I am not exactly sure how changing your home SID has any influence on the reported signal strength on your phone. You are still going to connect to the same tower. Sounds like the placebo effect (aka, the *228 effect)
    07-19-09 12:56 AM
    So it seems like the only people who should go through this is anyone having trouble with signal strength yes?
    07-19-09 01:01 AM
    This will only help you in rare circumstances. The home SID just tries to help the device find where it's at in the country, and it starts there in the PRL looking for a network to "join". If the SID is NEG'd, or pretty far down in the PRL section for that area, this will do you no good. VZ puts a lot of effort into their PRLs, not too sure about sprint. However, if you have QPST and know how to read a PRL, you can move things around and set your home SID accordingly to get you better signal (assuming there is a better CDMA channel in your area than the one your PRL is set to use). I did this before VZ and alltel merged, because VZ had no signal (at all) at my house, and Alltell was running about -90db.
    I orignally got my VZW phones in NY, so I still have NY phone numbers. But now I live in NC. At my home, I get pretty bad reception, but alltel poeple seem good. CAn anyone guide me to the best settings for me? Anyway to include alltel towers for my phone?
    07-19-09 08:26 AM
    Backup your BB, including third party apps:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

Edit your home SID number and post back with results.

FYI, my Home SID is 60 not 00060. So you may want to edit yours to 139
    Everyone seems to not be really reading my original post although I have now clarified the proper ##000000 send to get into your Manual CDMA setting screen to edit your Home "SID" number.

You CANNOT edit it to whatever you want to. You MUST call verizon and ask them to make sure the switch and your phone acct according to your area code of the number you have is set up properly, When you open it up you will most likely see a 2 digit number which they will replace with a 5 digit number and then save. You will now have the correct number to strengthen your ability to get better Tower signal and that is it.

Thank you
    07-19-09 09:56 AM
    My service stunk both ways. Actually worse after changing it. It even said searching for signal. Anyone try calling VZW to complain about dropped calls and to see if maybe they will give a cheap or free network extender? 300 is hefty to use my 50 a month internet connection to make my 100 a month cell phone actually work... They should give them away free to extend their network off the backbone of their paying customers... More money for them if more peole can use it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 10:27 AM
    Guys, the Home SID is set when you do a *228 opt 1 or *22899 OTA programming. It is set to your appropriate area based on what's listed on your account for your home area location. Since VZW has recently been changing around it's tower layouts due to the Alltel buyout, some of the Home SIDs have changed, but the changes (sometimes) have not made it all the way up to be included in the current OTA programming. So, while some "may" have a positive experience from this, not all will. It really depends on if your Home SID really did change or not and if VZW has updated it's local OTA programming for it or not.
    07-19-09 10:28 AM
    My issue with the home location is that I have a 201 NJ number but have been living in Las vegas for 6 years... My sId is defaulting to 22 which is Nj and yes that's correct for my number but its not my true "home" location. I'd change my number but my parents are in NJ attached to my account and I'm told I wouldn't be able to do this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 10:39 AM
    I called Tech support, and the guy was a ****.

He's like, "Well, changing anything in there isn't gonna fix a thing!"

I'm like, "My friend had something edited on there and he said it truly increased his reception."

"As I mentioned, that's not going to fix anything. Plus, we can't guarantee service indoors at all."

Haha great. So I have to go OUTSIDE to make a phone call. But in all seriousness, I have seen a significant decrease in coverage on the Tour than I had on my old Curve.

Pretty sad considering its "new technology"
    no cell carrier can gaurantee service indoors. vzw happens to have the best indoor because the part of the spectrum their signals run on is better at building penetration than others
    07-19-09 10:59 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD