Hey All!

So I've been lurking on the site for awhile, and I haven't seen any mention of this, so if someone has said it before, don't jump on me? Deal okay cool thanks!

I was sending an email and I mistyped the, putting teh and as you all know the tour changes it to the correct spelling automatically.

I thought that I could have some fun/experiment with this, so I went into auto text and I created MANY 'shortcuts' for use while typing.

For example:
    r = are
    u = you
    wya = where you at?
    nw = no worries
    more too, but those are just examples of what you can do

I figure I would make all the words and phrases I use commonly shorter to type making the tour a faster and easier to use device.

This works in textmessages, emails, calendar entries, etc.

Hope this helps someone as much as the stuff you post helps me!
    08-10-09 08:49 PM
    Thanks, those are nice short cuts!
    08-10-09 08:58 PM
    Yea I do the same as well. I normally delete all the ones i wouldnt use then add a few of my own. Also works for shortcuts for email address.
    08-10-09 09:01 PM
    Pure genius!
    Thanks

y=Why
    c=see

Any one know of how to have "?" automatically placed at the end of a sentence that starts with a "who, why, what, when" when double spacing? I am sure there is a way.
    08-10-09 09:03 PM
    If you want to you can make it so

who = who?
    why = why?

if you put the auto text to add a character it will put it just like it was a word or text. (does that make sense?)

oh and my personal favorite shorcut is
    sf = smiley face
    wf = winky face
    08-10-09 09:06 PM
    If you want to you can make it so

who = who?
    why = why?

if you put the auto text to add a character it will put it just like it was a word or text. (does that make sense?)
    Yeah but how would you get it at the end of a sentence eg. "who is coming to the party?"

I know I am lazy...
    08-10-09 09:12 PM
    I can't answer that for you haha I have tried to think of ways myself (equally lazy I assume) so I finally made it so that if I press v twice it makes a question mark

vv = ?
    08-10-09 09:13 PM
    I can't answer that for you haha I have tried to think of ways myself (equally lazy I assume) so I finally made it so that if I press v twice it makes a question mark

vv = ?
    Good idea! THanks
    08-10-09 09:15 PM
    Yeah but how would you get it at the end of a sentence eg. "who is coming to the party?"

I know I am lazy...
    I can't recall all of the autotext rules but maybe you can enter:

"w ?"

For "Why" and then the space character then the Question Mark and then move the cursor back in front of the question mark so you can keep typing. But then you have to scroll past it - forget the whole thing (G)
    08-10-09 09:29 PM
    Great ideas on the shortcuts. My personal favorite is replacing bb with blackberry. (Just copy it and paste it if you want it).

There was also a mention one time of using the auto text for different types of signatures......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 10:41 AM
    Are there other "hidden" symbols. I do have my blackberry shortcut for bb replacing it with the symbol for Blackberry. I copied it from the forum. But how do you generate it and others in the first place?
    08-11-09 10:48 AM
    Pretty kool thanks alot

08-11-09 11:30 AM
    These are great... and I though of doing this before (there is another thread somewhere about this). But in order to save characters in an SMS, I choose to leave it as "r" instead of "are" or y instead of "why". Every little bit helps with only 160 characters. Just an FYI to others thinking about this.
    08-11-09 11:32 AM
    Clever idea! Kudos OP!

08-11-09 11:34 AM
    These are great... and I though of doing this before (there is another thread somewhere about this). But in order to save characters in an SMS, I choose to leave it as "r" instead of "are" or y instead of "why". Every little bit helps with only 160 characters. Just an FYI to others thinking about this.
    very true!

thanks too OP!!!
    08-11-09 11:38 AM
    Great post OP

08-11-09 11:43 AM
    my autotext is loaded with tons of short cuts. When typing lots of emails it really cuts down on typing time and helps everything look more professional when typing in a hurry
    08-11-09 11:44 AM
    this is good stuff! I thought about messing with autotext early on, but I figured it would get too confusing and it's unnecessary, but after reading this you motivated me to start playing with it. Now after adding those hints, its definitely easier, and every word i type I find myself thinking of what I could put to abbreviate it.

P.s. the thing about the vv being question mark, how does that work? I did it, but you have to have a space inbetween the word and the vv in order for the question mark to pop up, which make the ? a space away from the word which I think looks funny. Is there a way around this? What are some more shortcuts, lets build a big library!
    08-11-09 11:44 AM
    I recommend the BB training series from Learning Made Simple. It's been featured on CB. They walk you through this in a chapter called "Saving Time with Auto Text". I think it's great. One example they site is adding "dir" to your auto text as a set of directions to your house Ex: 1.Take I95 West to exit 23, 2.Turn Right at the stoplight on 10th st. etc etc. There are tons more of hidden treasures in it as well. They mention macros you can add hitting the menu key and selecting "add macro" for things like Time stamps, your phone #, Date stamps, etc. There is SOOO much you can do with this it is unreal. They go a lot deeper than the standard user manual. I normally wouldn't plug a book you gotta buy but this thing is loaded with tips and tricks. You'd even be surprised how much of the basic functionality you have been missing about the phone (kinda like this auto text feature). Again, this is why I love BB. Good job on sharing this with the community.
    Some I thought of:
    addy: my mailing address
    eaddy: my email address
    fwd: forward
    Last edited by bigwill5150; 08-11-09 at 12:05 PM.
    08-11-09 11:52 AM
    I created a few txt shortcuts as well but I realy only remember the 2 I use the most.

The two I use regularly are...

dvg = Driving, I'll get back to you shortly.

dvcl = Driving, give me a call or I will get
    back to you as soon as I can.
    08-11-09 12:01 PM
    wya = where you at?
    How about WYA = Where are you?

Do not end a sentence with a preposition.
    08-11-09 12:20 PM
    I've messed with autotext a long while back. My favorite on is using my initials to text out my long signature lines. I don't need it for every e-mail I send, but when I want the recipient to have all of my contact information, it's quite handy.
    08-11-09 12:53 PM
    How about this I tried to call my wife an @$$hole, and it changed it to Ashley, wasn't paying attention when I sent it out corrected, now my wife wants to know who Ashley is, and so do I. My phone is having an affair on me.
    08-11-09 12:56 PM
    How about this I tried to call my wife an @$$hole, and it changed it to Ashley, wasn't paying attention when I sent it out corrected, now my wife wants to know who Ashley is, and so do I. My phone is having an affair on me.
    LMFAO you might wanna add @$$hole to your custom dictionary.
    08-11-09 01:35 PM
    Hey All!

So I've been lurking on the site for awhile, and I haven't seen any mention of this, so if someone has said it before, don't jump on me? Deal okay cool thanks!

I was sending an email and I mistyped the, putting teh and as you all know the tour changes it to the correct spelling automatically.

I thought that I could have some fun/experiment with this, so I went into auto text and I created MANY 'shortcuts' for use while typing.

For example:
    r = are
    u = you
    wya = where you at?
    nw = no worries
    more too, but those are just examples of what you can do

I figure I would make all the words and phrases I use commonly shorter to type making the tour a faster and easier to use device.

This works in textmessages, emails, calendar entries, etc.

Hope this helps someone as much as the stuff you post helps me!

Yeah, I probably have over 100 auto-text entries. Half of them are symbols.
    08-11-09 01:54 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD