Just thought of this possibility. The Tour that we know of is basically a Storm 1 with a qwerty. With all the rumors of something called the "Atlas" could it be possible that RIM is making a phone that is the same concept as the Tour except with the Storm 2? Possibly a phone that has a qwerty and wifi?

Sorry if someone already brought this up, just came to me.
    05-21-09 04:46 PM
    Just thought of this possibility. The Tour that we know of is basically a Storm 1 with a qwerty. With all the rumors of something called the "Atlas" could it be possible that RIM is making a phone that is the same concept as the Tour except with the Storm 2? Possibly a phone that has a qwerty and wifi?

Sorry if someone already brought this up, just came to me.

could be possible no one knows...

truthfully I will tell you one thing. when shopping for a phone there will always be phones around the corner so at some point you have to buy one or you will never have one

Its hard to say what the Atlas is as no one really knows much about it at this point.
    05-21-09 04:51 PM
    Possible.

Marketing wise I don't see it making much sense to release two nearly identical devices at the same time on the same network. Maybe Tour will be on VZW and "Atlas" on another network. Or they just skip "Niagara" and release the "Atlas" as Tour 9630.
    05-21-09 04:52 PM
    Possible.

Marketing wise I don't see it making much sense to release two nearly identical devices at the same time on the same network. Maybe Tour will be on VZW and "Atlas" on another network. Or they just skip "Niagara" and release the "Atlas" as Tour 9630.
    I think this would make more sense. Unless the device was a major upgrade or even a lower end device its more probable.
    05-21-09 04:57 PM
    This is all just speculation since the Atlas is only referenced in one place and shrouded in mystery right now. While it would be nice to think it is the phone we've all been waiting for, RIM seems to always be working on new phones and it wouldn't surprise me to know that since they seem to have finished the design of the Tour, that they are beginning to work on other designs and technical aspects of future phones.

and to continue on with the conversation about the Atlas and Tour, the Atlas could very well be a camera-less version of the Tour that contains Wi-Fi as well as some cheaper parts so it can appeal to a lower-end market. That would be my guess
    05-21-09 05:04 PM
    This is all just speculation since the Atlas is only referenced in one place and shrouded in mystery right now. While it would be nice to think it is the phone we've all been waiting for, RIM seems to always be working on new phones and it wouldn't surprise me to know that since they seem to have finished the design of the Tour, that they are beginning to work on other designs and technical aspects of future phones.

and to continue on with the conversation about the Atlas and Tour, the Atlas could very well be a camera-less version of the Tour that contains Wi-Fi as well as some cheaper parts so it can appeal to a lower-end market. That would be my guess
    Actually I think that your theory is more likely than mine. I have seen some things here on CB and BGR (actual articles, not just forms) that have said that there will be another device coming out very close to the Tour, and in a separate article that said that there will be a camera-less Tour. Maybe its not a lower end version, just a Tour with no camera plus wifi? The wifi would make sense on the no camera since corporations would benefit as their buildings are mostly wifi.
    05-21-09 05:08 PM
    Actually I think that your theory is more likely than mine. I have seen some things here on CB and BGR (actual articles, not just forms) that have said that there will be another device coming out very close to the Tour, and in a separate article that said that there will be a camera-less Tour. Maybe its not a lower end version, just a Tour with no camera plus wifi? The wifi would make sense on the no camera since corporations would benefit as their buildings are mostly wifi.
    ...as well as the fact that many businesses won't adapt a phone unless it doesn't have a camera. Cameras = bad for business.

Also, I think the removal of the camera would give RIM more than enough room to add wi-fi, and some room to spare. What else could they put in there? a LTE antenna? I'm just saying it doesn't make much sense that that would be the only thing to remove, unless they change a bit of the product design in order to use that room to make the phone thinner.
    05-21-09 05:14 PM
    It very well could be that they are just taking out only the camera though. Isn't that what is happening with Sprint's 8350i?
    05-21-09 05:24 PM
    It very well could be that they are just taking out only the camera though. Isn't that what is happening with Sprint's 8350i?
    No, the 8350i has a camera. The difference between that phone and other Curves is that it has the Push2Talk capabilities that Sprint loves to tout. Other than that, I don't think the 8350i is any different from any other curve.
    05-21-09 05:33 PM
    No, the 8350i has a camera. The difference between that phone and other Curves is that it has the Push2Talk capabilities that Sprint loves to tout. Other than that, I don't think the 8350i is any different from any other curve.
    I saw on the front page of CB that they were coming out with a new version of the 8350i that did not have a camera a while back.
    05-21-09 06:32 PM
    Sprint/Nextel specifically has an 8350i with and without a camera.
    05-21-09 06:37 PM
    I will say that I am waiting for the Tour to be officially talked about. I have a third line just dying for it lol. You all have brought up some very good points on this issue. IMO they might release the "Niagara" Tour first to judge feedback and sales then probe corporations to see if they want the "Atlas". My biggest fear is what I call the GM effect, which is releasing to many devices and flooding the market.
    05-21-09 06:55 PM
    I will say that I am waiting for the Tour to be officially talked about. I have a third line just dying for it lol. You all have brought up some very good points on this issue. IMO they might release the "Niagara" Tour first to judge feedback and sales then probe corporations to see if they want the "Atlas". My biggest fear is what I call the GM effect, which is releasing to many devices and flooding the market.
    Somehow I don't think they will do this. I feel like while RIM supports a lot of phones, it has three or four main phones on each network that are still in production/advertisements. Three or four phones isn't so bad when you think about how many phones LG and Samsung have so many phones just on one network. Of course, RIM is more of a one trick pony in a sense that you know exactly what you are getting with a blackberry compared to how every LG phone is basically different in shape, size, and functionality.

The tour should be replacing the 8830 on Verizon and this stays within the 3 or 4 BB's per carrier. I am not as sure about other carriers though, I don't keep track of others as much.
    05-21-09 07:17 PM
    The truth is whatever the atlas is they aren't going to halt production on a device after they see sales of a previous one.

Any good corporation has a business model..

They have many many phones there looking into making along with ones they are already currently making. I doubt the name atlas would exist if its was a IF THE SALES GO GOOD WE MAKE it phone.
    05-21-09 07:29 PM
    I am starting to think that the Atlas will be a map that Verizon gives out with the Tour so that they can point to it and say, "Your phone will work here and here and here and......"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 10:38 PM
    I am starting to think that the Atlas will be a map that Verizon gives out with the Tour so that they can point to it and say, "Your phone will work here and here and here and......"

hahahaha it would have to be quite a big size book.... and would probably cost to much money.. sorry couldn't resist
    05-21-09 10:41 PM

Instant Rimshot

...that is all.
    05-21-09 11:40 PM
    Instant Rimshot

...that is all.

ohh ohhh that site rocks bookmarked!
    05-21-09 11:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD