Hello,

A friend of mine has an unlocked bell Blackberry 9630 Tour for use on the Rogers network.

The issue is, caller ID seems to only work for some callers even if they're settings are set to push the caller ID (tested with another phone). So when some users call the Tour, it shows up as unknown number while displaying the correct number if calling a different phone.

I've tried the content enabling, battery pulls, just hoping someone else has a solution?

I've searched the forums and the closest discussion that came up was:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/an...ovider-285493/

Unfortunately no solution was found there.

Edit: Scoured to the ends of the internet and found the solution. Basically CDMA phones don't have the same Name Display service as GSM phones and so if your GSM network (such as Rogers) has Name Display, some numbers will show up as Unknown Number. Call your carrier and disable Name Display and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by agadgetgeek; 08-13-09 at 01:47 PM.
    08-05-09 08:20 AM
    I don't see a reason why it would block the caller ID, unless the other phone is doing it or the way the person is dialing they blocked it. It doesn't make sense.
    08-05-09 08:26 AM
    You know all these problems on unlocked Tours while using GSM... I wonder if it's all traceable to the SIM card size issue.

How old is the Rogers SIM card?
    08-05-09 08:32 AM
    Or unless you're not subscribed to caller ID, which would make everyone show up as Unknown Caller. Aside from that, this was discussed yesterday I think, but I don't remember where the thread was.
    08-05-09 08:40 AM
    Or unless you're not subscribed to caller ID, which would make everyone show up as Unknown Caller. Aside from that, this was discussed yesterday I think, but I don't remember where the thread was.
    I thought that too but he said it works for some callers and not others and the ones it doesn't work for work when they call other people.

Does it actually show unknown caller or just their number and doesn't match it to the phone book? If it shows the number and doesn't show the name in the contacts list could it be the contact is listed in the SIM phone book?
    08-05-09 08:44 AM
    I don't see a reason why it would block the caller ID, unless the other phone is doing it or the way the person is dialing they blocked it. It doesn't make sense.
    Doesn't make sense to me either, which is why I'm asking around hehe.

You know all these problems on unlocked Tours while using GSM... I wonder if it's all traceable to the SIM card size issue.

How old is the Rogers SIM card?
    That's what I was thinking. Perhaps the phone doesn't have the all the service books that Rogers normally requires or something? If that's the case does anyone know how to get them onto a non-Rogers phone?

I linked to that original thread. And I've googled for solutions as mentioned but none that worked. The phone is subscribed to Caller ID as mentioned in the post as well and SOME numbers work while others show up as "unknown number".

I thought that too but he said it works for some callers and not others and the ones it doesn't work for work when they call other people.

Does it actually show unknown caller or just their number and doesn't match it to the phone book? If it shows the number and doesn't show the name in the contacts list could it be the contact is listed in the SIM phone book?
    Yes it shows up as unknown number completely. No matching. However there is the whocalled service which will text me with the number of the one if I don't answer the call. Not very practical though as I don't want to screen my calls like that.

Thanks to everyone so far.
    08-05-09 12:25 PM
    try to see if you accidentally put DoNotDisturb in your Ringtone settings

I did that once and all calls came in as unknown caller and hung up a second after coming in
    08-05-09 12:33 PM
    No that wasn't it =(.
    08-05-09 09:34 PM
    Seems like the issue was that Name Display doesn't work with the CDMA devices like the Tour or the Storm. So if anyone else has this problem, call your GSM carrier and tell them to remove the Name Display service.
    08-13-09 01:42 PM
    So what your saying is, if I subscribe to caller id from rogers, and running an unlocked Tour... call Rogers and disable the caller id service? Won't that stop the numbers from being displyed?
    08-13-09 08:20 PM
    So what your saying is, if I subscribe to caller id from rogers, and running an unlocked Tour... call Rogers and disable the caller id service? Won't that stop the numbers from being displyed?
    Name Display != Caller ID
    08-30-09 12:29 AM
    I had the same problem........I cancelled the caller ID and now I dont get unkown numbers any more
    Last edited by Rabdak; 09-01-09 at 07:25 AM.
    09-01-09 06:53 AM
    I had the same problem........I cancelled the caller ID and now I dont get unkown numbers any more
    Hey! I found this thread and have the EXACT same issue with my Verizon Tour on the Rogers Network. Did that work, disabling caller ID? If so I will do it immediately, I cant' stand not knowing who is calling...lol
    10-16-09 11:48 AM
    One other thing you may want to try is to insert the area code in your contact. This should resolve it
    10-16-09 01:18 PM
    i have the exact same problem, but this "Name Display != Caller ID" remove didn't solve my problem.

It just literally took of caller id, meaning all numbers started showing up unknown
    11-02-09 09:02 AM
    As per the edit from the original post, does that fix actually work? I don't want to go ahead and cancel my caller ID if this hasn't worked for people.
    11-12-09 01:22 PM
    I'm getting the same problem. I'll caller Rogers tomorrow and see if I can disable the name display but keep caller ID.

From what I've gather

caller ID = just the number
    name display = the name associated to the number
    11-24-09 01:25 AM
    Did you have any luck?
    11-24-09 03:56 PM
    I have the SAME problem with my storm. I went to a wireless store today. He told me that Rogers has the software.. and its not possible :S. Its a real **** off!
    05-18-10 09:34 PM
    I have the SAME problem with my storm. I went to a wireless store today. He told me that Rogers has the software.. and its not possible to fix it :S. Its a real **** off!
    05-18-10 10:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD