I played with a new Curve in the store, which I know is not the same as the Tour, but it does have the same shape on the keys themselves. I've gotten used to typing on my 8330 Curve using my fingernails...but they do slide around a bit. I've never really been able to use my thumb pad on these little keys.

I don't think using the fingernails is even an option with the new key shape. My fingers were sliding all over the place. But the other thing I noticed was that when I tried to use my thumb pads, my nails would touch the "bump" from another key. It was a dummy phone so I might be concerning myself about nothing...but the short question is...are any ladies out there with fingernails (heck, or men) concerned about using the Tour keyboard?
    07-08-09 06:30 PM
    I've used the Bold keyboard and it was quite easy. Like any new device, it'll take some getting used too. Much better than the Storm
    07-08-09 06:36 PM
    I've used the Bold keyboard and it was quite easy. Like any new device, it'll take some getting used too. Much better than the Storm
    Glad for the reassurance. While I was having issues with the nails hitting the bumps of other keys, I also noticed that with that bump on the key it was much easier to tactiley (is that a word) tell if I had hit the intended key. I think once I get that down I'll be good to go. I do find the 8330 keyboard to be very frustrating at times. About the only time it's not is when I have broken a nail.

And wow...I'll BET it's better than typing on a storm.
    07-08-09 07:04 PM
    Yeah I was concerned at first but at this point it can't get any worst than the Storm lol
    07-08-09 07:06 PM
    Fingernails have never been a problem for me. I even had the storm and it was never a problem for me on that. I can type pretty fast on my curve. I have been getting my nails done for 10 years and had a lot of cell phones in that amount of time.
    07-08-09 07:19 PM
    I'm not worried.
    07-08-09 07:21 PM
    I played around with the storm and had problems because of my nails - very frustrating. I also considered the curve at one point, but went to the store on several occasions and didn't like the cramped keyboard, plus my nails didn't help. I never really thought about it with the tour since everyone has been raving about the keyboard; hope it's not an issue.
    07-08-09 07:37 PM
    The keys on the Tour should be a heck of a lot easier to use than the Palm Pre! I went to Sprint and played around with one and all I could think was, boy I could never get use to these hard small keys! Hopefully I will be able to pick up things quickly w/ the Tour :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 08:01 PM
    i'm concerned about typing on the Tour with big fingers
    07-08-09 08:08 PM
    I have had the curve 8330 since may of '08. I've never had a problem with my long nails and typing. I just use the inside corner of my thumbs acrylic nails.
    It's my desktop at work thats hard to type on. ( Laptop at home) I just wish pc's would have bb style typing. I'm forever double spacing on my pc's for a period or not typing in an apostrophe. Then I'm all duh... I'm not on my bb!!!

so Nope, not worried at all about my nails and my new tour, I think they'll get along just fine.
    07-08-09 08:14 PM
    Its actually more like the Bold with the keys themselves, just a little less roomy. You may want to head over to an AT&T store and try one of their display Bolds and see how you like it.
    07-08-09 08:58 PM
    I have had the curve 8330 since may of '08. I've never had a problem with my long nails and typing. I just use the inside corner of my thumbs acrylic nails.
    It's my desktop at work thats hard to type on. ( Laptop at home) I just wish pc's would have bb style typing. I'm forever double spacing on my pc's for a period or not typing in an apostrophe. Then I'm all duh... I'm not on my bb!!!

so Nope, not worried at all about my nails and my new tour, I think they'll get along just fine.
    That's me! I just get my nails squared and the use the corners.
    07-08-09 09:37 PM
    my girls phone(not a bb and she wont switch ARGH!!!) has similar keys to the bold/tour, but without the ridges, and she types on it just fine with her nails
    07-08-09 09:56 PM
    yea i have concerns too because i have some pretty big (and often jammed) thumbs, but i have been assured that as long as you a woman with extensively long press ons you shouldnt have a problem.

in my opinion, this keyboard isnt drastically different than any other mobil qwerty board, so base your choice off of another smartphone, or optimally, a Bold
    07-08-09 11:17 PM
    HaHa, me toooooo. When I had my 8310 I was in heaven. Typing was a breeze on that bad boy. My boss used to make fun of me because I would type so fast. I told him it was a sport

Now I'm in Storm **** and it's ruining my social life. I NEED A QWERTY!!! Lol
    07-09-09 08:05 AM
    My nails fluctuate, longer in winter, shorter in summer (avid gardener here).
    Whiz bank typist on a keyboard, total klutz on my Curve 8330. After almost 6 months I've yet to get good at typing on it. I have to do it one handed and hit the keys with the edge of my thumb or thumbnail. Still lots of errors.

Tried a Bold at AT&T and wooeee, my fingers flew across those keys like my 12 yr old niece when she's texting. Comfortably, easy, and best of all no errors! Did feel like I was stretching a bit to get to far right keys tho. (I'm left-handed). Haven't mastered the two handed typing on a berry, either.

I tried a Curve 8900 at T-mobile the other day. As I understand it it's smaller than the Tour keyboard (IOW Tour falls between Bold & 8900). On the 8900 it was better than Curve 8330, but not nearly as good as Bold, keys were too scrunched for me.

So I'm thinking the Tour will be a winner in the keyboard area for sure!
    07-09-09 08:44 AM
    But bear in mind Bold is much bigger in size also so the proportion is just right for Tour if you wish.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 09:33 AM
    I'm feeling much better about my potential typing speed/improvement on the Tour now. I've managed to get at least efficient on the 8330 keyboard. I think I originally tried using my thumb sides but ended up using nails because I kept hitting the return key prematurely. I definitely think I would be able to type faster if I was using the sides of my thumbs versus nails.

3 more days.....
    07-09-09 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD