Just to let everyone know i changed over the wikipedia page to the name Tour if anyone cares lol just bored
    04-23-09 10:43 PM
    BlackBerry 9630 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow..is all I can say. Speculation, Rumors abound.
    04-24-09 04:00 AM
    Not impressed with the "tour"...wiki doesn't paint a good or exciting picture

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 04:40 AM
    I kind of get irritated by wikipedia simply because anyone anywhere can type anything about any subject so of course you are always getting the most reliable information
    05-06-09 03:34 PM
    I kind of get irritated by wikipedia simply because anyone anywhere can type anything about any subject so of course you are always getting the most reliable information
    What's more reliable - something that anyone can edit - or contest - and gets debated for resolution.

Or something where one person gets to decide whats right or wrong.

The open format is clearly going to more reliable in the long run. It's the only way to have both sides contribute to an arguement or contraversial subject.
    05-22-09 01:07 PM
    What's more reliable - something that anyone can edit - or contest - and gets debated for resolution.

Or something where one person gets to decide whats right or wrong.

The open format is clearly going to more reliable in the long run. It's the only way to have both sides contribute to an arguement or contraversial subject.

this may be true in theory however facts are facts and fiction is fiction..

on wikipedia there is a crap ton of fiction that is proving wrong all the time...

when it comes to technology in specific facts are facts its numbers so when you have a multitude millions of people typing all there technology of what they "think" is correct its not a fact and is very often messed up..

I much rather have some engineer who works with the things every day tell me the facts then some random internet people typing it up

05-22-09 04:03 PM
    Nice usage of a Michael Scott phrase!
    05-22-09 05:39 PM
    Nice usage of a Michael Scott phrase!

woohooooo someone recognized it! genius I laughed so hard when I heard it
    05-22-09 10:03 PM
    Funny thing is the Wikipedia states that its sister device is the curve 8900 when in fact stated many times by cx - it is meant to be the cdma variant of the blackberry bold..

so Wikipedia definitely is not on par here
    05-22-09 10:05 PM
    It is technologically more similar to the 9530 than anything, its form being more of a combination of the 8900 and the 9000... So I don't know that calling it a sister device of the 8900 or the 9000 is correct (or incorrect) in either case...

05-23-09 02:50 AM
    It is technologically more similar to the 9530 than anything, its form being more of a combination of the 8900 and the 9000... So I don't know that calling it a sister device of the 8900 or the 9000 is correct (or incorrect) in either case...

well - according to inside intel from the company its the cdma variant of the BOLD... even though it would seem more inline to be a replacement of the world edition..
    05-23-09 04:54 AM
    The sister device thing came from early rumors posted on BGR. They described the "niagara" as a sister device to the "javelin". The wikipedia page is wildly outdated. The good thing is, one of us can update it.

I don't know the rules about citing sources though. I wonder if crackberry and BGR qualify as sources.

05-23-09 10:42 PM
    The sister device thing came from early rumors posted on BGR. They described the "niagara" as a sister device to the "javelin". The wikipedia page is wildly outdated. The good thing is, one of us can update it.

I don't know the rules about citing sources though. I wonder if crackberry and BGR qualify as sources.

I don't think anyone is going to hit you for citing sources on a pre release device anyway haha
    05-23-09 11:01 PM
    To tell the truth, I don't really know that the Tour is enough like either the 8900 or the 9000 to call it a CDMA variant of either device. Initially, the Nigara codename was supposedly the "9030" and a Jupiter 8930 was rumored, however, the Jupiter just sort of faded away and the Nigara was re-numbered the 9630, putting it in it's own distinct model series. It follows the Bold's design phrasing and layout, but that's about it, the hardware is completely different, different screen, camera, chipset... really the Tour is more like a Full-QWERTY, non-touchscreen Storm than it is a CDMA 89xx Curve or Bold. I'm just going to say that, until a 9600, 9610, or 9620 come out, the 9630 is CDMA unique and has no GSM counterpart.
    05-25-09 02:00 AM
    To tell the truth, I don't really know that the Tour is enough like either the 8900 or the 9000 to call it a CDMA variant of either device. Initially, the Nigara codename was supposedly the "9030" and a Jupiter 8930 was rumored, however, the Jupiter just sort of faded away and the Nigara was re-numbered the 9630, putting it in it's own distinct model series. It follows the Bold's design phrasing and layout, but that's about it, the hardware is completely different, different screen, camera, chipset... really the Tour is more like a Full-QWERTY, non-touchscreen Storm than it is a CDMA 89xx Curve or Bold. I'm just going to say that, until a 9600, 9610, or 9620 come out, the 9630 is CDMA unique and has no GSM counterpart.
    Which is the point I was making...

05-25-09 02:10 AM

I guess to compare the devices hardware wize may not put it in a counterpart way..

but the true fact is that the 9630 is going to attack the same market as the bold on at&t..

there is no other phone in the verizon lineup that will do this.. and because its much higher up then a curve it is attacking that market..
    05-25-09 02:34 AM
    Which is the point I was making...
    I agree, I was just responding to the ones that responded to you, my fault for not quoting anyone.

I guess to compare the devices hardware wize may not put it in a counterpart way..

but the true fact is that the 9630 is going to attack the same market as the bold on at&t..
    Agreed, but things with this phone are just sort of confusing... my way of putting things tends to be complicated so I'm just going to state it simple.

The Tour is the CDMA "Bold" for marketing and lineup placement purposes, however...
    The Tour is unique enough that it is not similar to a Bold in hardware, simply in design.

Is that a fair summary?
    05-27-09 02:53 AM
    I agree, I was just responding to the ones that responded to you, my fault for not quoting anyone.

Agreed, but things with this phone are just sort of confusing... my way of putting things tends to be complicated so I'm just going to state it simple.

The Tour is the CDMA "Bold" for marketing and lineup placement purposes, however...
    The Tour is unique enough that it is not similar to a Bold in hardware, simply in design.

Is that a fair summary?

that pretty much sums it up.

It sure looks as snappy as the bold in the videos.. CX stated that the bold only beats it when it comes to major multi tasking...

so thats a pretty good plus side.. Not to mention it has more application memory
    05-27-09 03:19 AM
    It sure looks as snappy as the bold in the videos.. CX stated that the bold only beats it when it comes to major multi tasking...

so thats a pretty good plus side.. Not to mention it has more application memory
    So the newest CDMA Blackberry [yet unreleased] 9630 is "comparable" to the 9000 Bold, a phone that is a seven month old "fossil". Shouldn't we be comparing it to the Onyx, a phone slated for release in a similar time winow as the 9630?

It seems to me that RIM's strategy is flawed in this regard: 9630 is the first new BB in six months (since Storm) and is no performance improvement over the 9000 Bold. Imagine Dell releasing a new workstation that is not quite as good as one they released 7 months ago.

Am I wrong to expect each new RIM device to be raising the bar on performance and features over the last? In the "big picture" of Blackberries, the 9630 is obsolete before its released, and its a certifiable relic when the Onyx is released. The 9630 should be BETTER than the 9000, and then the Onyx better still a couple months after that. (Please don't go off about the Pearl, because we all know thats a low-end phone for girls and grandmothers -- I'm talking about business class, full QWERTY, full feature devices -- you'd be missing the forest for the trees to argue about different classes of phones.)

The only reason anybody will buy the 9630 is because they are locked into a Verizon contract (or are otherwise attracted to CDMA) and this is the best option available. If all phones worked on all radio bands, nobody would want this phone. For the same price they'd get a Bold or wait a couple more months for the Onyx.

Tell me where I'm wrong.
    05-27-09 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD