41 PM
    I'd much rather a Storm 3 or Torch on VZW. But I'm not confident that will happen by March.

Pretty well bank on the Torch being out for our carrier and the Storm has never done anything for me... iphone Android in March one or the other.

I strongly recommened to anyone like us that are thinking of switching to start checking out Android Central and ignore anything about Rooting and just read what people say on the Motorola Droix X and the HTC Incredible which is where I would lean and the Incredible will have something new in March with a brand new OS.
    01-04-11 07:27 PM
    The Storm 3, if it has QNX, a dual core processor and a "real" touch screen (not the sure press junk), might be a force to be reckoned with. I would consider a horizontal slider based on the Storm 3 if that were the case.

The downside to QNX is that it will be an immature OS. Folks complain Android is immature despite its' 4 or 5 revisions so far. I can't imagine QNX at its' initial release being bug free. That will be the downside to being an early adopter on the initial QNX BB devices.

I agree though it is extremely frustrating how they've ignored the Vzw customers for new/exciting BB devices.

BBM was the only thing I missed a bit initially but I have most of my former bbm contacts on gtalk or yahoo or sms so I'm good in that regard.

I agree with the advice to check out the Android forum and learn about them in advance and what to expect. They are different from BB devices and there will be a learning curve. Also, keep in mind some shiny new Android based devices should be announced at CES and rolled out shortly after. Possibly even dual core based devices.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 01-04-11 at 10:29 PM.
    01-04-11 10:25 PM
    My upgrade came in November....Galaxy S for my signature on an additional 12 months. It's still valid, but RIM has kept me on board with the Playbook. If it lives up to its official promises, I'll be staying. If not, then I'm jumping ship also.
    01-05-11 12:46 AM
    The Storm 3, if it has QNX, a dual core processor and a "real" touch screen (not the sure press junk), might be a force to be reckoned with. I would consider a horizontal slider based on the Storm 3 if that were the case.

The downside to QNX is that it will be an immature OS. Folks complain Android is immature despite its' 4 or 5 revisions so far. I can't imagine QNX at its' initial release being bug free. That will be the downside to being an early adopter on the initial QNX BB devices.

I agree though it is extremely frustrating how they've ignored the Vzw customers for new/exciting BB devices.

BBM was the only thing I missed a bit initially but I have most of my former bbm contacts on gtalk or yahoo or sms so I'm good in that regard.

I agree with the advice to check out the Android forum and learn about them in advance and what to expect. They are different from BB devices and there will be a learning curve. Also, keep in mind some shiny new Android based devices should be announced at CES and rolled out shortly after. Possibly even dual core based devices.
    With respect to Sandmans last comments about checking out the Android Forum as i had previously stated would be the best thing anyone that wants to switch can do and as I said before... If you switch(or ME!!...LOL) there is going to be a learning curve but it will come quick and that is why I said to ignore people talking about Rooting their phone right away which allows you to basically delete and unbloat Native apps that come on the phone and do many other things that you don't need to mess with when learning.

Just buy it, learn it and enjoy it.

I also must admit something Sandman to be totally honest... Even though i will be looking at Droid phine in March I am still hoping for iphone coming to VZW and I might be hard pressed to refuse going that way. What is your opinion my friend?
    01-05-11 06:22 PM
    I just came from Android.. I had the OG DROID then a Samsung Fascinate.. A brief history lesson - I started with WinMo 5 on the Moto Q, then iPhone 3G, then Palm Pre, then iPhone 3GS, then OG DROID, then Fascinate, now BlackBerry Tour. I've been around the block a few times..

Don't do it..

Android is great, I do like the idea of it, however it's seriously ruined by fragmentation. And there are people who will tell you it's not an issue - but believe me, it is. Example - recently a story emerged about a really nasty SMS bug that's been in Android OS for way too long. Google's bug report page EXPLODED with comments from people affected by the bug (which would send SMS messages to random contacts... oops). Google quickly moved the bug to "critical" status and said they would work on it and release a fix soon.

Sounds great right? No...

There I was with my Fascinate.. still running 2.1.. Not 2.2... Not 2.3... ****, just to fix my GPS I had to install a leaked MAINTENANCE patch.

So when Google drops the fix for the SMS bug, who will get it? Nexus One and Nexus S owners and that's it until the OEM's find time to work it into their phones, then send that to carriers, then finally it's pushed to you.

The thing I loved about iPhone, webOS, and what I'm loving about my BlackBerry, the updates come from RIM (and came from Apple). Not from Google to whomever to the carrier to me.

There are lots of great Android phones and I really did enjoy using them but I feel there are honestly better options. iPhone will be announced for VZW on Tuesday. Hold out and get that if you really must drop BB.

Also with Android, I had lots of issues with e-mails.. no push support.. you have no idea how blown away I am by how quickly I receive FB, MobileMe, and other notifications! I love it!

I hope you find a smartphone you love. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

EDIT: I do believe you get 30 to try the phone too. You can return it, though you may have to pay a restocking fee. Beats being stuck in a contract with it though. Good luck.
    Last edited by tcub; 01-09-11 at 07:21 PM.
    01-09-11 07:13 PM
    RIM updates are also required to go through carrier testing first.

01-10-11 07:26 PM
    RIM updates are also required to go through carrier testing first.

...But are still accessible. For instance I'm running 5.0.0.1030. Did it go through Verizon? No. There's I NO chance you can get Froyo on a Fascinate. Period. Developers need to create their own RIL for it to work. Until users are stuck waiting on the carrier. No thanks.

01-10-11 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD