I'm new to BB but gotta say I'm lovin it,...compared to my Palm treo windows.

On my Tour, it's a funny yhing that when I'm typing..ina "any" ap, sometimes the keyboard is backlit, sometimes not...and sometimes it just ...fades..even when typing. (kinda bad in low light). looked for settings to keep keyboard lit while typing...can't find.

Anybody help?

Thanks
    07-26-09 03:16 PM
    If you go in to Options> Screen/Keyboard there is a setting for "Auto Dim Backlight", that's the closest I can find for you, but that's for the screen. I've got the same issue and I don't like either.
    07-26-09 03:22 PM
    Keyboard backlight and lcd backlight brightness are based on the light sensor in the notification LED.. unfortunately if your bb is facing a strong light even in a poorly lit room it runs the chance of turning the keyboard backlight off. Just the nature of the beast.
    07-26-09 03:22 PM
    IMHO this is unacceptable behavior. Example: dark restaurant with dim overhead light. Keyboard backlight turns off, seemingly at random, rendering the device unusable in the middle of a message. Should be a simple software setting.
    07-27-09 01:41 AM
    Put your finger over the led to bring the backlighting back up... Shouldn't have to. I know, but it has kept the issue from bothering me in those situations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 02:02 AM
    My biggest issue with BB. I wish they had an option to keep keyboard lit with screen. No idea why they don't do this.
    07-27-09 02:04 AM
    Well, I did just learn that the sensor was in the LED. Thanks
    07-27-09 02:32 AM
    Yeah, if the sensor sees that the amount of light is adequate to read the keys without the backlight, then it will turn off. If you put a finger over the LED for a second the backlight will turn back on because it thinks the room is pitch black. I wish there was a way to make it so that when you're typing the keyboard backlight stays on no matter what.
    07-27-09 03:44 AM
    The finger-over-the-sensor workaround is "adequate" except that

a) I can't see for squat anymore in poorly-lit environments and don't want to have to stop typing so I can cover it up (the less I type while in a restaurant, the less likely I am to get whaled on by my wife...) and

b) the whole issue shows a lack of field testing on the part of BB - at least in my case the sensor does not operate either consistently or linearly. And I don't think I'm doing anything that shouldn't be considered "reasonable operation."

If only they'd put a couple software settings in place (or even a simple on/off setting) for people who don't still possess cats' eyes.
    07-27-09 03:43 PM
    all blackberrys are like this... if your keyboard is on full tiem ur battery would not even last half a day which is why they make them the way they do. if your in bad lighting, just put slide ur finger over the LED light and the kays will turn bright again for a little bit
    07-27-09 03:46 PM
    My keyboard backlight (on my first tour) would shut off in the dark while texting. My new keyboard seems to adjust to light. So I would just pay close attention to it and make good judgements.
    07-27-09 03:55 PM
    Keyboard backlight and lcd backlight brightness are based on the light sensor in the notification LED.. unfortunately if your bb is facing a strong light even in a poorly lit room it runs the chance of turning the keyboard backlight off. Just the nature of the beast.
    The sensor is not actually over the LED...it is slighty up & to left the BB logo on the top of the phone.
    10-07-14 02:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD