I know that the 9630's keyboard design is the Bold/88xx style, with the keys right next to each other. I personally think that the Curve (83xx/8900) style is WAY better for typing.

What's generally more efficient and reliable? What's the general concensus as to which is better? Several factors like; typing with ease, typing speed, the "clicking" feeling, button size, typing errors, cleaning the keys, sturdiness, etc.

It would've been PERFECT if the 9630 had the separated keys layout. Well, I guess RIM is just trying to follow the model trend. (Curve vs. Bold/88xx)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 10:13 PM
    I also prefer the spaced-out clicky Curve keys over the contiguos squishy 8800 keys. I remember reading somewhere (I think it was BGR) that the 9630 keys were more clicky than the Bold/8800. Can anyone confirm this?
    03-29-09 11:06 PM
    Yea I also love the spacious keys on the Curve, the keys on the Bold/88XX are too clustered for my liking, but if that's the way it is going to be on the 9630, I will have to get used to it. I adapt to stuff, which is only right

03-29-09 11:11 PM
    I had a curve and then the bold, and much prefer the bold's keyboard. The click the curve made drove me crazy like it was a small toy, the bold is less loud but still gives feedback. As for the spacing, I think it's easier to type on larger keys closer together than on smaller keys spread apart.

03-30-09 12:29 AM
    i think the niagra has a different coating on the keys, something a little "tackier" that almost "holds" on to you thumbs a bit. or maybe just not as slick of a coating.
    03-30-09 02:27 AM
    I completely and totally 110% agree with Tekneakz. I love the Bolds keyboard much more than the Curves. The simple fact they are bigger, at least in my eyes, allows for faster typing. I too agree the Curve feels like a toy after using the Bold. The 9630's keyboard is basically the exact same as the Bolds. Only smaller. And I believe those of you who get one will fall in love with the keyboard, as have I. This is one of the few times I agree with BGR. The keyboard is great. I'm not sure if I agree that its the best ever, but it very well may be. Sometimes when using it I wish the keyboard was as big as the Bolds, and at times I think its the perfect size. Regardless, it will not disappoint.

03-30-09 05:33 AM
    To be honest, I haven't really fully tried out the Bold's keyboard up to its true use, however I have seen AND felt the keys, as I tested out the display models at a Rogers store.

I came out the store afterwards with a Curve 8900. I just LOVED the Curve's keyboard much better with its feeling AND the overall look won me over. Although, two weeks later, I returned the phone and backed out of my new contract from Rogers because as we Canadians all know, they are the biggest rip-offs in history, coupled with the worst customer service. So, I went back to TELUS where I had the Storm fiasco, and then later on getting the 8330 in the end.

Long story short, I may be biased since I haven't really owned a Bold or 88xx, but just by the looks of it, I'll be surely trying out the 9630 in a few months.

03-30-09 08:32 AM
    I think it is just a personal preference. You have the option of the previous generation choices between the 8330 and 8830WE, and the upcoming 9630 and 8900 series phones. Some people prefer the Curve style; some the Bold.

Personally, I found the Curve's keyboard was easy to recognize the buttons by touch, but the bubbly feeling just got to my fingers when typing a lot. The 8830's keyboard was more to my liking, and I can run my fingers quickly around it keyboard without feeling like I am reading braile. That's just my personal preference.
    03-30-09 08:51 AM
    Going from 7230 to 7100x to 8703 to 8100 to 8800 to 8300 to 8310 to 9000 to 8900 I have gone back and forth between the keyboard styles and I can use all equally well. However I prefer the tighter 'Bold style' keys. They just seem 'smoother' to type on.
    03-30-09 08:57 AM
    Yeah I have had all released qwerty keyboards this gen except for the 8900 but when I played with it in the store I felt the keys were way to close together and it would be to hard to fly like u can on the bold. I love the ability to just go and not make mistakes that u get with the bold and I think so much of that has to do with the real estate that it has.

03-30-09 12:35 PM
    I think the curve is easier to type on since the keys are separated from one another but I like the bigger keys on the bold better, also easier on the fingers when typing for a long time
    03-30-09 01:13 PM
    try the curve with the case-mate smart skin on it! Thats the best combination of keyboard in my view! I wish the keyboard was like this but without the skin on it.

Also, wouldn't the screen be larger should the keyboard sit just a bit lower to the device? That might of added precious mm's to the screen thats already a lot smaller than the storm
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-30-09 at 09:54 PM.
    03-30-09 02:41 PM
    So I'm getting mix opinions about the keyboard styling.. I have yet to try the Bold-setting keys, so I guess I'll have to wait for this beast device, 9630.

As far as rumors are going, it's gonna be a mid-summer release for TELUS/Bell, and a bit after for Verizon. Late May to July.

03-30-09 07:41 PM
    I definitely prefer the Curves' keyboard over the Bold It just feels better
    03-30-09 07:44 PM
    There we go.. Haha!

03-30-09 08:02 PM
    Oh YAY! I think the rumors about the CDMA version of the 8900 Curve is true! I just hope the release date on this is not too far off.

It does make sense to have a so-called, "8930" anyway.. The 83xx series was offered to both GSM and CDMA carriers, so I don't see why the 2nd gen Curve wouldn't be released as well for CDMA, seeing as it is basically an upgraded 8330.

03-31-09 08:27 PM
    This is a great question.

Just going off speculation I would assume it would be pretty similar to the Bolds. Which for me would be perfect. I like the kb on my Curve but after handling the Bold for a few minutes I could tell a big difference right away (as in good)

03-31-09 08:43 PM
    I had a curve and then the bold, and much prefer the bold's keyboard. The click the curve made drove me crazy like it was a small toy, the bold is less loud but still gives feedback. As for the spacing, I think it's easier to type on larger keys closer together than on smaller keys spread apart.

I agree. Bolds keyboard is way better.

03-31-09 09:29 PM
    So far, people been saying that Bold's keyboard is better. Looks like I'll give it a shot with the 9630, if it's not my liking, then I just wait for the 8930.

03-31-09 11:17 PM
    either way, the 9630 keyboard can't be that bad even if the bold were slightly more comfortable. In any case, I still like the slimmer profile and overall design of the 9630 better than the bold. I hate that battery door tho, EWWWWW! Who dreamed that up???
    04-01-09 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD