I've let my tour charge for the past 4 hours and have a white screen with a grey and black battery with a red slash down the center of it. I took it off the charge and tried to turn it on, and no luck. Im a blackberry newb, this is my first blackberry so yeah! Is this completely normal, and when will i know that my battery is completely charged? This wait is almost as bad as waiting for the tour to actually arrive at my house since ordering on Sunday AM!
    07-14-09 04:32 PM
    If the battery and phone are anything like the Storm, the initial charge takes approximately 10 to 14 hours.

Make sure the phone is completely charged (with bolt icon gone) before use.
    07-14-09 04:42 PM
    It doesnt matter anymore. New lithium ion batteries do not have "memory" like the old batteries used to, so it isnt a big deal. You can throw it on there for 10 minutes or so if you want and then use it.
    07-14-09 05:02 PM
    It doesnt matter anymore. New lithium ion batteries do not have "memory" like the old batteries used to, so it isnt a big deal. You can throw it on there for 10 minutes or so if you want and then use it.
    +1, you are correct. Have no fear OP.
    07-14-09 05:04 PM
    I was a bad boy. I bought mine at the beginning of my shift on sunday, and didn't get home to start charging it till 7 hours later. It was showing the "low battery" warning and had no bars on the battery symbol, but it lasted. And I used it a lot, being my first time with any BB.

Took around 3-5 hours on the wall charger to bring it from near-death to full.
    07-14-09 05:10 PM
    I bought a spare battery, fully charged it on Saturday. On Sunday, I went into the VZW store with a fully charged battery and swapped it out for the one that came in the box because I knew I would use up a lot of power with a nice new toy like this.

With age comes wisdom.
    07-14-09 05:15 PM
    did anyone read the fact that he said he tried to turn it on and had no luck?

op pull the battery out of the phone for 30 seconds then plop it back in and see if it boots up

you should be able to turn it on..
    Pff I just plug in an go,, ^ what he said..
    When I got mine the vz rep told me it didn't have to be fully charged to use it. I used it with what battery it had til it died, then I charged it a little to get me by til I went to bed, then let it charge overnight. So you should be fine to use it with whatever charge it has!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 05:17 PM
    i just used it for an hour or so when i just got it and then charged it - took about a few hours for full.
    07-14-09 05:20 PM
    I've let my tour charge for the past 4 hours and have a white screen with a grey and black battery with a red slash down the center of it. I took it off the charge and tried to turn it on, and no luck. Im a blackberry newb, this is my first blackberry so yeah! Is this completely normal, and when will i know that my battery is completely charged? This wait is almost as bad as waiting for the tour to actually arrive at my house since ordering on Sunday AM!
    That, my friend, sounds like a bad battery. It happened to me a few times when I had my storm and I was using extended batteries not made by RIM. It happened twice I think and twice I had to return the battery for new ones.

That is definitely not normal. I would try to pull the battery like noaim said and then see what happens but either way I'd probably take it back to the store and get a new device or new battery. Something like that shouldn't be happening and it could be due to a bad battery or battery leakage. You don't want to let something like that just slide. It is a new device and the battery shouldn't be toasted like that. Both times that happened to me my phone was on a full charge and would not hold a charge after that happened.

As for the question of how long you should charge it initially...

the lithium ion batteries do not have a memory that is correct. You can charge it whenever and for however long you feel like charging it. I charge my phones every night, all night, no matter what the battery tells me.

However, to receive maximum power from your battery it needs to be charged consistently for at least the first couple of days. The first day or so you might notice the battery not lasting as long as it should but after about 3 days to a week you should see a vast improvement in battery life.

Any other problems feel free to ask

But I would definitely get that battery checked out before it becomes more of a problem.
    07-14-09 05:26 PM
    I checked every thing on google but nothing helps. I purchased a bb tour 9630 online, I have been charging it for 3 hours , LED is on but cant open the cell. so my question is how long do I need to charge the battery initially? and why is it not opening? this is my second bb phone. and I find it so weird. help!!! my curve 8520 is also spoil that says reset application on the grey screen????????
    02-19-14 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD