Jumping ship to the Droid. While I enjoy the whole BB experience ( 2 Storm1, 3 Tours)- I find myself wanting more of a 'novelty' smartphone. Yes, I know many say that the BBM is great- I rarely if ever use it- and the email is what BB is known for, but I really don't find myself needing instant-email. I think the Android OS is only going to gain in popularity and the now-available 20,000 apps is only going to grow- and surpass the iPhone.

Thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-09 07:02 AM
    Im happy with my Droid but make no mistake--email sucks, even if not considering push.

I can't even get my edu account to work on it.

Its superb if Gmail is your primary account though. Which, mine is.

With the outages RIM has seen as of late, email on the Droid is more reliable, too
    Last edited by adrynalyne; 12-25-09 at 08:20 AM.
    12-25-09 08:15 AM
    they will never surpass the apple app store
    12-25-09 09:53 AM
    Jumping ship to the Droid. While I enjoy the whole BB experience ( 2 Storm1, 3 Tours)- I find myself wanting more of a 'novelty' smartphone. Yes, I know many say that the BBM is great- I rarely if ever use it- and the email is what BB is known for, but I really don't find myself needing instant-email. I think the Android OS is only going to gain in popularity and the now-available 20,000 apps is only going to grow- and surpass the iPhone.

Thoughts?

Best of luck

I have a Tour (#3) and am (not so) patiently waiting for the Tour 2 to arrive. My brother has the Droid and he loves it. I played with it for almost an hour a few days ago and it is an incredible phone. Will not lie - I am biased completely as I have used multiple smart-phones and never find anything that I like as much as my BlackBerry.

The Droid has an incredible browser and the screen certainly is one of the best ones on the market. Even the touch responsiveness impressed me. But make sure before you commit to the purchase that you heavily try out the text input. Both the landscape and portrait soft keyboards I found difficult to use (when typing much slower than on my blackberry). They recorded a large amount of incorrect inputs - and I am no rookie with touch devices I have owned the iPhone 3GS and the Storm 1 and Storm 2. Furthermore, the physical keyboard is off centered and more towards the left which either resulted in extreme fatigue in my right hand from reaching or just incorrect letter input.

That being said my brother has none of these problems so the phone is clearly a personal preference. Just make sure before you commit you play with it.

Regardless of your decision, best of luck and Happy Holidays!
    12-25-09 09:57 AM

What does that have to do with anything?
    12-29-09 11:24 AM
    With the outages RIM has seen as of late, email on the Droid is more reliable, too
    RIM has a 99.80% uptime record for their service, which is pretty incredible when you think about it. That's why it is so noticed when it does have the occasional failure.
    12-29-09 03:23 PM
    Enjoy your new phone, hopefully you will stick around here to tell us how it is
    12-29-09 03:37 PM
    RIM has a 99.80% uptime record for their service, which is pretty incredible when you think about it. That's why it is so noticed when it does have the occasional failure.
    Since I got my Tour last August to present, its gone down three times (nationwide) that I know of, for lengthy periods. They were all covered by crackberry as well.

Thats pretty damn noticeable, even to someone not using a Blackberry. Thats also not occasional, that borders on pretty damn frequently. I know RIM has a good track record, but from appearances, they may be slipping.
    Last edited by adrynalyne; 12-29-09 at 04:52 PM.
    12-29-09 04:50 PM
    the most famous words to tell somebody when they leave, "you'll be back, yep! they always come back . good luck dude may " the R.I.M. be with you"
    12-29-09 08:40 PM
    Too bad a fair chunk of those are worthless as it is. Inflated numbers ftw
    12-29-09 08:50 PM
    I got rid of my Bold for a Droid. Had it for 3 days. Hated it! Worst smart phone ever. Clunky and hard to use. Its a wanna be iphone that isn't executed nearly as well. Its a 3 step process just to dial the phone. Horrible touch screen, and not one but all three of the keyboards suck. The only thing decent is the browser, but it doesn't use the pinch zoom so that adds to the clunk factor.

I am now on the Tour and loving it. Its not quite as nice as my bold, but the VZW service is 1000x better. My only complaint with BB is that their browser blows, but who really wants to surf the web on their phone?
    12-29-09 09:37 PM
    Since I got my Tour last August to present, its gone down three times (nationwide) that I know of, for lengthy periods. They were all covered by crackberry as well.

Thats pretty damn noticeable, even to someone not using a Blackberry. Thats also not occasional, that borders on pretty damn frequently. I know RIM has a good track record, but from appearances, they may be slipping.
    I've had a BB for almost 2 years and these last couple of outages are rare. I find it ridiculous and dissapointing when I read that some BB users are threatening to leave because of it, especially with the outstanding track record that RIM has. Good luck with any other device if email is that important to you. The grass is not always greener.

12-29-09 09:55 PM
    I've had a BB for almost 2 years and these last couple of outages are rare. I find it ridiculous and dissapointing when I read that some BB users are threatening to leave because of it, especially with the outstanding track record that RIM has. Good luck with any other device if email is that important to you. The grass is not always greener.

Agree 100%!! Cracks me up folks admit to having a phone over a year and then go off about data being down for several hours a total of three times. that's a track record I can work with.
    12-29-09 10:16 PM
    I have a feeling you'll be back.
    12-29-09 10:37 PM
    I, Too, have been tempted by some of the droid phones popping up, and I most recently was looking at the HTC available from sprint. The problem that I have is once I get used to something, like the blackberry, I am ever so hesitant to switch. I only considered the HTC because I was standing in line at best buy to exchange my brand new Tour that was giving me trouble. I had read about the poor battery life and minor glitches in the HTC, and that alone was enough to make me wary. Then I thought about not having a physical keyboard and that is what made the decision for me. I just cannot let go of having a full keyboard in front of me at all times.
    I got a replacement Tour and this phone has been awesome, I have no complaints at all, it has not given me a bit of trouble and does everything I want/need (and a lot more just for showing off) and I just don't think that I am ready to switch to another device (not to mention the growing investment in 3rd party apps that will carry over to any new BB device I get).
    I am getting a little impatient waiting for the official 5.0 os release since I choose not to install any leaked os software on my phone.
    For now, I will remain a BB user as I just don't think that I need anything more that this.

12-29-09 11:37 PM
    Droid is a good phone but android OS is very qwerky. as in no speed dials(have to add a icon on the screen) kinda forces you to use gmail(not that gmail is bad but you may have an email with another server) and cant send ringtones or tether out of the box.
    12-29-09 11:44 PM
    Agree 100%!! Cracks me up folks admit to having a phone over a year and then go off about data being down for several hours a total of three times. that's a track record I can work with.
    Seeing how I am the one who mentioned the three times originally, I assume you are addressing me. I got my blackberry 5 months ago.

5. August. 8th month of the year. Its now just shy of January 2010.

Not over a year ago.

Three major outages in 5 months? If you find that acceptable, or rare, then you have very low standards. Maybe it was a fluke, but it was the premise that I made my original comment about Droid email being more reliable (which was tongue in cheek anyway).
    12-30-09 01:00 AM
    Droid is a good phone but android OS is very qwerky. as in no speed dials(have to add a icon on the screen) kinda forces you to use gmail(not that gmail is bad but you may have an email with another server) and cant send ringtones or tether out of the box.
    1. Speed dial absence is annoying. Here is to hoping for an update.
    2. Yes you can.
    3. Neither can any other smartphone. All of them require a third party app or hack.
    12-30-09 01:03 AM
    i use my phone for only a few things and i am VERY tech savvy

1. email
    2. sms, aim, bbm
    3. look up phone numbers and addresses(beyond411 and google maps)
    4. sports scores(scoremobile)
    5. phone calls obviously
    6. organziation(calendar, tasks, memopad)
    7. take pics and videos when sometime catches my eye
    8. alarm clock
    9. look up something on google(quick fact)

although it is nice to have a phone that does everything, and i have tried experimented with many different blackberry apps i find that a smartphone is just that, a phone that can do a few other things, it cant do everything, or at least well.

web browsing sucks on all mobile phones, screen is small, hard to navigate and type, berry is good for typing iphone is good for browsing, and is way too slow to do anything other than google a few things

games stink, controlling a game on the iphone with no physical controls, or a berry or similar device with small buttons and not to mention the small screen, leaves much to be desired

the only game i really played much on my berry was sudoku

reading full news articles on a small screen isnt fun either

the berry does everything i could want a phone to do well. youll never find a phone that plays games or browses the web as well as a gaming machine or a computer. its good in a pinch but if im not home to use my real machines then im probably out doing something where i should be focusing my time on the task at hand or the people who are around me rather than screwing around with an inferior device to do meaningless tasks.

if a device comes out with a better keyboard and better email ill gladly switch, but i dont see that being the case so the berry is for me.
    12-30-09 06:31 AM
    I got rid of my Bold for a Droid. Had it for 3 days. Hated it! Worst smart phone ever. Clunky and hard to use. Its a wanna be iphone that isn't executed nearly as well. Its a 3 step process just to dial the phone. Horrible touch screen, and not one but all three of the keyboards suck. The only thing decent is the browser, but it doesn't use the pinch zoom so that adds to the clunk factor.

I am now on the Tour and loving it. Its not quite as nice as my bold, but the VZW service is 1000x better. My only complaint with BB is that their browser blows, but who really wants to surf the web on their phone?
    Get opera 5 mini beta 2. It is the best browser IMO. I'm using it on my Tour and its great.

M.opera.com

12-30-09 09:58 AM
    I honestly don’t know what’s with this “app” fetish is all about. To me your $500 phone should do all that right from the box and not have to purchase apps and have them taking up memory and running in the background
    12-30-09 12:13 PM
    Then maybe you should look into feature phones? They are setup precisely for that mindset.
    12-30-09 12:16 PM
    I have been using blackberrys for a few years now and nothing seems to surpass the quality of these devices, sure the storm had issues but what phone that's a brand new kind doesn't? The new OS and the storm 2 are having very minor if any issues at all from what I have seen. When the droid came out I waited a few weeks to see some reviews about it and everyone seemed to love it so I bought one and returned it within a few days. I think once your so used to a blackberry everything else just seems sub par to these devices. Sure they don't have as many apps and all but realisticly, how often are you going to use all those apps? I downloaded a ton and in the few days, never found a use for them. The quick email and great quality of blackberrys is what keeps me on them. But, everyone has their needs so I think you should give it a whirl and see if you like it. If your happy then awesome... If not go back to your berry. Simple as that. Hope this helps.

12-30-09 12:24 PM

Thoughts?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/all-...t-here-260887/
    12-30-09 12:26 PM
    All I can say is good luck and yes hopefully you will let us know how you like it. From what everyone else has said on here that went "Droid", you will probably be back to your BB after the bling wears off. I have loved my Tour since day one, no problems what so ever. I have had my share of bling phones over the years and feel pretty good about finally finding a smartphone that works!!!
    12-30-09 12:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD